Love, the Hardest Way

18

I finally made it to bed at 2, although I was nowhere near tired; jetlag. I had spent the last goodness knows how long sat in the living room with Bambi and Fish convincing them there was nothing going between Bam and I. They kept saying stuff like ‘chemistry’ and ‘sexual tension’ and ‘the look’. Who knew what the fuck they were on about though? There was no way anything would happen between us, for one there was the distance thing, there is no way I could handle a long distance relationship, just wasn’t my thing. Second, he’d just gotten divorced, he probably isn’t looking for anything serious, and he may still even be on the rebound. Third, Bam was world famous, he had girls falling t his feet, why on earth would he pick me.
Unfortunately, the girls were unshakeable; saying that they were so sure something would happen between the two of us that they would even put a bet on it. £100 saying that Bam and I would get together by New Years. It was now July, so there was only five months until I was £100 pounds richer.
For the next month I felt stupidly lonely. I was still really happy with my life, the girls and I were as close as ever, the new season was getting better and better and we were living the dream. But something felt like it was missing. And whenever I talked to Bam, it felt like that missing piece was partially, temporarily filled.
Even though I wasn’t letting it show, the girls knew me better than that, they could see right through me. So one day they came up to me as I was coming out of the shower.
“We know you’ve been feeling a bit lonely lately.” Bambi started.
“And that you’ve not been on a proper date or anything for ages.” Fish added.
“So, we’ve got a little surprise organised for you.”
“We think you deserve a little fun.”
“So put some nice clothes on and get ready to go to The Gun.”
“You have half an hour.”
It was then that I noticed Joe behind them filming everything; guess this would be part of the next episode or something.
“Did you guys rehearse that?”
“A little bit.” Bambi smirked.
I got ready in some nice restaurant-worthy clothes, simple make-up and messed up my blow-dried blue hair. To be honest I was little nervous and suspicious as to what the surprise was going to be. They sounded genuine that they wanted me to have fun, but the fact it was being filmed seemed suspicious.
We got to The Gun and sat down, Bambi, Fish, myself and Joe so he could film; there was one extra seat next to me.
“OK, so why is there an extra seat?” I asked, thinking it had something to do with the surprise.
“Well, I talked to a friend of mine, and their joining us.” Fish replied.
“What type of friend?”
“The single, sexy guy type.”
“Aw man! Have you guys set me up on a blind date?”
“Yep, but don’t worry, we’re here too so it won’t be awkward.”
At this I calmed down. We ordered some drinks for the table and chatted for a few minutes before my mystery ‘date’ showed up.
His name was Cameron, but he insisted on being called Cam. He seemed lovely, but I just wasn’t interested in any way except as a friend. My mind elsewhere. For example, his nickname was Cam, which sounded a lot like the nickname of someone else who was on my mind. That if he cut his hair, it would look a bit like Bam’s. If I looked at him sideways *OK, just shut up now....*.
By the time dinner was over, we said goodbye to Cam and went home.
“Well...?” Bambi urged.
“He was lovely. You could have picked a lot worse.” I replied truthfully.
“But he’s no Bam.” Fish added.
How did these girls know me so well? It was if they could read my mind, I still hadn’t admitted I had feeling for Bam, I couldn’t, not yet. But they still seemed to know every time he was on my mind, which was more and more often nowadays.
We were finally at our door when Bambi stopped me putting the key in.
“OK, so we kinda knew that the blind date with Cam wasn’t the greatest surprise, but we needed something to get you out of the house for a while.”
“What the hell are you talking about?”
“Open the door and take a look.”
Ever so cautiously, I unlocked the door and creaked it open slowly, only to see the best sight.