Love, the Hardest Way

19

Sprawled across the sofa, with his back to the door, Bam was flicking through the channels of our TV with Vex lying down next to him. He hadn’t heard us come in, so naturally I crept up behind him and screamed loudly in his ear before jumping on him.
“Well hi to you too.” Bam laughed, hugging me.
“How ya been?” I asked, suddenly quite hyper.
“Bored. There’s nothing to do in West Chester.”
“Aww, what a poor babs.” Ahh, how I love sarcasm.
“Fuck off.”
“OK.” I said, hopping off the sofa and walking back to the girls and Joe.
“Nooooo!” Suddenly I was tackled to the floor, when I was finally able to look up, I saw Bam sat on top of me.
“This is becoming something of a thing for us isn’t it? Sitting on each other.” I commented, laughing. Trying to play off that he was so incredibly close to me, I definitely couldn’t let him catch on to the fact that it meant something a little different to me.
“Hmmm true.”
“So how long have the girls managed to rope you into staying here?” I asked, squirming my way from underneath Bam.
“Just the week. I gotta get out to LA on next Sunday, so you’re stuck with me for 8 whole days!”
“Cool.” I said. Secretly I wanted him to stay longer; my birthday was the day after he left. I was going to be 24. Eurgh. But there was no way I could make him stay, I would feel too guilty for making him miss whatever he had to do in LA, and forcing him to stay may just make him feel awkward.
We spent the rest of the day just hanging around the house watching films and eating pizza. Bam even tried to teach me how to skate, which was a disaster. I fell flat on my bum after about three seconds. Joe managed to get it on film, including everyone laughing at my expense, even me. It was such a nice day, just hanging out, relaxing, and not pulling shit on each other for once. We even sent Joe home early so we weren’t even being filmed.
By the time we were all finally tired enough to go to sleep, we noticed the problem, three beds, four people.
“It’s no problem; I’ll just sleep on one of the couches.” Bam yawned.
“Dude, those couches are only big enough for two people to sit on, there’s no way a fully grown man could sleep on it.” Fish said.
“Seriously, it’s no problem, I’ve slept on a fucking deck chair on an island, it’s no biggie.”
“Suit yourself.”
While Bambi and Fish went off to their rooms, I went to the storage cupboard to get Bam a duvet and pillow.
“Here you go.”
“Thanks Scar. I’ll see ya in the morning. Night.”
“Night Bam.”
I wandered up to my room and got ready for bed. I suddenly didn’t feel that sleepy so I picked up my book and started reading for a while. I got so engrossed that when I next looked up it was 3am. I was quite thirsty, so I crept down to the kitchen to get a glass of water.
“You still awake?” I heard someone whisper in the dark.
“Shit!” I said, jumping a foot in the air.
“Don’t worry, it’s only me.”
“Bam, you scared the shit out of me! What are you still doing up?”
I switched a lamp on so I could see where I was going.
“I couldn’t get to sleep, that couch is just too fucking small.”
“Well, Fish did warn you.”
“Yeah I know.”
By this time Bam had followed me into the kitchen, waited while I got my water and followed me to my room.
“Come on in. I’m not really that tired.”
We climbed onto my bed and lay back. We talked for ages, just about random shit; I couldn’t even remember half of it. Before I knew it, my eyes were starting to droop, my head lolling into my chest.
“I’ll go back downstairs and let you get to sleep.” Bam whispered, getting up off the bed.
“Nah, stay. You can’t get to sleep on the couch anyway. You might as well stay here.”
“You sure?”
“Yeah, I got a big enough bed. Make yourself at home.”
With that we both got under the covers of my bed and fell asleep facing each other.