Love, the Hardest Way

22

As I opened my eyes I felt weird. On the one hand, it was my 24th birthday! On the other, I didn’t get to see Bam much on Saturday or Sunday before he had to leave last night. It was weird sleeping in my bed on my own again.
I hadn’t mentioned my birthday to Bam, I didn’t want him to feel obliged to stay or anything. But at the same time I was quite sad that he didn’t stay, I really wanted him to be there, it seemed like with him around I felt whole.
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!” Fish and Bambi screeched, snapping me out of my reverie. They and Vex all jumped onto my bed and snuggled under the covers with me to open my presents which they had brought in with them. This was our tradition, opening presents in bed, then the birthday girl gets to request whatever food she wants for breakfast and the others make it.
My best friends did wonders in making my birthday amazing, the presents, the pancake breakfast, the decorations. It was all wonderful and I loved it, but of course someone was missing.
“And we have one more surprise for you.” Fish told me as we sat on the sofa watching Madagascar 2.
“Ooooooh, what is it?” I jumped up and down on the sofa, I was now extremely hyper.
“Haha! You’re gonna have to wait until this evening to get it.” Bambi laughed.
“But for now, we’re going to help you get ready for the occasion.” Fish added.
And with that, they dragged me back upstairs to my room and shoved me in the shower. Once I was done in there they sat me down and got to work. They picked out my new birthday clothes to wear,, did my hair, my makeup; everything. But they wouldn’t let me see what they were doing.
By the time they deemed me ready for the surprise, it was 6.30pm.
“Perfect timing.” They smiled at each other; I was starting to get nervous.
Out the door we went and climbed into our car with me in the backseat so I wouldn’t be able to immediately tell where we were going.
After driving for 25 minutes, we had apparently reached our destination. An alleyway.
“Uh, great. So what kind of surprise do I find in an alleyway?” I was genuinely confused.
“Oh silly. You won’t find your surprise in the alleyway. You’ll find a door that leads to your surprise in the alleyway.” Bambi patted me on the head.
“Okaaaaay.”
“Come on this way.” Fish grabbed mine and Bambi’s hands and led us towards a slightly grimy looking door. Where the hell did this lead?
“Well, go on, open it.”
I reached for the handle and just as I was open to grab it, the door flew open inwards, showing me what could only have been my surprise.
Bam.
“Happy birthday!!” Bam cried, grabbing me and pulling me into a bear hug.
“Thanks! But I thought you were back in the States by now.”
“Haha! All a cunning ploy for your birthday, as organised by these two.” Bam pointed at Bambi and Fish.
“You guys are the best!” I said, running over to hug my friends.
“We know we are.” Bambi laughed.
“And you know this means our birthdays better be amazing too.” Fish joked.
“You can count on it.”
“Now, go have fun! We’ll be at the bar.” Fish said as they walked off down some hallway.
“Bar?”
“Yeah, we’re at The Cockpit.”
“No way! Why?” I asked, wondering why we were at my favourite bar/gig place.
“You’ll see.”
Was there more to my surprise than just Bam being here?