Love, the Hardest Way

24

The rest of the summer was spent with my best friends. The three of us decided to go on a road trip, through Europe. It was amazing. The only sad part was that we weren’t allowed to take Vex with us, something about quarantine, lame. So he went to stay at my parent’s home and play with their two dogs.
We set off in a Range Rover, the three of us and trusty Joe the camera guy. MTV had said this would make a great entrance into the new season. And so we set off, driving down to Dover, catching a ferry to Calais and then onto the adventure proper.
It was hilarious. We went to the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany, the Alps, the Coliseum in Rome, the Berlin Wall and so many other places. And at each place a prank was pulled on one of us and one on the unsuspecting public. We even almost got arrested a few times.
We were gone for almost 3 months, so it was September when we finally picked up Vex from my family home and drove up our own driveway and slept in our own beds again. The amount of European doggy gifts we got for Vex more than made up our three month disappearance in his mind. We spoiled him rotten those next few days, taking him on long walks, getting the posh dog food and buying him loads of toys to add to his growing collection.
A week after we got home, my phone buzzed from the coffee table where I put it while we watched a movie.
So I hear you’re finally back from your European adventure. How was it? Bam
I must have been smiling my face off, because Bambi and Fish gave me a knowing look.
“Text off Bam?” Fish asked.
“Maybe.”
“Well then go and call him or something. You know you’ve been missing him like crazy.” Bambi put in.
“Yeah, ok.” I didn’t even try to argue with them, they knew my feelings for him more than I did, and I was finally admitting that.
The girls just smiled at me while I made my way out of the living room and up the stairs to my room while I dialled Bam’s number.
*ring*ring*ri..*
“Hey you.” I forgot how amazing his voice was. All warm and happy, I could almost see his smile.
“Hey, how’ve you been?”
“Not bad thanks, missing your pranks though.”
“Haha, yeah, you should have seen some of the pranks we inflicted on the poor Europeans. We almost got arrested.”
“Ha! That’s always the sign of a good trip.”
“Definitely.”
“So how long you been back?”
“Just over a week. Sorry I didn’t tell you earlier. We had to make up being so long to Vex.”
“Apology accepted. When you going to make it up to me then?”
“Hmm?”
“Well this is the longest we’ve gone without seeing each other since we met. It’s weird.”
I had to silently agree with him on that fact. I actually hadn’t got a good night’s sleep in a bed on my own since he left.
“I promise to make it up to you as soon as I next see you.”
“You promise?”
“Haha, I just said I promise.”
“OK, I’m holding you to that then.”
Suddenly the doorbell rung, it must be Edy come to catch up on what happened in Europe and discuss the coming season with us; he said he would be popping over at some point. One of the girls opened the door and let him in. I covered the phone and stuck my head around my door.
“Tell Edy I’ll be down in a minute, I’m just on the phone.”
“Got it.” I heard Fish laughing.
“Hey, sorry about that.” I said to Bam.
“No, problem.” He said, he was laughing.
“Look, I’m gunna have to go, I think Edy just got here. But I’ll talk to you later, ok?”
“Yeah, sure. Sounds good.” Why was he still laughing?
“Bye then.”
“Bye.”
I ended the call, pocketed my phone and made my way down to the living room.