Love, the Hardest Way

8

“VEX!!” All three of us screamed, making our beloved dog jump up at us in excitement, barking his head off.
“Oh my god, you came home! You smart little dog!” Fish yelling, hugging Vex and rolling around on the floor.
“Now it’s a real Christmas!” Bambi added, going over to them to hug Vex as well.
“Oh my god, thank you! You don’t even realise what this means to us!” I said, throwing myself into a giant hug with the person who brought Vex back, not even bothering to look at who they were.
“Haha, it’s alright. I thought maybe it was time to finish up his walk.” The person replied. Something about their voice sounded so familiar, but I couldn’t quite place it.
I pulled away, suddenly curious about who our mystery Christmas saviour was. Suddenly, I was more wary. Upon seeing who it was, I didn’t know what to think.
“Bam, what the fuck are you doing here?” I yelled; the girls were too caught up with playing with Vex to notice.
“I’m here to return Vex, obviously.” He stated, laughing, his blue eyes sparkling with humour.
“You had Vex?” I said, dead serious.
“Yeah, he looked like he wanted to go for a walk, so I took him for one. I told Edy.” He was still laughing.
“You ass! I can’t believe you!” I jumped on him, which he didn’t expect. We fell backwards into the hallway with me straddling Bam.
“I can’t believe you just took Vex. We thought he’d died!” I said, hitting Bam while he tried to protect himself.
“I can’t believe you think you can out-jackass a professional jackass!” Bam replied still laughing at me, quoting what I had said to him so many months ago.
“Wait, was this what Edy was trying to hide from us for the Christmas special?” I asked to no one in particular. Everything suddenly clicked into place, Edy’s secrecy, Joe following us around with the camera all through the whole ordeal, everything.
“Hell fucking yeah. And it was totally worth being in England on Christmas Day.”
“Oh fuck yeah. You’re missing Christmas at home just to come here and prank us?”
“Well I couldn’t have some little English girls ruining my rep.”
“Well you might as well come in then. I mean, we should thank you properly for returning our baby safe and sound. Even if it was you who took her in the first place.”
By this time I had realised I was still sat on top of Bam. Him just lying on the floor with that smirk *adorable smirk* on his face. I could feel the heat from his hands as they rested on my legs. It seemed as if that heat was travelling all the way up my body and into my cheeks as I realised that this position could be quite compromising.
“Problem?” He still had that smirk plastered on his face.
“No, not at all. Why would you think that?” I was slightly defensive, feeling off balance by the fact that I was blushing over a guy.
“Oh, no reason, just that you invited me in then made no attempt to move.”
“Oh shush you, I was just distracted.” This was partly true, I just wasn’t going to tell him that it was the placement of his hands that had distracted me.
I stood up off him and offered him my hand. He took my hand and started pulling himself up. When he was half way stood up, I let his hand go, causing him to fall back flat on his ass.
“Now we’re even.” I said, turning around and making my way back into the apartment to finally greet Vex properly. I knew Bam was only a few steps behind me.
The rest of the day went as a proper Christmas should; with friends, presents and eggnog. Having a new friend there only made it better. Of course the whole day got filmed, but all of us were so used to being under the lens now that we barely took any notice. The only thing I could think about all day was the warmth of Bam’s hands resting on my legs.