When Everything Gets Crazy, I Get Lost In You.

Chapter 2.

I'm sitting on the couch in between Adam and Jack, watching them as they play video games for what seems like the 15th hour. Truthfully, it's only been about two hours, but it feels a lot longer than that. I look up at the clock on the wall and see that it's 11:30. I look back down at Adam and see that he looks pretty content to continue playing with Jack for the rest of the night. I lean over and nuzzle at his neck a little and kiss his earlobe.

"Eww, whore. Get a room," Jack complains from beside me. I hear Adam laugh a little.

"If you come to bed with me, there's more where that came from," I whisper to him, ignoring Jack.

"I'll be in in a bit, Sophie Babe." I raise an eyebrow at him that he doesn't see because he's too busy staring at the television screen, then place a hand on each of their knees, using them to pull myself up off the couch.

"Night," I say to them. I get mumbled responses back. I roll my eyes and go into the bedroom alone.

I undress and get into bed, and shut out the lights, waiting for Adam to come in. About twenty minutes later, he comes in. I immediately get up and crawl over to the side of the bed where he's standing, and sit up on my knees, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him.

"I see that I'm right on time," he says to me.

"You should know by now that I can be way more entertaining to you than Jack can be."

When we're done, we fall asleep laying side by side, him with his arm tucked tightly around my waist like always. I can feel him breathing on the back of my hair and neck, and it feels really comforting. These are the moments I've been waiting for my whole life, it's just taken a lot for me to realize it. I fall asleep and don't wake up again until I hear a phone ringing loudly through the house.

I open my eyes and see that Adam has rolled over and is laying on his side asleep, apparently not hearing the phone. The alarm clock says 1:30 a.m. on it in big blue numbers. I pull myself together enough to pick up the phone and look at the caller ID. I don't recognize the number, but it says Cellular Call.

"Hello?" I rasp into the phone sleepily.

"Hey, Sophie. It's Christian," voice recognition kicks in for me, and I remember Adam's brother saying something the last time I talked to him about coming home from where he lives in Canada.

"Chris, you know how much I love talking to you, but it's so late."

"I know, I'm sorry to wake you up, but uh... I need to talk to Adam, is he there?" his voice sounds stressed out and tired.

"Yeah, is everything alright?"

"Not really. Can you put him on, please?"

"Of course. Hang on just a second." I place the phone against my chest and shake Adam's shoulder lightly.

"Babe, it's for you," I say to him.

"Unhhh," he groans.

"Adam, it's Christian." He rolls over onto his back and looks at me sleepily.

"What time is it?"

"One thirty," I say.

"Who is it?"

"Christian. It kind of sounded like an emergency." he takes the phone from me and puts it up to his ear.

"Chris?" he says. I sit up in bed and listen to what Adam says, since I can't hear Christian through the phone.

"You're in town?" Adam says. There's a long pause while Christian talks, and I see Adam get a confused look on his face.

"Is he OK?" Adam asks. Another pause.

"What hospital are they taking him to?" I start to get up out of bed, knowing that if someone is in the hospital, we're going to have to go. Adam grabs my thigh to keep me where I am, while he continues to talk.

"Should we come over there? I mean, how bad is it?" Adam asks. My heart is pounding a mile a minute, I have no clue what is happening, but it doesn't sound good.

"OK. We'll be there as soon as possible. Did you call Caitlin and Cale?" It suddenly dawns on me that something has happened to one of Adam's parents. That's the only reason Chris would call in the middle of the night.

I push out of Adam's grasp and go into the walk in closet to get dressed quickly, knowing that we'll have to leave as soon as he gets off the phone.

"Alright, bye." I hear Adam hang up the phone, so I go back into the bedroom and see him staring up at the ceiling.

"What happened?" I ask him.

"My dad had a heart attack. It's not looking too good right now," he says to me quietly.

"We should get going then." He nods and gets up out of bed. I pull on a pair of boots and my black trench coat, and go out to the kitchen to leave Jack a note.

Jack-
Adam's dad is in the hospital. I don't know how long we're going to be there, so take care of the dogs and make sure you get to your probation meeting on time today. We love you and we'll call as soon as we know something.


I feel Adam walk past me as I'm writing the note, and I see him going towards the garage door. I follow him out and we get into the Tahoe without a word to each other.

"What hospital did they take him to?" I ask him, as we back out of the driveway.

"St. Mary's." I nod.

We drive down the empty roads out towards town. It's about a fifteen minute drive to the hospital from where we live. I grab the charm on my necklace and wrench it back and forth on it's chain. Adam has one hand on his chin while he's driving. I can tell he probably has a million thoughts running through his head.

"I haven't even talked to my parents in like, six months. Ever since I blew up at them that one time," he says to me as we pull up to a stop sign.

"It's going to be OK, Adam. They have really good doctors, and they're going to fix him up good as new, and ready to fight with you some more," I say to him. He smirks a little, then the tense look is back on his face.

We pull into the emergency parking lot of the hospital, and park. Adam waits for me at the front of the car and we walk hand in hand into the building. We go up to the front lobby desk and Adam asks about his dad. They point us up to the second floor where apparently they deal with Cardiac issues. We take an elevator up there, and as soon as we get off of it, I see Adam's whole family sitting on chairs in a little waiting area. His sister Caitlin and her husband, John, and his brothers, Cale and Christian. They all look up at us as we walk up to them. Christian comes over and gives us both hugs.

"How is he doing?" Adam asks him.

"We're waiting for his blood pressure to come down so they can do surgery. Mom is in there with him now. They said we could go in in pairs in a couple minutes, just until his blood pressure goes down." Adam nods and looks at the rest of his family. Caitlin looks up at us for the first time since we got here, and she looks like pure hell. It's obvious to me that she's been crying her eyes out, and she's shaking uncontrollably. Her husband and Cale are holding her around her shoulders.

"What is she doing here?" she spits to them.

"They're family, Cait," Cale says to her. I look at Adam, confused. I know that his family is all a little tense, but I don't understand what she's upset with me about.

"Adam is family. That woman he calls a wife is not. She's done nothing but pull him away from us since she's known him."

"What are you talking about, Caitlin? No one has pulled me away from any of you. My problems with mom and dad were there long before I even knew Sophie," Adam says, exasperated.

"Mom and Daddy have done nothing but love you, your whole life Adam, and you've treated them like shit," she yells, hysterically. "Like when you got out of rehab. Instead of being home like you should have been, you were off with her while she cheated on her boyfriend or fiance, or whatever he was!"

"You don't know shit about any of that, so shut the fuck up, Caitlin!" Adam yells. I pull at his arm a little.

"Adam, stop. This is not helping anyone, here,"

"Think about it, Adam. She cheated on her boyfriend with you, who is she cheating on you with? Mom said that she was looking pretty cozy with that puck ass drug addict that she has living in your house, that you work hard for," she yells.

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about! You're taking mom's word on this, are you kidding me?!"

"Both of you shut the hell up, right now," Christian yells. "Dad is in the fucking hospital right now, we don't know if he's going to fucking make it, and all you two can do is yell at each other? Seriously, get over yourselves, because this is not what Dad would want us to be doing right now."

Adam and Caitlin both keep staring at each other for a second, then I pull him down into a chair. We all sit there in silence. Me, Adam, and Christian, in one set of chairs, and Caitlin, John, and Cale in the set across from us. There is an empty chair next to Caitlin for their mother when she comes out.

A moment later, a doctor comes in the room and tells us that we can all start going in the room in pairs. Caitlin goes in to sit with her mother and father, and the rest of us decide that we'll go in next.

I'm sitting in between Adam and Christian, staring at the ground. It's a little better not having Caitlin's eyes digging holes in the top of my head. The things she said really caught me off guard. I mean, I knew that she thought those things, I knew that everyone in this family with the exception of Chris thought those things, but no one has ever really come out and said them to me. I don't say anything to Adam, knowing that he's going through a lot on his own right now.

"You can go in with Adam when it's his turn," Christian says to me quietly, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"No, you go in. You're family, you should go in together," I say to him.

"I'll go in with Caley. Adam will need you in there more than me." I don't say anything, and neither does Adam. When the doctor comes back out with Caitlin and Adam's mother behind him, Adam and I get up and go into the room together.

Adam's father is hooked up to all kinds of machines, monitoring his blood pressure and heart beat. His eyes are closed and it doesn't appear that he knows anyone is with him.

"He's unconscious," Adam says to me quietly, his voice shaking ever so slightly.

"Yeah. Lets sit down," I say. He nods and we sit down in the two chairs that are sitting next to the bed. I hold his hand in mine and we both watch his father in the bed for a few minutes, not saying anything.

"God, I hate this. I don't want to be here with any of them. I just want to go home and pretend this didn't happen," he says to me. I squeeze his hand tightly.

"It's OK, Babe. He's gonna be OK," I say, "He has to be."

We sit there for a few more minutes before the doctor comes in and tells us that they're going to let Cale and Christian in the room for a few minutes before they take him in to surgery. We go back out to the waiting room, where Adam gives his mother and sister hugs. They're both crying and holding each other. I can tell Adam is trying to let go of the things that were said when we got here, and things that have been said in the past, for his dad's sake. At least for right now.

Cale and Christian come out a few minutes later and tell us that they've taken their dad into surgery, and that it will probably be a couple hours before we know anything. I look up at the clock on the wall and see that it's already two in the morning. It's going to be a long night.

My phone rings in a text message and when I look at it, I see Austin's name on the caller ID. I flip my phone open and read the message.

Jackie's water just broke. I'm taking her to St. Mary's. OMFG, we're having a baby, Soph!

I sigh and hand the phone to Adam, watching as he reads the text message. He hands the phone back to me and shakes his head.

"At least something good is happening tonight," he says out loud. His family looks up at him confused.

"Our friends are on their way here. They're going to have a baby tonight," he says to them. His mother forces a smile.

"How wonderful, dear," she says. I don't text Austin back or call him. I figure that would be kind of rude to the family and what they're dealing with right now. I'll wait and go up to the maternity ward later to see him in person.

I take one of Adam's hands, and one of Christian's hands, and hold them together in mine, in my lap, circling their knuckles with my thumb absentmindedly. They both look down and are watching me do this.

"How about some coffee? Does anyone want some coffee? I'll go down and get it," I offer.

"Yeah, that sounds good. Do you want someone to go with you?" Christian asks me.

"If you want." We get up and walk together towards where the elevators are and take one down to the basement where the cafeteria is.

"I'm sorry about Caitlin," he says as we walk down the hall.

"It's OK. I know what everyone in this family thinks about me, it just takes one chaotic situation for people to show their true feelings," I say.

"Not everyone thinks that about you, Sophie. I think we all love you. We love that you make Adam happy, and that's what matters. Caitlin is just freaking out about Dad. She loves him more than any of us, probably."

"I know." We go into the cafeteria and order seven coffee's and haul them back up to the waiting area in drink carriers.

We go back to sitting in the waiting area, not talking to each other. Every now and then, I hear Caitlin sniffle, or someones boot scuff the floor. But, other than that and the other normal hospital noises, silence. I look back up and the clock. 2:30 a.m. I sigh and think again that it's going to be a long night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Drama! I love it... haha. Baby comes in the next chapter. *cough* Jackie *cough* ;)

Sophie's outfit.

Comments are like Arnold Palmer and ripped jeans. ;)