When Everything Gets Crazy, I Get Lost In You.

Chapter 36.

Adam and I rush into the hospital as fast as we can without actually running, and go up to the front desk to try and find out where they took Jackie when they got here. We tried calling Austin on the way here but he didn't answer, understandably.

The girl at the front desk directs us up to the third floor, so we hop on the elevator and head up. Adam holds my hand and looks up, watching the floors tick by.

"We've spent too much time in hospital's this year," he says, still looking up.

"I know it, babe."

"Let's make a pact."

"Okay."

"The next time we're in the hospital like this, we'll be waiting for our own baby."

"Deal." The doors open and we step out and turn to the right.

I see Austin's parent's sitting in chairs outside of the room. They look up at us as we approach them.

"Hey," I say to them. They both stand up and give me hugs. Austin's parents got divorced many years ago, but they've always stayed friends.

"How are things going? What are they saying?" I ask them.

"Well, she's definitely in labor. And she's only thirty-three weeks along, so the babies will most likely have to be immediately put in incubators in order to survive."

"OK, so there's a good chance that they're going to be fine."

"The doctor's said that it's fifty-fifty."

"They're preparing them for the worst though," Austin's dad pipes in.

"Oh my God. How are they holding up?"

"So-so."

"Can we see them?" Adam asks.

"Jackie's mother is in there with them now. We've been taking turns. I'm sure they'd want to see you guys though."

"OK. Come on, babe," Adam says, taking my hand and leading me across the hall to their room.

He knocks on the door and we wait for someone to answer. A nurse opens the door and smiles out at us.

"We're friends of Jackie's," he starts to say to her."

"Is that Adam? Oh my God. Let them in, nurse, please," we hear Jackie say from inside the room. The nurse moves to the side and we follow her into the room.

Jackie is laying on her side in the bed. Austin is sitting in a chair next to the bed, holding her hand. And her mother is standing on the other side of the bed.

"Hey baby," I say, walking around to the side of the bed that Austin is on.

"Thank God you guys are here," she says. Adam rubs the top of her arm a little.

"How are you guys doing?" I ask her.

"I'm okay. They gave me some drugs and had me lay on my side. It's supposed to keep me comfortable until we go into delivery."

"How are you doing?" Adam asks Austin.

"I'm hanging in there," he says, looking up at me with a look that says otherwise. I rub Jackie's leg.

"You're going to have your babies soon, J!" I say, trying to sound enthusiastic and positive.

"I just want them to be okay."

"They will be. Just think good thoughts and stay positive, you know? Good vibes," I tell her with a smile. Austin stands up then.

"Why don't we go out for a smoke?" he says to Adam and I.

"Yeah," Adam says, nodding.

"You gonna be okay here, babe?" he asks Jackie.

"Yeah, go ahead. Nothings gonna happen here for a little while. You can send your parents in here if you want." He nods and kisses her cheek, then follows Adam and I out of the room.

He talks to his parents out in the hallway for a few minutes, then we take the elevator back down to the first floor, not saying much to each other until we get outside.

"I'm freaking my shit, man," Austin says, lighting a cigarette.

"Where is Austin?" I ask him.

"With Cody and Danielle at our place." I nod and inhale from my cigarette.

"When are they taking her into delivery?" Adam asks.

"Not for another hour, I guess. That's why they gave her the drugs and keep rolling her on her sides."

"God, that seems like such a long time."

"I know. They said that the delivery should be fine, but it's after that that they're worried about. They said that they have fifty-fifty shot of being totally fine with no problems. Best case scenario, they go into incubators for a while. Worst case scenario-"

"Hey, don't even think about that," I interrupt him.

"It's hard, Sophie. I know I need to prepare for that just in case. Jackie will need me if that happens, and I can't fucking crumble when she needs me." I look up at Adam and see him looking down at his feet. I know that he still feels bad about how everything went down after I lost the baby.

I nudge him in the leg with my knee and he looks over at me.

"Just stay positive, man," he says to Austin. "and if something does happen, you know that you've got us on call. We'll come running." Austin nods.

"I was gonna call the other guys but Danielle told me that she would do it. Thank you guys for being here. You two are unreal."

"Did you guys ever decide on the names?" I ask him.

"Yeah. Karma Faith for the girl, and the last I knew she hadn't picked out the boy name yet."

"That's a nice name."

"You obviously can guess where the Faith came from." I smile at him.

"I tried to talk her out of it, but she was set on it. You know how she is."

"No, I really like it. It fits. You have to pick one for the boy though."

"Yeah," he pauses. "I don't know."

"We should get back up there," Adam says, dropping the butt of his cigarette on the ground and crushing it with the toe of his boot. Austin does the same with his.

"You guys go on up. I'm gonna call Jack real quick," I say. Adam gives my shoulder a tight squeeze, then him and Austin go back in the building.

I call Jack and tell him that we're probably going to be at the hospital for a while, and that he might as well go to bed and not wait up for us. Then I head back into the hospital myself.

Adam is sitting in the same set of chairs that Austin's parents were sitting in when we got to the hospital when I come back up. I sit in the chair next to him and he rests his head on my shoulder.

"Waiting is the worst part," I say to him. "Worse than the pain or any of it. The waiting to know whats going to happen to your baby is the worst part."

"These aren't even my kids and I feel all flipped out and worried for them," he says with a little laugh. I rub his leg gently. Austin comes out of the room and Adam lifts his head off of my shoulder to look at him.

"We're going into delivery soon. Could you call Danielle and give her the update, and check on Austin for me?"

"Yeah, honey of course. Is there anything else you need us to do?"

"Punch me in the head so I'm unconscious until this is over? Adam laughs at him a little.

"You should be conscious for this," I tell him.

"Just skip me ahead to the part where they're out, and healthy and we're taking them home." Adam and I get up and go over to him.

"Don't worry," I say, hugging him. "You'll be taking them home before you know it."

"I hope you're right."

"She usually is when it comes to you two," Adam says, making Austin smile weakly.

"That's true, I guess. I should get back in there."

"We'll go down and call Danielle, and be right back."

"OK. She wanted to ask you guys something before she went in, so hurry back."

"Will do."

Adam and I go back downstairs and I call Danielle and tell her the update, and ask about Little Austin. She tells me that she's going to call the other guys and let them know, so I hang up with her, and Adam and I go back up to talk to Jackie before she goes into delivery.

She's on a stretcher outside in the hallway when we come back up. She has a cap covering her hair, and she's wearing a surgery gown. Her mom and Austin are standing with her.

"Where are your parents?" I ask Austin as we join them.

"They went to call my brother."

"We could have done that."

"Sophie!" Jackie squeals. "I'm so glad you're here." I give her a kiss on her forehead.

"Where else would we be, J?"

"I have to ask you guys something."

"OK, shoot."

"If something happens to me in there, will you help Austin take care of the kids?"

"Jackie, don't talk like that. Nothing is going to happen to you."

"I know, but you have to promise me anyways." I sigh.

"Promise." She smiles and squeezes my hand.

"Thank you." She reaches out and takes Adam's hand too.

"Adam, I need to ask you a super huge favor. And I will love you forever if you say yes."

"Alright, then yes." She laughs.

"No, I'm serious."

"So am I, J babe."

"I want to name my son Adam. But, I wanted to make sure it was okay with you first." I look over at him and try to read his face, and for the first time ever, am unable to.

"What do you think, babe?" I ask him, softly. Jackie is looking up at him expectantly.

"You can name your son whatever you want, honey. And if you to name him, my name, for whatever reason, it's fine with me." A huge smile spreads across her face and she throws her arms around his neck.

"Thank you, Adz!" he hugs her gently, then the nurses start to push her down the hall.

We follow them as far as the doctor's will allow us to go, then we wish them luck and go back to sit down in the hall with their parents.

I fold my hands in my lap between my crossed legs, and Adam reaches over and wraps one of his hands around them.

Here we go again.

Waiting, waiting, waiting...
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like such a douche for keeping this story running for this long, after I said how many times that I wasn't going to. It will be ending very soon. Probably in two or three more chapters.
Sophie's outfit.
Comments are love.