When Everything Gets Crazy, I Get Lost In You.

Chapter 39.

"Sign here, and here please," the woman behind the counter at the DMV office says to Jack, passing him a piece of paper. He signs it and she stamps it.

"There you go. Your new drivers license will be sent to you."

"Thank you," he says to her quietly, folding the paper and putting it in his wallet.

The day after he first brought it up, Adam and I told Jack that we approved of him changing his last name to Gontier. After lots of paper work, and lots of phone calls and being delayed for a couple weeks, it was finally changed. Now we're just putting the finishing touches on it, and making it official on his drivers license and other legal documents.

He turns and faces Adam and I.

"I guess that's it then." I smile.

"You're officially a Gontier now," Adam says.

"It's gonna be hard to get used to signing this and stuff."

"Woohoo!" I yell, clapping my hands childishly. "Team Gontier!" I hold my hand out for a high-five and they both hit it. A couple of people in the DMV office are staring at us, probably wondering what all the yelling is about.

Adam bends down and picks Jack up in a threshold, his knees wobbling.

"Woohoo! Carry me to the car, bitch!" Jack yells. Adam slowly starts to walk towards the door of the building.

"Faster, faster!"

"I would go faster if you weren't such a fat ass!"

"Ya know, that hurts, Adz."

"You're hurting me!"

"Go bitch!" I look back at the woman who helped us behind the desk and see that she's staring at the two of them with her mouth hanging open.

"Have a great day," I tell her with a smile, walking fast to catch up with the guys.

"Sophie!" Adam yells over his shoulder.

"Mama, help!"

"I'm coming."

"We can't get out," Jack says when I come up behind them. I look past them and see that they've come up to the door to get out of the building, but since neither of them has a free hand, they can't push the door open.

I squeeze past them, getting accidentally kicked in the head by Jack in the process, and push open the door. Holding it open for them.

Adam waddles out the door and takes off across the parking lot in the direction of my Tahoe. I follow behind them, digging through my purse and not paying a lot of attention to them. I've gotten to the point where I just let most of their antics roll right off of me.

When we get to the car Adam sets Jack down on the ground and gets in the passenger side.

"So Jack, now that you're a Gontier, what do you wanna do next?" I ask as we pull out of the DMV and out onto the road.

"I'm going to Disney World!" Adam says airily. Jack and I laugh at him.

"Jack, have you been fucked in the ass lately?" Adam says, barely able to contain his laughter. Jack bursts out laughing.

"If so, you should call this number."

"Adam, you're not a well individual. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this," Jack says from the backseat.

"Do you use butt plugs?" If so..." They both crack up again.

"I think your pass is up," Jack says as I pull into the pharmacy parking lot.

"I have to go inside for a few minutes. Do you two think you can behave yourselves?" I ask them after I park.

"Yes mama," Jack says. I look at Adam.

"Yes mama." I roll my eyes and they both go into fits of laughter.

"I'll be right back." I grab my purse and run inside quickly.

I grab a basket and head down one of the aisles, picking up some bathroom things that I need.

I've been in the store for about five minutes, standing in front of a display of nail polishes when I hear a loud crash. I look up, feeling a sinking feeling in my chest. Right at that moment, I see Jack run around the corner laughing his ass off and looking over his shoulder. I hear another noise, then Adam follows him. They both look up at me then, like they never saw me until then.

"What are you doing in here? I told you to wait in the car," I tell them.

"We got bored," Adam says. Jack picks up one of the nail polishes I was looking at, and looks closely at the bottle.

"Yeah, and then Jack had to make friends with the store display," he says.

"Did not! Fuck you!" Jack yells.

"I don't want to know," I say, peering around the store to make sure no one is hearing their obscenities.

Jack tosses the bottle of nail polish he was looking at into my basket.

"Get this one," he says. I pick it up and look at it, then toss it back into the basket.

"Let's go," I tell them, leading them down another aisle.

"What else do you need?" Jack asks.

"I need some lotion." I can hear them talking quietly behind me, but I don't pay attention to what they're saying.

I stop in front of the lotion and look over the selection. I pick one up and take the cap off of it, and smell it. Then I hold it out for the guys to smell.

"Yuck," Adam says, wrinkling his nose. I laugh and put it back on the shelf. We repeat this until they both find one they agree smells good, then we check out and head back out to the car.

"Have you guys caused enough mayhem for the day?" I ask them as we drive home.

"Mass destruction," Adam says in a loud, dramatic voice.

"Catastrophic..." Jack says in the same voice. Adam laughs at him.

"I couldn't think of another word."

"So apparently that's the answer to my question," I say.

"I'm sorry, babe. We'll be good now," Adam says.

"Sorry mama!" I smile as I pull into the driveway.

"You're forgiven."

Later that night Adam and I are hanging out in the living room. He's playing his acoustic guitar and writing, and I'm painting my fingernails with the new polish that Jack picked out for me at the pharmacy today. I twist the cap back on the bottle and hold my nails out for Adam to see. He glances over at them and nods, then goes back to playing.

I lean back on the couch and blow on my nails to make them dry faster.

"This year has flown by," I say to Adam.

"Mmm." He sighs and sets his guitar down a minute later.

"I can't get inspired tonight."

"I'm sorry. Is there something I can do?"

"I don't think so," he says, shaking his head. He gets up from the couch and turns on a Phil Collins CD.

Jack comes out a minute later and sits on the couch, picking up Adam's guitar and playing it a little.

"Oh, think twice. Cause it's another day for you and me in paradise," he sings.

"Dance with me," I say to Adam. I get up and walk over to him.

"We haven't slow danced since our wedding." He takes my hand in his and I put my other hand on his upper arm. He puts his other hand on my waist and we dance slowly to song, while Jack plays and sings quietly.

I rest my head on Adam's chest and close my eyes while we dance.

"Babe," I say.

"I love you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sophie's outfit.
Last chapter. Sorry it's so short. But I like it a lot.
It's kind of bittersweet ending it, but it's time.
I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have.
Comments are loved.