Status: On hiatus

Therapy

Seven

Slipping out unseen into the backyard of the Sanders family home, Brian took the ever present pack of Marlboro’s from his pocket and lit one, taking a long, much needed drag on it. In the past few days he had gone from a man feeling on top of the world, to a man not even sure as to what was going on anymore. He hadn’t seen or heard from Erin in three days, and the more time that passed by, the less confident Brian felt that they could overcome what their friends had done and prevent it from coming between them. He had truly believed that he would have heard something from her by now, and her silence did nothing to ease his fears that everything was going to be fine.

Brian had considered backing out of the little get together Matt’s parents had organized, but had quickly realized that it would only raise questions, and had forced himself to go. In the couple of hours that he’d been there, Matt, Zacky and Johnny had all approached him in an effort to apologize, only for him to tell them that it was Erin they needed to be making their apologies to.

It didn’t bother Brian that they had meddled enough to want to break him and Michelle up, the end of his marriage was inevitable, it was just something both he and Michelle had attempted to delay. It had even had the desired effect, reuniting him with the person he was meant to be with, as had been their intention all along. What bothered him most about it was how Erin had taken the news and that it could end up destroying the one thing that everyone had wanted all along.

“Everything okay son?”

Brian glanced over his shoulder to see his father stepping outside to join him. With a sigh, he shrugged his shoulders, returning his gaze to the night sky above them.

“You’ve been a little tense all night,” his dad added.

“I’ve just got a few things on my mind,” Brian answered quietly, not knowing whether he actually wanted to go into detail.

His family hadn’t been at all surprised at the breakdown of his marriage, but Brian wasn’t entirely sure how they would greet the news that within days of Michelle walking out, he and Erin had rekindled their relationship.

“Matt told me what’s been going on.”

Brian shook his head with a brief laugh at the words. He should have known that one of them would have said something, and that this was his dad’s way of trying to find out Brian’s side of the story.

“He wants to try and get everything sorted before you guys head off on Tuesday,” his dad went on to explain.

“Well then maybe they need to think about apologizing to Rin and doing a little bit of damage control, make people aware that she knew nothing of what they were up to, before it‘s too late,” Brian stated cooly.

“You seem more concerned over that than the fact that your friends helped destroy what was left of your marriage.”

Looking over to where his father was stood, Brian stared at him for a moment, trying to pick his words carefully before answering.

“You said yourself it was a long time coming with Michelle and I, and as for Rin, she just didn’t deserve to be used that way. She’s a good person, dad, and this…well this could put a little dent in her reputation.”

“ I may be getting old, but I’m far from senile, Junior,” his dad chuckled. “From the moment you were a free man, you’ve worn a smile that made it look as though all your damn Christmases had come at once. It was a smile you used to have on that ugly mug of yours near enough every day when you and Erin were together, and it disappeared the day you two went your separate ways.”

Brian remained silent, digesting over what his dad had just said. Was he really so transparent that it enabled his father to know exactly what was on his mind? Was that the reason why Michelle had always known that he was never truly happy, and that Erin was the only one that could make him feel that way again?

“I don’t know what you’re expecting me to say,” Brian finally replied.

“Son, I’m not here to judge, I know that if it’s what makes you happy, then it has to be right. But something is clearly amiss right now.”

Nodding in acknowledgement, Brian let out a low breath before he began to tell his father just what had gone on. As he was talking, he couldn’t fail to notice the look of disappointment that appeared on his dad’s face.

“You make it sound as though you’re going to let her slip through your fingers again,” the older man pointed out.

“You know what Rin’s like, dad. She says she needs a couple of days, you have to let her be the one to get in touch.”

“I think you may be wrong this time, Brian. You love her yes?”

“More than anything,” Brian answered, finally allowing himself to smile.

“Then fight for this, son. Don’t let her go this time.”

Smile still in place, Brian looked at his dad, and nodded, knowing that he was right. If he wanted to make sure Erin stayed in his life, then he was going to have to be the one to make her see that what they had was just too good to let go because of how others may view it.

“I’ll call you tomorrow, let you know how it goes,” he told his father, heading for the door.

“Don’t worry about that son, you just go make everything alright.”

Making his way through the house to grab his jacket, Brian ignored the glances from the others present. As he went to leave, Matt’s voice stopped him in his tracks.

“Bri, c’mon dude, there’s no need to leave.”

“There is if I want to get my life back on track. I’ll see you fuckers Tuesday,” he replied with a grin, shutting the door firmly behind him.

**********

Placing her purse on the kitchen counter, Erin opened one of the cabinets and took out Manson’s kitty treats, pouring some into a clean bowl for him before placing it on the mat where he ate. She had spent the last few hours in the company of Jude, once again being lectured on her relationship with Brian. It was a habit that Jude had adopted of late, yet Erin knew she couldn’t argue with anything that her friend had to say, no matter how much it may have irked at times to be spoken to like a child.

Erin needed to be the one to make the first move, to let Brian know just what was happening between them before it was too late and he left for tour. She couldn’t do that to him, allow him to leave being none the wiser as to where he stood. Jude had made her see just what she needed to do, and Erin knew that she had to bite the bullet and call him.

Wandering through to the living room, she took the phone from the base in which it sat. She stared at it for a second, and began to dial, only to stop herself before she had even keyed in the entire number. Erin wondered if maybe this was a time when she needed to take the bull by the horns, and just face him now, rather than calling. Replacing the phone, she strode back through to the kitchen with a sense of purpose, taking hold of her purse once more, retrieving her keys from it. Erin knew just where to find him, and the risk she was taking by turning up was one she couldn’t care less about when it came to the consequences of what others may think. Slamming the front door and locking it hastily, Erin got into her car, gunned the engine and was on her way to Huntington without a second thought.

Half an hour later, Erin found herself parked up a little way from the Sanders home. She would have been there a little quicker, but she had driven round the block a couple of times, finding the bravado she had been experiencing earlier quickly disappear as she had neared Huntington. However, Erin knew she couldn’t keep putting off making her move, and eventually stepped out onto the street. She strolled a little way, finally reaching the house. Composing herself, Erin walked up the driveway, smiling at the laughter and chatter that met her ears as she neared the door. She hesitated before knocking, knowing once she did, there was no turning back. Finally, she reached for the knocker and rapped it a couple of times.

“I’ve got it!”

Matt’s voice flowed through from the other side of the door, causing Erin’s heart to beat a little faster. The door swung open, Matt standing stock still as he let it sink in just who was standing in front of him. Stepping forward, he embraced her tentatively. Erin allowed herself to smile as she returned the gesture.

“Zack said you’d think about coming, but I figured you just said that to keep him happy,” he murmured.

“I did,” Erin admitted sheepishly, pulling away from him.

“Well you’re here now,” Matt grinned, stepping aside so she could step inside.

Erin shook her head, not moving from the front step. Matt gave her a look of confusion.

“Rin, I know you’re upset about what we did but…”

“Matt, that’s not why I won’t come in, right now that’s not important.”

Matt nodded, even though Erin’s tone made him suspect the issue wasn’t just going to be brushed under the carpet.

“I need to speak to Brian, and I knew this is where I’d find him.”

Matt rubbed the back of his neck, flashing a sad smile.

“He’s not here sweetheart. He ran out of here about twenty minutes ago, saying something about having to go if he wanted to get his life back on track.”

Disappointment flowed through Erin, leaving her unsure of just Brian could have meant by that.

“He didn’t say where he was going?”

“No, although he was talking to his dad just before that, he may know. I’ll go get him,” Matt offered.

“No, don’t,” Erin stated quickly before Matt had a chance to disappear back inside.

Stepping forward once more, Matt looked down at Erin, his handsome face showing nothing but concern.

“It has to be important if you showed up here to see him Rin, let me help, it’s the least I can fucking do.”

Erin gave a small smile, knowing that he meant well.

“Thanks Matt, but it’s okay, I’ll figure it out, try and find him.”

Reaching up, she kissed his cheek softly before turning and making her way back to the street. Once she was settled in her car, she let out a deep sigh, resting her head on the steering wheel, not even sure what she was supposed to think or do right then. Sitting back up, Erin reached into her purse for her phone. She sat looking at it for a minute, wondering just what she was even going to say to Brian if she called him. There was every chance that what he had said to Matt wasn’t even referring to her, it could have meant anything. With a sense of defeat, Erin threw the phone onto the passenger seat, turned the key in the ignition and headed for home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't believe how long it's been between updates, I'm so sorry. This chapter has been sitting there half-written for way over a month, possibly nearer two, and it's literally only been the last couple of days that I've finally been able to sit down and finish it, which I'm taking as a good sign that the writer's block may be very slowly disappearing.....but don't get your hopes up just yet!

Thank you so much for sticking with me :) xx