Status: Hiatus Until Thanksgiving Break, college sucks :(

Dear Mom, Thanks For Sending Your Human Daughter to a Boarding School of Supernaturals

Masquerade Masacre

So when you see me falling backwards down the wall that says I'm still alive,
Don't be cautious when I'm cautiously approaching on the other side
Everybody has their reasons, that's the reason we're all going to die
Because if seeing is believing, then believe that we have lost our eyes
When I fly solo, I fly so high
Don't touch me now.
We all deserve something

--Manchester Orchestra "I Can Barely Breathe"

--------------------------------------

“So how’s the training with Goddard?” Juniper and I were sitting in the courtyard of Faeries soaking up the sun. It was a faerie thing but it’s also a human thing. The only difference was we can get skin cancer and the faeries can’t. How unfair.

“Nothing special, I’m just learning the basics about a witch’s history.” I said with a bored tone, because in all honesty, the lessons were boring. I wanted to learn how to cast spells, if that’s what witches do. I know that what the media will say is false so there’s got to be something more to it than just saying weird words and willing magic to happen.

I knew it wasn’t going to be what I expected after the day Ben died.

“Awww, no cool spells yet? Not even one to make Vampire walk in the sun?” Juniper grinned.

“What?” That’s something new, I wonder if I could do that. I could imagine a vampire willing to kill for the ability to walk in the sun without going unconscious.

Juniper gave a mischievous smile. “Back in the days when witches were in power, Dianthine said that vampires used to walk in the sun, until the King, Gregorio, betrayed the first witch, Helen, and so she cursed them all to be slaves of the night.”

Hm, so that sounds like a vampire player getting his just desserts by a pissed off witch. How typical. “That’s interesting.”

“Quite.” Victor’s voice rang.

I hate that guy. Meet my best friend’s murderer. Tall, dark, and cocky. He has no conscience whatsoever. He ambled over to our table and sat casually as if he was a welcomed guest. He gave me a slight nod and smiled perversely. “Don’t look at me that way. I have found another one to sign a contract with me. This time, a real human.” He said real as to emphasize what I am no longer. That bastard.

“Is it even okay to mingle with a human like that?” What am I doing? Asking a damn demon where his ethics are. Of course it’s down the shit hole. “Never mind.” I wasn’t going to fool with a demon. Not after what happened last time. I hope that girl knows what she’s getting herself into. Whoever she was.

“Now, now Iris. Don’t be jealous that I have someone else to help me get my status.” He winked. “I still think you’re a delicious human soul that’s made just for me.”

“Up yours.” I spat. “What are you doing here?”

“I invited him.” Dianthine said. “I cannot have you hating my brother forever.”

Brother?! Well not totally surprised. Demons used to be faeries. So I’m guessing little Jessica’s also Dianthine’s sibling.

“See? Dianthine you’re on your way to becoming an Angel now aren’t you? Forgiveness just like the merciful being above.” Victor said in a mocking voice. He stood up taking his leave but before exiting he inclined his head with a sort of mischievous smile. “See you around.”

“Don’t bet on it.”

And then he was gone. Dianthine gave a bell-like chortle and tapped me on the shoulder. “You know, we are holding a party for the fall break soon.” She said, “Why don’t you come? It’ll be a masquerade.”

Ugh how pretentious. Masquerades were a desperate cry for random love. You don’t even know the face behind the mask and you’re willing to just hand yourself up to a complete stranger? Might as well go fishing with a sociopath.

“I um… I don’t think so.” I replied carefully. I’ve never really refused anything Dianthine suggested so I’m not too sure what it takes to piss her off. She is queen. I’m pretty sure she’ll find it rude I refused. Hell I love dances. I’m not the type that shies away, I’m just not too sure how proper I can be wearing a real dress and having to actually dance like the oldies.

“I can teach you to dance. I can teach you proper…”

“Dianthine, no. That’s not who I am, and I can never make myself comply with your fancy lessons.” I started to get up before she could convince me otherwise but her hand shot out to my wrist and held me still. Surprisingly she had a strong ass grip despite her delicate stature.

She looked at me with large eyes. “For me. I need you to be there.”

And for some reason, I knew this wasn’t a simple dance party. Dianthine was burdening something on her back.
--------------
“I never knew a girl like you could be light on your feet.” Richard was laying on my bed when I returned back to my dorm room. He was resting with his eyes closed in the light. I walked over to the windows and pulled the curtains. The light instantly fell away and Richard’s eyes shot open. They were always the cold blue color I’ve seen since I first met him.

“So Dianthine must have said something to convince you to go.” He smiled a bit mischievously.

Yes, yes she did. She sat in front of me and held my arm tightly with eyes almost like a begging and desperate puppy. She wants me to practice my magic and find a certain person for her. She seemed too nervous. Her hands were clammy as if she were struck with a panic attack. “She just wanted me to come. She’s done so much for me so what’s a little payback?” I started browsing through my closet to find something suitable to wear but I have to admit, I’m not as dressy as I thought. I mean I had dresses, but I wasn’t about to show up looking like a street hooker.
“Wow, what,” Richard got up and touched the fabric of my clothes. He almost laughed, “What exactly what were you like back in the U.S.?”

Oh nothing. Just a little pole dancing, out with a bunch of people I met at clubs, hanging out with losers to rip them off. “None of your business.” I smiled while holding out a skimpy little black dress I wore for clubbing back in New York.

Richards eyes were all googly as he reached out to touch the material but I swung it back. “I always knew you were attracted to girls who wear things like this.”

“Is that what you’re wearing to the masquerade?” He asked sounding a bit astounded.

“Nope. I’m going to practice some magic I learned from Goddard and turn this whore outfit into something more elegant.” I placed the dressed on my bed and began digging through my closet for some pumps.

Richard’s eyes widened. “Learned some spells?”

I shrugged. “Just faerie magic. Nothing like the magic the old witches used.” I imagined pulling apart my dress and rearranging and adding what I wanted on it. The magic in this school was plenty enough to pull at and use. That is what faeries do. They pull the magic that surrounds them and use it to do glamour.

“Wow… magic.” The dress was now a full black gown with lace and frills to match the theme of a victorian masquerade party. The top was strap less with black flowers embroidered around the edges all the way down to the hip area. The dress then flowed out in thin lace material. It was sort of sheik but I liked it.

“Well look, how about I escort you to the dance?” Richard said. “I’d love to see you in—“

I had to stop him. Richard was a, god forbid this word, friend, and I don’t need it to get any further than that despite his impeccable ability to come to my rescue all the time.

“Um. I already have a date.” I said quickly.

Richard stared. “Oh. Who?”

“Um… someone Dianthine set me up with.” I lied.
“Huh. Well that’s okay. I’ll see you around then.” He said abruptly before dashing out.

Okay awkward…
-----------
“Good job on the dress.” Goddard said as he came escorting Dianthine who was in the most sparkling white dress I’ve ever seen.

Am I dressed a bit too dark? Around me, there were faeries all dressed in bright white and glowing cerulean. I looked at myself wearing darkness all over me. Oh god, I did.

“Oh no don’t worry.” Dianthine said noticing my panic stricken face. “You look gorgeous.”

“Oh yes she does.” Victor appeared right behind them and beside him was a girl damn well human. She had pitch black hair, large enticing grey eyes and a tall wiry body. Her lips were full and delicate and her nose was straight but conspicuously beautiful.

“I hope she’s glamoured.” Dianthine said distastefully. “Bringing a human child to an event like this? She’ll certainly get devoured.”

“If I were you I’d run for it. He devoured my best friend.” I said with venom.

What I said sounded so unbelievable but it was true and disgustingly macabre. I want to wring Victors neck till his guts squeeze out like toothpaste from the tube.

“I can see that you hate him.” The girl’s face was neutral. “But Victor and I have a deal and there is nothing you can say that will convince me otherwise.”

Victor cocked and eye, apparently impressed but I wasn’t. This girl is stupid. She has no idea what she’s getting herself into.

“I apologize for your friend. It was tragic but he’s gone now and there’s nothing you can do to bring him back. Not even revenge.”

She and Victor held hands. “Isn’t Tamara just… so unique?” He laughed with that stupid smirk on his face.

“Tamara… must have been brainwashed to be walking around with you.” There was anger building up in my tone of voice, but I pressed on despite the growing stares. “You have no right to use a human being like this. Not when you used me, and not when you used Ben. You’re a disgusting pig. Lower than anything else that has taken a breath of this air. You’re low as shit. Dirty, nasty, evil, and you sure as hell can’t give a flying fuck for anything, or anybody but yourself! You will get old, you will have your fun, and in the end, you will soon be gone, for good. You’ll be alone. And no one will want to remember you.” I lifted my dress to rush out. Dianthine tried to stop me but I pushed a bit of force to get away and immersed myself into the dancing crowd.

The ballroom was full of people swirling in their dresses, hiding behind their mask. The string quartet was playing in the background. The faeries and monsters were gracefully moving to and fro around the floor. I pulled on my black mask and waded my way through the mass of swirls.

A hand shot out and gripped my wrist pulling me into the stranger’s arms. He was wearing a very intricate black and red feathered mask that covered his entire face. Only his silver eyes and pale lips were exposed as he led me dancing across the ballroom. His hands were covered with white gloves and he was wearing a dashing black blazor, no shirt underneath. The style was very familiar. He dressed very boldly. I felt something strange in my chest, a dangerous feeling was creeping up.

I’ve never felt so drawn to someone like this before but he handled me very gently. I never danced before but he managed to lead me and show me how to move with just a simple step here and there. His hand that held mine was very cold however. I can assume he was a vampire. The other hand was barely touching my upper waist as if he was just encasing my curve.

When we got to the other side of the ball room he let go. His back turned he started to return to the dance floor but I was too curious to let go of him that easily so I pulled him back. Surprisingly he stumbled backwards clumsily. The sight felt familiar to me. “Richard?”

The guy said nothing as he turned around and placed a finger to his lips, “Shhhhh.” And then he disappeared into the crowd; that’s when I heard a shrill shriek and the music stopped, the people stopped dancing and a large clearing erected in the middle of the dance floor with Tamara in the spotlight hacked to pieces.

Victor crouched beside the body. His hands were shaking. I couldn’t believe the contract he had with the girl was going to be fulfilled in such a public place. It almost made me want to upchuck my dinner.

But instead of see him ravishing his human contract, instead he was desperately trying to put her pieces back together. Blood was now fully coating his pale hands. His eyes were wide with fear and anguish, I’ve never seen Victor so human before.

Dianthine stepped up and extracted a staff from thin air, pounding the dance floor until the whole ball room was covered in deep faerie magic. Her eyes narrowed, and her lips pursed, she was very pissed. “No one is going to leave until the culprit is dead.” Her strong aura filled the room making me shiver to the bone. “How dare a vermin ruin my party, but I guess he was an expected unwelcomed guest…. Iris, come here, its time.”

And as planned I stepped forward. When Dianthine asked me to look for someone at her party, I didn’t think that someone was another cold blood murderer. I thought Victor was the only psycho killer. I also never thought that Tamara would be a victim. Her time was short lived. She’d only been with Victor for a short three weeks after the incident with Ben.

While I stood beside her, she spoke again but this time directly at Victor. “Save what you can but I doubt she’ll be human if you decide to bring her back.”

Bring her back?

“That’s your job Iris, Use your magic to bring her back.”

“Woah, woah, woah… wait a fucking minute. Did you just ask me to bring back the dead?” I didn’t even think about turning my head to see the gross mess. “I… I just started this witch thing. You can’t just order me to bring someone back like I’m some 1000 year old witch.” Ew, a hag.

Dianthine looked at me with all due seriousness. “You already did it before, how’s it so hard now?”

What?

“Wait Dianthine, I’ve never brought back anyone before, there’s got to be some mistake, I never—“

“Ladies and gentlemen of Ligmunvitae, I present to you a new witch in town going by the name of Iris Black who has the power to bring back the dead.” I turned to see that the speaker was the man I danced with. He was reaching for his mask and as he pulled it off, I already knew after seeing the familiar swirl of dark brown hair.

“B-Ben…”

His face was painted black and white like a sinister jester. He had a long jagged cut at his neck where Victor had ravaged him at the time of his death. It was still bleeding. I swallowed hard feeling confused and sick. What's going on? Why is he alive? Why is he put together? Why does he feel so evil?

"Let's all burn the witch." He said with a malicious grin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Iris Black
Image

Ben
Image

Tamara
Image
Image
--------
Sorry for the waaay delayed update. All though the status says Hiatus, it means that whenever I can update, I will. Other than that, I am drowning with tests, homework, and stress :( so sorry if this chapter seemed iffy. I was trying to finish it as fast as possible and still try to make it interesting. Meanwhile I'm adding a new series that's going to be due to release next month. It's a story me and my friend are compiling together :D as for what it's about, that's a secret ;D