Proposal

Proposal

I paced nervously back and forth, my hands shaking badly. Why wasn't she here yet? We'd arranged to meet at five, and it was ten-past already. Biting at yet another nail, I glanced at the clock yet again, before jumping as I heard the front door opening.

"Sorry I'm late!" Kristen called from the hallway. "Colin wanted to go other a couple of things. You haven't been waiting long, have you?"

"Of course not!" I did my best to sound cheerful, biting back my nerves as they threatened to spill.

"God, what a day." Kristen dumped her coat on a nearby chair before sinking into it. "We nearly lost another client; it took all of Colin's charm to keep it. Man, that guy is a genius."

"Well, you're home now," I said gently, moving forward to massage Kristen's neck. "And dinner's almost ready."

Kristen smiled and patted my hand. "You're so good, you know that?"

"Well, I try," I said, smiling back. "Anyway, I've got something to ask you."

"Look, I've tried to cut down my hours," Kristen said, rubbing her eyes, "but we're really busy at-"

"No no, nothing like that honey." I took a deep breath. "Look, we've... we've been together for a while, yeah? About two years now, right?"

"Give or take a month," Kristen replied, lowering her hand from her face and raising an eyebrow.

"Right. So, that's a long time, right? I mean, not many couples last that long. Like... like Greg and Susan, they didn't last two years, and- okay, I'm rambling a little here. Okay, so. My point is that... we've been together for a long while, and - not that it feels like a long time! Time flies by real quick when I'm with you. But you know, two years is quite a while, you have to admit. So anyway, what I wanted to know is... will you marry me?"

Kristen started at me for several moments; eyes wide, eyebrows raised, mouth open. Finally she managed to compose herself. "Are you serious?"

I nodded, fumbling in my pocket. "I-I got a ring," I stammered, pulling a small box and opening it, nearly dropping it on the carpet as I lowered myself onto one knee.

"I... oh Christ! Daniel, I... I don't know what to say."

"Please say yes."

"Look, Dan, I... oh jeez." Kristen let her head drop into her hands. "Listen, I've been meaning to tell you this for about a while now, and I'm sorry I didn't come out with this before, but...."

"But...?"

Kristen let a small sigh, before replying, "I'm... I've been meaning to end it."

"End it? Wh-what do you mean, end it?"

"Look, I like you. You're a good guy, and I think that you're swell. But... if I'm honest, I haven't been the greatest girlfriend."

"What are you talking about? You're a great girlfriend!" My hands started shaking as I felt tears threatening to fill my eyes. "You're wonderful, and- and kind, and so, so-"

"Let me finish," Kristen ordered, holding a hand up, silencing me. "Okay, um... I should have told you this sooner, but... okay. I... haven't exactly been loyal you. I've..." Kristen took another deep breath, "I've been sleeping with Colin."

It took a couple of seconds for this to sink in. "Sl-sleeping with...? Oh I see."

"Don't look at me like that," Kristen pleaded, clasping her hands in front of her. "I didn't really mean for it to start, it just... happened."

"Oh, and I suppose you just conveniently forgot to tell me?"

"How was I supposed to tell you?"

"I don't know! Any way other than... anything but this!" I had gotten up and begun pacing again.

"I was going to tell you last month, but you had booked that holiday to Spain, and I didn't want to ruin it for you."

"Oh yes, because that would have been so much worse than waiting for me to buy a flipping ring and bloody propose!"

"I said I was sorry."

"Oh, and that just makes everything better, doesn't it? It doesn't matter that you've been cheating on me for months, so long as you're sorry about it!"

"Daniel, you're overreacting."

"How the hell do you want to react?"

"Well, less yelling would be nice."

I rubbed my temples, sighing. "Look, Kristen, I think it's best if... if you just leave."

"Can we talk about this tomorrow?"

"If you want, but at the moment, just go."

"Alright." Kristen got up, checking her watching. "I've got to go anyway; I'm meeting Colin at seven."

I sank down in one of the armchairs as she left, biting back tears. A minute later, I smelt the dinner I'd made start to burn.