Status: Hiatus

Lips of an Angel

The Note

Image

Michelle had not had the rest she was hoping for as she tossed and turned all night. First on her back, then from side to side and on her stomach but in the end she found herself back on her back, still unable to sleep. She reasoned with herself that it was the new house, she wasn’t used to the fact that she wasn’t in her childhood room and it only reminded her that her mother and father were getting a divorce and of what her father did. Another reason she was so restless was that she was back in West Chester would have to face the inevitable one time or another – running into Bam. Though she was hoping not to.

By dawn, Michelle had shed her over sized T-shirt, had a shower and got dressed in a pair of jeans, a white tank top with a black jacket to boots to pull the outfit together. She had carefully applied her make-up in subtle tones and left her rich chocolate hair straight and loose. Just as she was about to leave her room to go make herself a cup coffee, her eyes fell on the book Bam had put together. She was sure she had put it away but she guessed she had been mistaken and had left it on her dresser that stood next to the door. Michelle felt her lips twitch ever so slightly when she looked at Bam’s face on the cover and unable to control her reflexes, her hand rested on the book and she ran a light finger over the outline of his face. A sudden burning pit formed in the bottom of her stomach and jerked her hand from the book and left the bedroom, putting all thoughts of Bam out of her mind.

While she waited for the coffee to brew, she leaned on the counter and looked out of the kitchen window. She decided that her mother could do with more than just grass in her garden. Yes, she needed mounds of alyssum, sweet Jasmine, Violas with their sassy little faces, spears of purple irises and cheerful yellow tulips. She would plant impatients or maybe some other bright perennial in some pots by the door to welcome visitors. Michelle smiled to herself and inhaled the aroma of the coffee and then made herself a cup just as the front door opened.

‘’Mmmm. That smells good, make me a cup will you?’’ Andrea said as she closed the door behind herself.

Michelle smiled and pulled another cup from the cupboard. ‘’You are here early,’’ Michelle said, hoping it didn’t sound as nosy as it did to her own ears.

Andra shrugged her shoulders and slid onto a chair at the kitchen island. Michelle watched her sister as she slid the mug of steaming coffee her way. Andrea was digging feverishly through her bag and eventually gave up with a dramatic sigh and then took a sip of her coffee, warming her hands around the mug.

‘’You okay?’’ Michelle asked gently

‘’I’m fine, I was just looking for my make-up but I must have left it in other bag. I’ll get it before I go into work, which reminds me, are you coming to The Note to see if you can find a job?’’ Andrea asked.

‘’I think so,’’ Michelle said studying her sister carefully over the rim of her coffee mug. ‘’Well, I got dressed for it, I might as well go.’’

Andrea gave her a smile but avoided direct eye contact. ‘’I’m sure you will fit right in and enjoy working there.’’

‘’Do you?’’ Michelle quizzed

‘’I do actually. It’s the night life that’s so…so fun, the people are wonderful and I’m more a night person than a morning person, you know that,’’ Andrea responded

Michelle only nodded. She did know Andrea wasn't a morning person and therefore found it amusing that she was up and about so early. The strong, overwhelming feeling of the real reason her sister was at their mothers house so early kept tugging at her heart strings and Michelle had a silent, quick debate with herself as to whether she should bring it up or not. There was no real point of upsetting her sister but she also knew that talking about it would provably help on a larger scale than keeping everything bottled up inside.

Before Michelle could open her mouth, she heard the light footsteps of her mother coming the tiled stairs. What Michelle needed, she decided, was time and objectivity before she took her next step. She suspected she was going to do that a lot now that was back in West Chester.

‘’Ah, my two girls. The loves of my life,’’ Diane said with a smile wide on her lips. Michelle gave her mom a warm smile and decided that her mom was looking vibrant.

‘’How about we go shopping and then have some lunch before you both go off for the rest of the day?’’ Diane asked, beaming at her daughters

‘’I’m up for that,’’ Andra said excitedly and looked at Michelle with wide, child like eyes.

‘’I dunno,’’ Michelle said through a whining voice, teasing them.

Both Andrea and Diane burst out laughing and Andrea jumped off her chair. ‘’I’m going to the bathroom…maybe I can find some make-up in there. It’s good to have you back Michelle,’’ Andrea said, rounding the counter and throwing her arms around Michelle.

While Andrea was hunting down make-up, Diane grabbed Michelle’s arm and pulled her to the double French doors. ‘’Do you like the house?’’ Diane asked cheerfully

‘’I love it mom. The gardens have so much potential and can see many memories being made here,’’ Michelle said and then bit her bottom lip.

Diane smiled at Michelle and put an long thin arm around her. ‘’That’s right hunny. We don’t have to forget the old memories, but we can make new ones as well.’’

Michelle turned her head as tears threatened behind her eyes. She wished silently that she could forget something’s, that some memories would fade away altogether with time but they didn't. Memories of her family happily playing board games together because that seemed like all too much like a lie, Bam and the fun they had and most of all, what she had done to herself and Bam.

‘’Is Andrea okay?’’ Michelle asked trying hard to cover her shaky voice with a positive one.

‘’Andrea doesn't mention the divorce, Michelle, and she pops by constantly as if checking up on me…I thought maybe now that you are here she will relax and convert to her old self again.’’ Diane said and sighed deeply

‘’We worry about you mom but I’m sure everything will be just fine,’’ Michelle said reassuringly but she wasn’t quite sure if she was reassuring herself or her mom.

Diane gave Michelle a light kiss on the cheek and linked her arm through Michelle’s. ‘’It’s my job to worry about you, not the other way around. So tell me, what do think we should put in the garden to brighten it up?’’ she asked

Michelle let out a laugh and bounced her small hip against her mother’s equally small hip. ‘’Now were talking my kinda talk!’’

By the time Michelle had reached The Note, she was exhausted from her day of shopping with her sister and mother. The food they ate was delicious but she was feeling overfull and slightly bloated, not to mention her bank account was minus a few dollars. More than a few actually, and she had no choice but to walk through the doors of The Note and ask for a job. Andrea had gone home to freshen up before her shift started so Michelle opened on of the double doors and walked through, letting the door close behind her.

Surprised by what she saw, a smile crept onto her face. It wasn’t some dingy bar, if fact it looked smart and like a fun place to work. It was, she admitted to herself, smaller than she expected but she had no problem with that. There was a stage to the back of the room, which excited her because music was a love and daily part of her life. She couldn’t do much without music. Andrea hadn’t told her much about The Note, but it was fun to see for herself what was going on.

‘’Can I help?’’ a voice run out from behind the bar

‘’I’m looking for a job,’’ Michelle called out. ‘’I know you aren't open but I thought I would take a chance but I could come by later.’’

‘’Come on over,’’ the voice said and Michelle walked around to where the voice was echoing from. A tall man with a bandanna around his dark blond hair stood looking through some papers. When he looked up, his blue eyes met hers and a friendly smile crossed over his face.

‘’I’m Michelle,’’ Michelle said holding out her hand

‘’Seth,’’ the man said and shook her hand firmly. ‘’So you want a job?’’

Michelle nodded and then ran the hand through her hair. ‘’I have some experience in waiteressing, a bit of bar work…unless you need a flower arranger. I would be perfect at that.’’

Seth let out a laugh. ‘’No flower arranging here but I could squeeze in one more employee. You say you could waitress and work behind the bar, so that’s a good deal. We can talk about you wages and your times tomorrow – I just need to run it by my boss.’’

‘’Oh!’’ Michelle exclaimed and sucked on her bottom lip for a second. ‘’Do I need to meet him, maybe ask him myself? I’m sorry I thought you were the boss.’’

‘’I wish, but no and he has gone away to LA for a few days so I’ll ask him, no problem. We’ve been friends for a while and he is great to work for but never the less you have the job. I’ll see you tomorrow, Michelle,’’ Seth said and dismissed her with a smile.

‘’Tomorrow then, and thank you,’’ Michelle said and left quietly the same way out as she came in.

With a small spring in her step for getting a job, she reached down and began unlocking her car door but before it opened, strong arms grabbed her around her waist and she was lifted off the ground in one sweeping motion. Michelle’s stomach lurched and her heart fell to her feet. She recognized the laugh that came from behind her, she recognized the scent but she couldn’t put a finger on who it was as she was spun around, causing a dizzy spell to engulf her mind and body.

Faces swam through her mind. Old friends she knew from her youth through to the day she left West Chester. So many faces. Yet only one stood out from rest. Bam Margera.