Easy To Hate?

Pt. 12

It was two hours later, Nick had come home, and Tyson had left. I was sitting on Nick's couch, crying while he was messing with his guitar in his room.
Everything that was going on was so messed up. I was in my ex's apartment, crying on his couch because some nutcase wants to kill me.

I was glad to be alone though. I needed it. If Nick would've seen me crying he would've tried to cheer me up. And nothing he could do would help. No matter what he did, I would still have to leave the next day for a year.

I hated feeling stuck. Like I had no other option. And I didn't.

I wiped my eyes quickly with my sleeves when I heard Nick stop playing. I heard his steps as he made his way through the hallway and into the living room.

"Hey. Why are you just sitting here?" he asked, sitting next to me.

"I don't know. I'm just thinking I guess." I told him.

"Despite the reason why you have to come with us, I think you'll have a good time." Nick said.

"I hope so." I said. I began to think of high school. Memories...Good ones...Of me and Nick. I snapped out of it when Nick tried to ask me something.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked.

"I was just asking if you were okay." he repeated. I smiled. He wasn't stupid. He knew something was up. I didn't want him to try to cheer me up though.

"Nick, you're really good at making people feel better, but right now...I just need a friend to talk to. Okay?" I asked.

"Of course." he said quietly.

We sat silently for a moment. Then I finally broke it.

"After our ride here today, I'm kinda curious. Do you have a girlfriend?" I asked. When I said it, it sounded like a reasonable question. But when I thought about it, I felt like a dumbass. What the hell kind of question was that? It was none of my business first of all. But I did what I did, and Nick chuckled because of it.

"No. I haven't been with anyone." he said.

I'm not going to lie, I was very relieved.

"Too busy huh?" I asked.

"To be honest, not really." he said.

"It's because I'm not over you."