Sequel: Lyrissa's Sparkles II

Lyrissa's Sparkles

Chapter Twelve

The next morning was the most awkwardly amusing day of Lyrissa’s life. Apparently after finding out what Andrew had done, Xavier had given him an hour long lecture, and then assigned him to clean the kitchen, living room, and bathrooms for the next two weeks as punishment for what he had done to Lyrissa.

“No! Gambit is not cooking that for dinner tonight, do you have any idea how many dishes that’s going to take?” he protested as she walked nervously into the room. “What ya get kid.” Logan smirked. “Besides Andrew, it isn’t just Gambit cooking dinner tonight. We’re cooking together.” Jean smiled as she grabbed her purse. “I thought it was impossible for you two to cook together! Why are you doing this?!” Andrew whined. “Because sandwiches and pizza aren’t going to punish you for what you did to Lyrissa yesterday. I still can’t believe you did that.” Scott answered firmly.

“What’s going on guys?” Lyrissa asked sheepishly, avoiding eye contact from Logan who wasn’t taking his eyes off her. “They’re torturing me.” Andrew sulked as he wiped down the table. “We makin’ chicken gumbo, wit Jean’s potato salad, an’ rolls for dinner.” Gambit smiled. “And for desert, home made turtle cheesecake, and chocolate muffins.” Jean added. “Wow Andrew… tick these guys off more often, that sounds amazing.” Lyrissa laughed. “We need to buy some ingredients for dinner tonight, do you want to come with us?” Jean asked her. “Sure, lemme grab my shoes, okay?” she shrugged. “Meet us at the car alright? We’re taking Scott’s.” she nodded as Lyrissa walked off.

Scott had stayed home and lent his car to Jean under the condition that she, and only she was allowed to drive. Gambit took the passenger seat, and Lyrissa sat in the back. “So you an Wolverine… good match, no?” Gambit said as they drove; Jean smacked him in the arm for bringing it up. “Sorry Lyrissa. I’ve been trying to convince everyone not to bring it up, but Gambit here can’t keep his Cajun mouth shut.” She sighed. “It’s okay. I figured this would happen. I don’t know if we’d be a good match Gambit, he probably still sees me as that little girl he made cry all those years ago.” Lyrissa replied, referring to the night she had gotten scared and ran into him; the first ‘ice cream and movie night’ Rogue, Jean, and Storm threw. “Gambit know him better, he treat you different now. You don’ see it, but I do.” He shrugged. “What’re you talking about?” Lyrissa asked. “Don’ worry ‘bout it Petit.” He answered after seeing Jean’s warning glare.

“Jean, what’s he talking about? Does he hate me because of Andrew telling him everything?” she asked quickly. “No, it’s quite the opposite actually. He’s kind of had it for you since he saw you all grown up in the sewers… that’s why he’s been looking after you so closely.” She answered cautiously. “Okay…?” Lyrissa replied; she was so oblivious. “Wolverine like you to, dat’s why he get so mad when Andrew tie you up de other day; an’ why he always de one holdin’ you Petit.” Gambit explained. Lyrissa’s heart jumped into her throat. “Something tells me this is good news.” Jean laughed after looking at Lyrissa’s glittering hair in the rearview. “Well yeah!” Lyrissa answered excitedly. Logan had the same feelings for her, as she had for him.

The rest of the trip went the same as the mall trip, without the girl talk; that was replaced by Gambit quizzing Lyrissa on everything Wolverine related. Mostly because he liked to watch her hair and even her nails glitter brighter, because it meant she was happy again. “So what you gonna do? He love you, you love him…” he mused. Lyrissa’s sparkling stopped. “What I say?” he asked quickly when Jean hit him again. “I don’t know what I’m going to do! I can’t even look at him, let alone talk to him!” Lyrissa answered. “Trust me, it’ll be fine. Knowing Logan, if and when he asks you to go out, it won’t be your usual date anyway.” Jean laughed. “Yeah, probably some bar somewhere.” Gambit agreed. “Nineteen, remember guys? I still have two years before I can get through the door.” Lyrissa pointed out. “Den he probably take you somewhere you like.” Gambit shrugged. They dropped the subject after, because Lyrissa was getting more and more nervous over it.

“Hey, you should wear this.” Jean suggested, handing Lyrissa a bright red bandana. “Why?” she asked. “Your hair, is sparkling more than usual because of the whole Logan thing… it doesn’t look like hairspray anymore, it looks mutated right now.” She answered seriously. “It does? Crap, gimme that.” She replied, quickly snatching the bandana from Jean and putting it on. “And the hair that hangs down my back under it?” she asked once she had it secured properly. “The back is fine, the bandana kind of distracts from the glitter a little bit. And the sparkling that does show isn’t as noticeable under the bandana as it was without.” She answered.

Back at the mansion Andrew was on his hands and knees trying to scrub the bathroom floor. Logan was leaned up against the doorframe making sure he did the job right. “Do you need something?” Andrew finally asked; he was getting tired of various X-Men breathing down his neck all day. “Just makin’ sure ya do yer job.” Logan answered.

“Yeah? You think I can’t handle a little dirt and soap scum? Please, I used to live in a sewer. Try keeping that clean. Oh that’s right, you wouldn’t. You’d have someone else do it… jerk wad.”

“Listen little man, I do my fair share around here. It’s you who need to learn yer place.” Logan snarled. He was now inches from Andrew’s face, holding him by the shirt; Andrew’s toes were barely touching the ground.

“Learn my place? You’re the one going after Sparkles. She ain’t one of you anymore, se left the X-men remember? She’s with us now.” Andrew wasn’t going to back down from the fight.

“Who’re you to act like ya care about her? You tied her up, and left her taped to a wall pal. Just for that I should bust ya up.”

“I dare ya, Wolverine. Bring it on.”

Logan was stopped by Storm before his claws hit Andrew’s face. “Think of Lyrissa Logan, would she want the two of you fighting this way?” she asked as she squeezed in-between the two. “I will make sure he does his job Logan, the Professor wants you in the Danger Room now anyway.” She said sternly.

“You are lucky. If I had been a few seconds later, you would have been badly injured.” She sighed as Andrew went back to scrubbing floors. “You guys are over-punishing for this. You know that right? I mean, I only blew the secret of a little crush she has. She had a crush on me for a while too, look what happened. We aren’t even mildly attracted to each other anymore.” He said, ignoring her comment. “Andrew, you did more than that. And for girls, and women, even a little crush is a big deal. You should think about the things you say, before you say them.” She answered. “She wasn’t even really crying. A little embarrassed maybe. Blushing, oh yeah. But she’s not in love with him, like Cyclops and that red head right?” he huffed. “It is too early to say. And even if it was not, it would not be my place to answer that question.” She replied.

Gambit, Jean, and Lyrissa were checking out at the grocery store when Lyrissa noticed someone she knew running towards them. “Jen! Oh man Jen you gotta get outta here. We were all on the news. You, me, and even your two friends here.” He said quietly; even the cashier couldn’t hear him. “Why do we have to get outta here Jack?” Lyrissa asked seriously. “Someone spotted you guys and called the cops, they think you’re mutants. Jen, they’re rounding everyone up from the race they catch and throwing them in prisons. I hear stories that they’re doin’ experiments on them, and torturing them just for fun… just go if the cops follow you, I can take them on.” He answered as Jean finished paying for the food.

“How, unless you have the whole Jax Shak crew, you’re hosed Jackie.”

“Dude, I’m a mutant. Don’t freak out.”

“You…?”

“Yeah. I can control mechanics and technology. I’ll just kill the engines and stuff like that. Why do you think I don’t race anymore?”

Suddenly sirens started getting closer.

“We should be goin’ now Petit.” Gambit pushed as the four made their way towards the door. Lyrissa stopped and stood next to Jack. “Stop them! They’re mutants from the rally on the news!” a woman shouted. “Move your ass Jen!” Jack shouted as people started to make a scene. Gambit pulled Lyrissa by the arm to the car as Jack used his “Cop Ditching” skills as he called them to hide from people while keeping the way clear for them.

“Jackie, you better not get yourself hurt.” Lyrissa mumbled as Jean quickly drove back to the mansion. “He be fine.” Gambit assured. “I hope you’re right Gambit.” She sighed. “He is, I told Jack to follow us, he’s riding a stolen bike a few cars behind us.” Jean answered; she wasn’t too happy about Jack stealing a bike to escape, but it was better than staying behind to get arrested. “He staying at the mansion wit us?” Gambit asked. “For now.” She answered simply; checking her rearview to make sure Jack was still following. “Knowing him, he’ll be gone as soon as things calm down. Jack don’t stay in one place for long.” Lyrissa commented.

When they got back to the mansion, Andrew was in the kitchen arguing with Scott over butter knives. “You used three to make one sandwich, the only reason you’d do that is to screw with me! Why shouldn’t I be mad at you, four-eyes?” he spat. “Very mature. And no I didn’t do it to mess with you. It really gets on Jean’s nerves when someone gets jelly in the peanut butter, and vice-versa, so I used two knives to make my sandwich. The only reason I ended up using three is because I dropped one.” Scott retorted.

“And the mud in the bathroom?”

“Dante and Max were playing out back, in the mud, remember?”

“Yeah, and how about Wolverine’s freaking attitude all day today?”

“Two reasons for that one. Wolverine is Wolverine, and that’s kind of his personality. Second, you hurt Lyrissa. It ticked him off.”

“Place looks nice Andrew.” Jean commented, making their presence known before she, Lyrissa, and Gambit went about putting away the groceries. “Need any help?” Jack asked. “No thanks Jackie.” Lyrissa smiled cheerfully. “Who’s this?” Scott asked curiously. “Jack. No last name, just Jack. Or Jackie if your name’s Karma.” Jack answered.

“Hey Lyrissa, welcome back.” Logan smiled as he walked to the fridge. “Karma, who’s Lyrissa?” Jack asked. “I am. My name’s actually Lyrissa, Marie, Anette, Jennings. I go by Lyrissa, or ‘Rissa here.” She answered. “SPAWKLES!” Allie shrieked as she ran into the kitchen; tripping over the princess dress she was wearing. “Or Sparkles…” she sighed as she picked up the over excited for year old.

“Wow you’re dressed up. What’s the occasion My Lady?” she smiled to Allie. “Tea pawty, and dwess up with Wogan!” she answered happily. “Which Logan?” Jean smirked; she was expecting it to be the tiger. “This one.” The humanoid Logan answered. “You play dress up Wolverine? Dis be de end of de world!” Gambit laughed in disbelief.

That was when Lyrissa noticed he was carrying a feather boa, and wearing a beaded necklace and bracelets with one matching ring. She couldn’t help but to smile at him, he looked so cute all dressed up in Allie’s play clothes. “Skyclops wouldn’t pway with me. So I askeded Wogan and he said no too, but then he said yes!” Allie explained. “Why? You never played dress up with me Logan.” Lyrissa pouted; she had forgotten how nervous she was to be around him after Andrew’s little stunt. “The girls were all busy.” He shrugged. This was really not like him, to play dress up and wear girly stuff. Lyrissa was very impressed, considering when she asked him to sing jingle bells one Christmas, he flat out refused and left the room to smoke a cigar.

“Hey Jen, so where’d ‘Karma’ come from?” Jack asked suddenly, snapping her back to reality. “It’s my mom’s name. Karma Elizabeth Jennings. I used her name to race.” She answered. “Why? Lyrissa Marie Anette Jennings would’ve been just fine.” He shrugged. “Don’t know.” She answered quietly. “Where is your mom anyway? She live here with all you guys?” he asked. Jean took a quiet gasp, and Gambit sighed. Scott put his head down, and Logan just watched sadly as Lyrissa lost her sparkle again. “You made her sad!” Allie scorned, reaching over and slapping him on the arm from Lyrissa’s arms. “I’m… sorry?” he replied, completely confused. “It’s okay Allie, and Jack. My… my mom was killed when I was very young. I don’t even remember what she looked like.” She answered softly. She handed Allie off to Gambit and left the room.

“Way ta go bub.” Logan grunted as he walked out after her. “I’m sorry… I didn’t know.” Jack said quietly to everyone else in the room. “It’s all right. We understand.” Scott sighed.

“She’s so different here.” Jack commented. “How so?” jean asked as she bounced Allie playfully. “Well, when she races she’s really not like this at all. There aren’t much emotions there, she just comes, races, usually gets into a fight or two, and leaves. She’s a real trash talker there too, usually throwing the first punch. She can really throw a punch by the way.” He explained. “We know.” Scott chuckled. “So tell me about Lyrissa. Since she’s a totally different person than the Karma I know.” Jack asked.

“She’s different all right. But in a good way.” Jean smiled. “She’s really caring, even if she won’t show it. Loves to work on her bike in the garage, and play pranks on people, great with the kids. She’s just really special ya know?” Scott added. “She like to play around a lot, smart girl too. She like Gambit’s sister.” Gambit smiled. “And what about you?” he asked Allie. “Spawkles is my big sis. She said so. I wuv her lots!” she answered energetically.

Meanwhile Lyrissa was sitting on the floor of the garage fiddling with something on her bike. Nearly breaking into tears when she couldn’t get a bolt to come lose. “Here, lemme get that.” Logan offered as he went to take the wrench from her hand. “I got it.” She jumped. “All right then. I ain’t leavin’ though.” He stated firmly. “Fine.” She replied sharply as she kept trying to work on her bike. She was crying, but he was ignoring it. He knew she didn’t want to be messed with right now.

“I don’t get it Logan.” She said finally, after five minutes of silence and tears.

“Get what?”

“I didn’t even know her. I don’t know what she looked like, sounded like, acted like… I don’t know anything about her. Hell, I don’t even know where she’s buried!” her voice broke when she said the last word.

He remained silent and waited for her to continue.

“And when Jack asked me where she was, and if she lived here… it hurt. To have to actually say it, and know I don’t know where she is…” she trailed off and started to cry more.

“C’mere.” He sighed as he put his arm around her. She accepted the embrace gratefully and crawled closer to him. “We should go somewhere, get yer mind off all this.” He suggested as she calmed herself down. “Go where?” she asked.

“Dunno, where’d ya wanna go?”

“Away.”

“Away’s a pretty wide range.”

“Away from people. People who ask questions, people who tie you up, people who make announcements, people who are always watching you to make sure you aren’t too upset, people who try and talk to you when you are…” she kept ranting until she felt him laugh as she leaned on his chest.

“Ya know, I know a place about a day’s drive from here. Out in the woods, with a nice view of the lake. No one else around to bother ya.” He suggested.

She sighed thoughtfully, but then remembered everything Andrew had told him before. As much as she would love to go on a road trip with him, he wouldn’t want to go anywhere alone with her; it’d be too awkward.

“So ya wanna go or not?” he asked.

“I don’t wanna bother you.”

“If I didn’t want ya to go, I wouldn’t have offered. I’m goin’ either way, Prof. wants me to get away from Andrew before I kill the little punk.”

“Little? Andrew’s quite a bit bigger than I am.” She laughed.

“And yer tiny, kid.”

“Am not.” She whined as she pulled away from him and went back to her bike.

“Are to.”

“Are not.”

“Ya are to.”

“I am not.”

“Yeah, ya are.”

“No, I’m not. Shut up.”

“Don’t tell me ta shut up.”

“Shut up.” She stood up and put her hands on her hips, waiting for him to rise to the challenge.

“I don’t take orders like that from no one. Especially not a sparkly little girl.” She couldn’t tell if he was actually getting angry, or not. She backed up and nearly tripped over her toolbox when he stood up. “Ya alright?” he smirked, grabbing her arm to help her steady herself. She just laughed it off, and blushed a very faint pink.

“Ew, gross! Max was right Sparkles, coming here did drive you nuts!” Jamie jeered from the doorway behind Logan. Lyrissa peeked around him and looked Jamie dead in the eyes. “Do I look like I’ve gone nuts Jamie?” she asked seriously. “Let’s see… You’re hanging all over this guy, you wore a pink princess dress with sparkles, you’ve been crying a lot… you lost a race… what do you think?” he replied. “Jamie, I lost that race because I got into some off road trouble. I wore that dress because Andrew stole my clothes, and I have my reasons for crying.” She retorted. “And you’re still holding onto his arm…” he sang, “AND BLUSHING! Oh my god, I’m leaving. I’m gonna get Miss Jean, or Professor-X or somebody to fix you. You never blush! Even when you had to run through the sewers in your underwear you didn’t blush.” He ranted as he flew off with his signature orange blur.

“Running through the sewer, in your underwear?” Logan asked with a smirk. “Yeah… I did.” She laughed as she finally let go of him and started walking towards the door. “Why?” he asked; he really wanted to know why anyone would run through the New York sewer system in their underwear. “Prank war.” She answered simply. “I’ll tell you later, it’s a long story.” She added before he could pry any further.

“So ya comin with me to that lake or not?” he asked as they walked. “Sure.” She shrugged. “We’ll be sleepin’ in tents. Can ya handle that?” he asked. “I’m sure I can.” She laughed.

“Don’t you DARE Dante. I will kill you!” Andrew screamed from somewhere ahead of them. “Miss Storm!! Andrew’s being mean!” Dante whined loudly. “Andrew,” she warned from another room. “Oh come on!” Andrew shouted angrily. “Andrew.” She warned again with a little more authority.

“Wonder what’s goin’ on now?” Logan thought aloud as they continued walking towards the argument. “Knowing Dante, he’s making a mess just so he can watch Andrew clean it up.” Lyrissa answered with a laugh. “Nope, Dante has a water gun.” Jubilee laughed as they passed her walking the other way. Lyrissa sighed heavily and walked faster to get to Dante; who was now spraying water at Andrew, and missing on purpose.

“Seriously man, knock it off. I’ve been cleaning all day, and dealing with people who are really ticked off at me. I don’t need this, you wouldn’t be doing this if we were still in the sewer!” Andrew protested. “You wouldn’t be mad at Sparkles for crusin’ on that guy with the claws if we were still in the sewer either, but ya are.” Dante retorted and sprayed Andrew’s leg with the water gun. “I am not.” Andrew argued. “Allie says you are, and she doesn’t lie about that stuff. She says you like her, and don’t like her liking someone else. So you got all mad and embarrassed her for it. Now you’re mad because you heard Miss Jean talkin’ to Scotty about how he likes her too.” Dante explained.

Lyrissa couldn’t keep herself from stopping the argument any further. “Dante, knock it off, Andrew, you too. Stop arguing like little kids okay? It’s giving me a headache, and getting water everywhere.” She ordered. “Uhm Sparkles? I am a little kid.” Dante grinned. She just sighed as he ran off to bother someone else with his new toy.

“Andrew,” she started but was interrupted by him holding up his hand to tell her to be quiet. “Look, I don’t have a crush on you anymore. It was a one-time thing. You’re sweet and all, but not my type, okay? Allie’s got her feelings mixed up. She’s four remember?” he explained. “Yeah, I know.” She answered. “So what’s yer problem then?” Logan asked. “None of your business.” he retorted and got back to moping up Dante’s mess.

“I am going to go lay down. I’ll see ya later Logan.” She sighed and walked off, holding her head. “Yeah. We’re leavin this weekend, so have yer stuff ready.” He answered as she walked off.
♠ ♠ ♠
What did you think?