Sequel: Lyrissa's Sparkles II

Lyrissa's Sparkles

Chapter Twenty-One

Andrew was hiding in the bushes outside the garage waiting for Lyrissa to walk by, and had been for over twenty minutes. It was a week until Halloween, and the jokes and tricks had been insane all month. The mansion was three times more decorated for the holiday than ever before, since Halloween was the favorite holliday of the underground kids. Black, green, purple, and orange decorated the whole building, they had carved a total of thirty-seven jack-o-lanterns, cobwebs a ghouls decorated nearly every room, spiders and bats were hiden here and there, gargoyals guarded every door, it was a real paradise for anyone who loved Halloween.

Andrew saw her coming back from ‘Halloween shopping’ with Logan, and they were going to walk right past him; Lyrissa was closest. He grinned and pulled on his Halloween mask, and jumped out yelling as soon as he thought she was close enough. “JESUS!” she gasped, and punched him in the face. “Ouch! No… I’m Andrew… worship me if you like though, I don’t mind.” He grinned, taking off the mask and holding his nose. “I’m so sorry Andrew! I didn’t mean to hit you, it was reflex!” she replied quickly. She was fully recovered from Jack’s beating, and had her old sparkle back as a constent for the first time since the labs. “Ya should know better than that, kid.” Logan smirked, putting his claws away and walking through the garage and into the house.

“So what’d ya buy?” Andrew asked as he and Lyrissa walked together.

“Huh?”

“You two went shopping didn’t you? Or was that a cover…?”

“Shut up. We did go shopping, and he nearly punched some guy out so we left the mall. I didn’t find anything I liked.”

“I know he isn’t a people person… but why’d he do that?”

“He grabbed my butt while we were in line at the food court.”

“He what? Why didn’t you hit him?”

“Was too busy keeping Logan from breaking his face. I wasn’t happy about it, but I didn’t feel like getting thrown out of the mall today.” She laughed.

“Crazy… well you missed some exciting things today.”

“Really? What happened?”

“Allie and Kiera are mad at Beast, Max wants nothing to do with Rogue, Jazz and Box aren’t talking to Gambit, I think Professor Xavier’s gonna have a nervous break down any minute, and Storm had to rescue Jamie from a tree. Oh yeah, and Allie’s healing factor? Yeah it only works sometimes.” He answered.

“Why is everyone so mad at each other, and how do you know about it only working sometimes? What happened, is she okay?”

“She is now… don’t mention her nose though. She broke it.”

“She broke her nose?! How?”

“Funny story… ya see Jazz and me were kinda joking making bets that we could stair surf all the way down the main staircase in the front, and neither of us could stay standing. I got six stairs from the bottom though! Anyway… Allie tried it and made it all the way down, but then faceplanted hard.”

“Why’d you let her try it?!”

“Because we weren’t watching! She just did it on her own, I walked in right as she hit the bottom stairs, then the floor!” he defended.

“Andrew…”

“I know.”

“So what’s with everyone being so mad?”

“We’ve been scaring each other all month, you know that. Well we’ve also been pranking all day, and Beast accidently scared Kiera and Allie, and they think he was in on our pranks. So they’re mad at him for it. Max’s mad at rogue for something, you’ll have to ask her why. And the reason Jazz and Box aren’t talking to Gambit, is because he did get in on our prank, and it turns out they both squeak when they get scared.”

Lyrissa laughed in reply before they went their sepperate ways.

She rounded a corner to find Max getting ready to shoot something at Rogue with a slingshot while she was flying some decorations to a ledge close to the ceiling. “Don’t you dare!” she warned sharply. He jumped and dropped the slingshot. “Hi Sparkles! Have fun shopping? What’d ya get?” he asked quickly, trying to avoid the lecture she was about to give.

“Nothing. What were you doing?”

“You were gone all day! How could you not buy anything?”

“Max,”

“She thinks she’s in charge of us.” He spat, clearly wanting to challenge Rogue and make her back off.

“Max, have you seen that woman fight? In the Danegr Room, I’ve seen her pick Logan, and Hank up, and throw them. She’s about a thousand time stronger than I am, and even if she wasn’t, she’d knock you silly.”

“Nuh uh, I’ve seen you fight, you knocked Mr. Summers flat on his back, and you flipped Wolverine in Allie’s food fight!”

“She’s flipped me through a wall before Max. But if you wanna fight her, I don’t think Uncle Charlie’ll mind you two going in the Danger Room.”

“Really…? She sent you through a wall before?”

“Twice in the same fight. Remember the number one rule Andrew had before we came here? Know your fights? Think about that before you hit someone in the behind with rocks. Especially when that someone’s a grown woman named Rogue.” She laughed as Rogue landed next to them.

“Yeah, but Andrew can’t fight, so how can he make rules?”

“He can fight, he’s just not good at it. What’s up Rogue?” she smiled, changing the subject. “Nothin’ much sugar, just hangin’ some chain rattlin’ ghosts around.” She smiled. “Awesome.” She grinned as Max left the room, grumbling to himself.

“I’m gonna make Uncle Charlie let everyone watch the next Danger Room session, and I’m gonna have him make it a good one.” Lyrissa sighed. “Why’s that?” Rogue asked curiously. “So they can see you all fight for real, and maybe knock off the attitude. Coming here kind of destroyed our entire way of life ya know? I mean back there, we had a code, and a system. We knew what our places, our jobs, and we all worked hard to survive. Here we don’t have to survive at all, we can just live… we really don’t know what to do with that, ya know? Its not because we don’t appriceate it, or enjoy it, it’s just… it’s a culture shock I guess. Only one that doesn’t just throw them into another environment and life, with a bunch of strangers, but it also throws a whole new code and system at them. And Scotty expects them to follow them!” she explained emotionally.

“It ain’t fair. Maybe he’ll lighten up a bit when he gets used to havin’ ‘em around.” Rogue sighed after a while.

“Rogue, it’s been months.” She laughed.

“Been months since what?” Scott asked as he joined them in the front room. “Since we got here. We’re just talking about how hard it is to go from one life, to another. You know, sewer rats, to living in a mansion with superheroes?” Lyrissa answered. “We’re not ‘superheroes’ Lyrissa.” He smiled. “Scotty, you wear tights, have superpowers, and save the world, and protect people from evil… face it bro, you’re a superhero.” She said flatly, folding her arms and raising her eyebrow waiting for his response. He said nothing.

“Hey Sparkles! Your boyfriend’s lookin’ for ya!” Jazz grinned as she passed them on her way to the kitchen. “And he has roses.” Kiera added as she followed. “Ya should get goin’ then. Ya shouldn’t keep a man with roses waitin’.” Rogue winked. Lyrissa blushed and left in search of Logan. “I still can’t get over them being together Rogue.” She heard Scott say as she left.

She found Logan leaning up against her door, holding a string of dark blue silk roses, decorated like the night sky. She stared at him awestruck for a moment. “Thought they might help with yer nightmares.” He grinned as she opened her door. He walked in and hung them over the head of her bed. “Where’d you find those?” she asked, admiring how close they were to the Midnight Roses in her dream. “Had ‘em made at some craft store.” He shrugged. “Why? I mean I love them, its just I haven’t said anything about that dream since you and Hank found the drawing and poem… and you can’t even see the roses in the drawing.” She asked, sitting with him on the bed.

“I had a dream last night, and saw ‘em. Saw the whole rose garden actually. Was there a fountain, that looked like some chick dancin’ with water in yours?” he asked.

“Yeah, there was.” She laughed.

“And the paths were kind of an orange pink rock right?”

Lyrissa’s jaw dropped, she didn’t mention what color the paths were, or what they were made of. “How did you know?” she whispered. “Told ya, I had the same dream. There was a man who looked just like me in it too, took me to the roses. We were dressed alike, the only difference was his hair, it was kind of long, and dark red.” He answered.

Lyrissa sighed heavily. “What’s wrong?” he asked. “Nothing, it’s just that you get to know exactly what your person looked like, and I can’t remember a thing about mine.” She answered, resting her head in his lap as he leaned against her headboard.

“Hey Logan, what did your dude say about the roses?” she asked suddenly.

“He said that the Mirror Rose, was one of two, not one of a kind. Told me about the Midnight Roses, Blood Roses, and some Shadow Lilly.”

“Blood Roses, and Shadow Lillies? Those weren’t in my dream.”

“He said the Blood Roses and Shadow Lillies were very dangerous, but also very good. Blood Roses can heal any wound, but are poison if ya ain’t careful. Shadow Lillies let ya see the dead, and visit their world, but ya can get stuck there and end up one of ‘em.” He answered.

“Wow… my flowers were walking on water, and breathing under it, and getting rid of nightmares.” She laughed. “Yeah.” He smirked. “Do you think we should tell Uncle Charlie about these dreams?” she asked. “Nah, just dreams. C’mon, I’ve been gettin’ jokes and commmentes since we got back, us sittin’ alone in yer room with yer door shut ain’t gonna help it.” He sighed. “Good point.” She giggled, but she didn’t get up.

“Well, ya gonna move or what?” he asked. “Yeah… I will.” She sighed, and slowly rolled off of him. He stood up and turned to face her while she stood on her knees on the bed. “Thanks for the roses.” She smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck. “Yer welcome.” He grinned as their heads rested together. He backed up and pulled her off the bed.

“Smells like they’re makin’ popcorn… with carmal and shugary butter…?” he commented weirdly, sniffing the air. “POPCORN BALLS!” she sqealed, and let go of him, letting her feet touch the ground the rest of the way before teleporting them both to the kitchen.

“Hey Lyrissa, wanna help?” Jean smiled, the kitchen was a wreck, and there was popcorn bits, candy corn, chocolate chips, marshmallows, and many other candies all over. “Heck yes, you know I love this part of the holidays with you guys!” she laughed, darting to the sink and washing her hands. “What about you Logan, you wanna help?” Jazz asked as she molded some popcorn, marsmallow goo, chocolate chips, and candy corn into a ball. “Not really my thing, kid.” He smiled, leaning up against the wall and watching Lyrissa’s inner child take over.

Her hair was sparkling wildly as she molded a lopsided, lumpy oval. “Well that’s not right.” She giggled. “Did you really do this every year, Sparkles?” Kiera asked, starting another ball. “Yep, and if you think this is great, just wait until Christmas… that is a decked out holliday. Jean and Gambit argued every year over the Christmas feast. It’s awesome.” She laughed, still trying to fix her deformed popcorn oval. “Dude… you fail.” Jazz smirked, showing off her perfect sphear. “Shut up Jazz, I’m just out of practice, that’s all.” She retorted. “And I’ve never done this before, so I shouldn’t be able to out do you, even if you used to make these every year, and haven’t in four.” She playfully spat back.

“Jean, you’re cheating.” Lyrissa sang as she watched her use her powers to make six balls at once. “There aren’t any rules to making popcorn balls.” Jean grinned, making six more. “Man, all I can do is blow them up.” Kiera whined.

Lyrissa gasped, and her hair went dull for a moment as some of her wisps came out suddenly.“Lyrissa?” Logan asked worriedly. She didn’t reply, as she used them to create a perfect ball, better than what you would buy in a store. Her wisps disappated, and she cought her ball and admired it, her hair gleaming even more. “Awesome!” She squeaked excitedly. “Ya had me worried for a minute there.” He chuckled. “Us too.” Jazz and Kiera agreed. “I just wanted to see if they could make popcorn balls as well as they get books, slam doors, slap Andrew, and fix cars.” She shrugged.

“Hey wait a minute.” Jazz said quickly, surrounding a pile of popcorn ball supplies in a purple shield, and then tightening it into a ball. “Hah! It worked… man, being a mutant is so cool!” she beamed. “Unless you can just blow stuff to bits.” Kiera pouted, smashing hers into a ball and setting it aside with the others. “Awe come on Kiera, I’m sure with more practice you’ll grow to love your abilities.” Jean smiled. “Uh-huh.” She replied sarcastically.

Hours later they had four mounds of popcorn balls made. “Do you think that will be enough for all of us?” Storm asked jokingly as she admired their work. “I dunno, I think we’ll starve.” Andrew smirked. “Yeah? Look who’s talkin’, you and the guys got over thirty pounds a Halloween candy.” Rogue commented as she passed by. “That is true.” He shrugged and left the kitchen to find something to do.

He found it in the Library, which had been turned to a Haunted Mansion type thing, which went well with the rest of the mansion. He was passing the doorway when he heard Lyrissa giggle. He snuck through the library, and found her sitting alone in a corner, reading a brightly colored book, titled “One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish”. It took everything he had not to laugh at her for reading Dr. Seuse.

He telekinetically lifted some books, and threw them at the wall behind her; which made her jump, but not scream. “Who did that?” she asked sharply, but he didn’t answer. “It was either Andrew or Jean, and I’ve never seen Jean throw books at someone without a good reason.” She stated firmly, standing up and putting her book back on the shelf. He stayed silent. She slowly rounded the corner of the book shelf he was standing behind; that’s when he made his move. He grabbed her and yelled her name as loudly as he could. She screamed and teleported.

Logan rushed in, claws extended, demanding to know what happened, which scared Andrew and made him scream since it was dark in the library. Andrew screaming brought Hank and Jubilee to investigate.

“I scared her and she teleported! I don’t know where she went!” Andrew yelped as he tripped over a pile of books. “So where’d she go?” Jubilee asked. “I dunno! I swear Mr. Wolverine, I didn’t mean to scare her that bad, she even knew I was in here!” he answered, he was sure Logan was gonna kill him when he first came in.

Suddenly multiple shrieks of laughter sounded from downstairs, and Lyrissa screamed Andrew’s name in a blood thirsty, blood curdling, icy pitch. “Better go see what she wants.” Logan smirked. “Oh my…” Hank gasped at her tone, it was clear she wasn’t playing around. The laughter died at her shout as well.

Andrew quickly rushed to the front room and froze. Lyrissa was dripping wet, her clothes plastered to her body from the water, she had plants and algey hanging from her shoulders and hair, she had mud on her face and clothes… she looked like the Mud Monster. “Heh, h-heya Sparkles.” He grinned awkwardly, keeping his distance. “What is wrong with you!?” she demanded harshly, trying to close the distance, but every time she took a step towards him, he took a step back. “Ohh, he’s gonna get it.” Rogue smirked from her spot on the couch. “She probably won’t even hit him.” Box sighed.

“AGRH! Give up on the wispy things?!” Andrew yellled suddenly. Holding his nose for the second time that day. Logan and Scott, for the first time probably in their history, shared the same smirk. “I told you to quit doing that! Do you know where I ended up? First I ended up in the pond out back! The cold water shocked me, and reminded me of falling off the cliff… guess what! I TELEPORTED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE CLIFFS!” she scolded. “I’m sorry Lyrissa… I didn’t mean to drown you, just scare ya.” He laughed. “Don’t scare me again tonight, or you’ll be spending Halloween dressed as a mummy, in a full body cast.” She threatened before storming out of the room to get dryed off.

Much later that night, after everyone had calmed down, and Lyrissa had somehow resolved the issues between the kids, and members of the X-Men, she was lying under her bed, keeping the space around her as dark as she could. The only way she could avoid being afraid of the dark, was to make it darker so she was in control; and that only worked some of the time. Eventually, she fell asleep.

~Dream~

Lyrissa was sitting on a stone and marble bench, watching the fountain in the garden. She was happy to be back in the garden, and gladly took in the sweet scent of the thousands of flowers around her. “You’re back.” A woman’s voice said from behind her. Lyrissa quickly stood up, welceoming the warm stone path’s feel beneath her feet, and the feel of her long dress brushing her ankles as she turned to face the young woman.

“Who are you?” she asked, though not in a hostile way. “Names aren’t important.” The woman answered, it was the same woman as she had seen the first time she dreamt of the garden, she recognized her at once.

“You named the roses, didn’t you?” Lyrissa was having trouble understanding.

“I did, yes. I suppose I should’ve answered differently. My name is not important. Have you seen the lake?”

“No, the only part of the garden I’ve seen is here, and the roses.”

“Oh, the roses are simple flowers compaired to the lake!” the woman smiled, grabbing Lyrissa’s hand and pulling her along with her.

The lake was at least three times as brilliant as the rose garden. The water was a shimmering teal, with purple, blue, pink, green, orange, red, and yellow swirls in it. The fish jumping from it were every color of the rainbow, and every design imagionable. It smelled like fresh rain, and as she got closer she could feel the cool water licking at her toes. Around the lake flowers grew wildly. Black lillies, deep maroon flowers with pointed petals and heart shaped leaves, neon green flowers, with equally bright orange stems that only grew to be an inch tall, yellow roses that grew twisted around each other, and so many more.

“You see?” the woman mused. “What is this place? The garden I mean.” Lyrissa sked.

“Just that, The Garden. Some would call it Eden, others Paradise, some simply the Garden. It is called whatever you wish to call it.”

“Beautiful…”

“Then welcome to Beautiful.” The woman smiled as they walked.She stopped and gestured to the pointed flower, with heart leaves. “These flowers are called Eliza’s Tears. It’s said that when the first seeds bloomed, they were watered by the tears of a woman so heartbroken by the loss of her love, they bloomed a dark red, in the color of his bloodstained shirt she carried with her, and the leaves took on the shape of a heart, to represent the undying love she held for him.” She explained, “They smell like salt and blood, and when their roots are brewed into tea, it can break even the strongest hearts. Often leading to one taking theeir own life.”

“That’s… terrible. But why are they called ‘Eliza’s’ tears?”

“Because, long ago, when the flowers were discovered, a young woman was found in a pool of blood,clutching a dagger in one hand, and a bloodstained shirt in the other, in the center of an entire field of Eliza’s tears. They say she wore a gold locket that had ‘Eliza’ engraved into it.”

“Wow.” Lyrissa whispered.

“And these here, are a funny flower. They counter Eliza’s Tears in every way, yet they only seem to grow from the roots of Eliza’s Tears.” The woman smiled, bending down to touch some of the small neon green blooms.

“What are they called?” Lyrissa asked curiously.

“Lit’ieall, Shinalas.” The woman answered fondly, “It means bright green flowers.” She laughed.

Lyrissa laughed with her. “What do they do?” she asked with a smile.

“They can mend any broken heart, and warm even the coldest of souls. It’s said that children can’t gaze upon them without being filled with joy, to the point of laughter, and when crushed, they give off a vapor that cures any illness. The only downside is that it turns whoever inhales it’s skin a lovely shade of pink.” She explained, “The pink is worth it to the dying though, and it does smell wonderful.” She added with a laugh.

“Don’t touch those!” she snaped suddenly, preventing Lyrissa from touching one of the black lillies. “Why?” she asked. “Those are Death Lillies.The name explains their purpose. There is a poison on it’s petals and leaves that will kill any living thing that touches it within a night. Entire towns have been destroyed by them. Ironically, they’re the funeral flower of choice for most, because they look so much like the Shadow Lillies.”she explained. Lyrissa quickly withdrew her hand.

“I’ve heard about Shadow Lillies. They let you see the dead right?”

“How did you know this?” the woman gasped, shocked that Lyrissa knew anything about the garden that she hadn’t told her.

“Logan told me.”

“Logan… I do not know this name.” The woman thought aloud.

Suddenly two men came walking to the lake. Lyrissa’s heart skipped a beat when she saw the one following in second. There, staring at her in awe, was Logan. Wearing a white linen tunic and leggings combo, with light blue ribbon accents. “Lyrissa…?” he gasped. “Logan!” she replied, running to him and returning his embrace.

“Sage, what are you two doing here?” the woman demanded, speaking to the man who was dressed exactly like Logan, but with sparkling dark red hair, that came down to his shoulders. “I did not know you were here.” He answered, without taking his eyes off of Lyrissa and Logan.

“Get him out of here, now.”

“Do you not see them? How could you expect me to separate them?”

“Sage, now.” Her once peaceefull, loving echo of a voice turned cold and sharp.

Sage sighed and cast a wall between Lyrissa and Logan, forcing them apart. The wall surrounded Lyrissa, trapping her. She screamed for Logan to help her as the new room got darker, and darker, but there was no answer.All she could hear was Sage demanding to know if the woman was happy, having them trapped apart, unable to see each other again.

~Awake~

Lyrissa’s eyes shot open as she yelled Logan’s name. The dream was so real, she had to make sure he was still there. She pulled on her black housecoat with bright purple checkers to cover her short green shorts and tight yellow and black striped half-tank and raced down the hall to Logan’s room.

She crashed into him half way there. “Logan!” She whispered, her voice full of joy and relief; throwing her arms around him and kissing his cheek. “Let me guess, ya were trapped in a small room, after some guy named Sage put ya there, and ya couldn’t get out?” he asked as he returned her greeting, with a little more passion. “Mmhmm.” She was muffled by his lips. “And the last thing ya heard before wakin up was him sayin we’d never see each other again?” he asked. “Mmhmm.” She answered, kissing him this time.

“Still think it’s nothing Logan? We just had the same dream, at the same time… what if it means something?” she whispered, leaning agianst him as he leaned against the wall. “Probably. Allie’s a five year old telepath, remember? She could be doin’ this without realizing it.” He answered. “I guess.” She sighed, leaning closer to him and breathing in his scent. “Why were you out here anyway?” she whispered. “Had the same dream. When I woke up I wanted to make sure ya were okay.” He answered, his voice booming in the ear she had pressed to his chest.

“I don’t think I’m going back to bed.” She sighed after a while of standing in silence.

“Ya wanna hit the game room fer some pool?”

“Sure.” She shrugged, and followed him to the game room.

They played pool for hours, since they had woken up at midnight sharp. He was surprised at how good she was, since she had beaten him at least twelve times; he still had her by six. “Hang on, I can’t make this shot with the robe.” She sighed, taking off the housecoat, and tossing it onto the table behind her. He raised his brow and watched her carefully as she half sat on the table, and leaning over as far as she could before sinking the shot and winning the game.

“Thirteen. Same we’re not betting on this.” She sighed thoughtfully, hopping down from the pool table, and sitting on the one that held her robe. “Why? I’m still winnin’.” He smirked. “Shut up.” She yawned, stretching her arms above her head, and revealing even more of her stomach. She slowly laid back onto the table and started counting the tiles on the ceiling.

“Uncle Charlie couldn’t pick an easy pattern could he?” she sighed, losing count again and again.

“Huh?”

“The ceiling, it’s impossble to count the tiles.”

“Why would ya?”

“I dunno, I’ve always counted ceiling and floor tiles. Lights in a room, I count things a lot.” She laughed.

“Oddball.” He said under his breath, playing a solo game of pool. By the time his game was done, Lyrissa was fully asleep, stretched out over the table. He couldn’t help but to smirk at her pajamas. Being male, he wasn’t one to critisize fassion, and being him, he was even less likely to care, but her neon green shorts, and bumble bee top, added to her bright purple and black checkered robe was really an amuseing mix. He sat in a chair close to her and watched her sleep for a while before falling asleep himself, resting his head on his crossed arms.

“Hey you two, long night?” Jean asked sympathetically to wake them up, seeing them both passed out in the game room. “Hmmm?” Lyrissa groaned, rolling slightly and nearly falling off the table. “Ya could say that.” Logan grunted as he stood up and stretched. “Don’t forget we’re going costume shopping today. Everyone’s getting ready, you should get moving.” Jean smiled. “All right Jean… I’m on it.” Lyrissa almost whined as she pulled her robe over her shoulders and drug her feet up to the shower leaving it untied.

“Dang Sparkles, that outfit’s so loud you could make a blind man cover his ears!” Andrew snickered as she passed him. She waved a hand to dismiss his comment and blew him off as she locked the bathroom door and started the show
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think?