Sequel: Lyrissa's Sparkles II

Lyrissa's Sparkles

Chapter Twenty-two

He had no idea how, but Logan had somehow ended up going with Lyrissa, Jubilee, Andrew, all of the kids, Scott, and Jean to shop for costumes. Origionally they had gone to the mall, but found nothing, so they were at a Halloween warehouse instead.

“Lyrissa, what’s wrong?” Scott asked, since she was standing in a corner alone, staring at a costume with a look of awe, mixed with horror. “Get Logan.” She mumbled.

“Lyrissa, seriously, what’s wrong? Did something happen?” he was instantly worried.

“Scotty, just get Logan.”

He sighed and went off to grab Logan, who was helping Max reach a Jason costume to try on. “Logan, something’s wrong with Lyrissa. She wanted me to get you, I don’t know what’s going on, but she’s freaking out over something.” He said quietly, keeping Max from hearing. “Where is she?” he asked quickly, also speaking quietly, picking up on Scott’s hint that the kids shouldn’t know. Scott pointed to Lyrissa, and Logan took off.

“What’s up?” he asked, putting his arm around her shoulders, and freezing when he saw the costume she was holding. It was long white dress, with green ribbon and white lace accents, and corset laces in the back, and a green garland hair tie. “Coincidence.” He stated. “Look above it.” She whispered. When he did, he saw a white tunic and leggings men’s costume, with blue ribbon accents. He said nothing, he simply took the costume from her and hung it back on the wall.

“We need to tell Uncle Charlie.” She whispered, shivering slightly as she looked at the costumes. “Like I said, it’s coincidence. Us havin’ the same dream’s probably just Allie like I said; maybe she saw these somewhere and that’s where they came from.” He answered, tightening his grip on her. He really did hate seeing her afraid in any way. “I still wanna tell him…” she sighed, leaning her head back against his shoulder. “Alright, if it’ll make ya feel better we’ll tell him.” He smiled, gently rubbing his thums against her.

“Spawkles look! Jeanie and me awe pwincesses!” Allie squeaked, pulling a giggling Jean over to them. “Jean, you’re buying that right?” Lyrissa laughed. Jean and Allie were both wearing Disney princess costumes; Allie was dressed as Cinderella, and Jean got Belle. “I’m not sure yet.” She answered.

“Ohh look at that one!” Allie gasped, pointing at a punk rock style fairty, with ripped wings and skeletal accessories. “Is that the one ya want?” Logan asked. They had been in the warehouse for four hours, and Andrew, Box, Kiera, and Jubilee were the only ones with their costumes picked out, and he was more than ready to get the day overwith. “Yeah!!” she shouted, taking it from Lyrissa and running to try it on.

“Trust me, she’s done. If it fits that’ll be her costume.” Lyrissa smirked. “Have you picked yours yet?” Jean asked as the three of them made their way back to the dressing rooms so she could take off the Belle costume. “Not yet. I want something really good, ya know?” she answered.

“Jazz just picked her costume.” Scott laughed as Jean changed out of the dress and into her own clothes. “Really? What’s she going as?” Lyrissa asked. “A Techno Zombie.” He answered. “That’s new.” Logan smirked.

Without warning something hit Lyrissa in the back of the head. “What?” she shouted, knowing by the smirk he was wearing that Andrew had been the one to throw the costume that now lay at her feet. “Put it on, and don’t argue.” He ordered. She sighed, knowing that if she refused, he would’ve picked her up and tossed her into the changing room, and kept her in there until she put on the costume. “Fine.” She shot before grabbing the bag of dress up clothes, and closing the curtain.

A few minutes later she walked out, with the bag in hand and threw it at Andrew. “Thanks, I have my costume idea. Not that, but it gave me an idea.” She smiled, and started her mission of finding the perfect costume.

Another three hours later, they were at the check out. Not only had everyone, including Scott and Logan thanks to Allie, picked their costumes, they also bought a lot of new decorations for the mansion, since everyone wanted it to be more gruesome, and dead. Allie suggested the Mad Scientist’s Lab scheem for the infirmary, complete with dead bodies, and body parts; it was a shock to everyone that she could be so demented. In short, by the time they were done the mansion would be the best haunted house ever decorated.

“So what’d you get Lyrissa?” Logan asked as they drove home, since she hadn’t let anyone see her costume. “You’ll see in about a week.” She winked. “Awe come on Sparkles, why’s it gotta be a secret?” Jamie whined. “Because I’m mean that way.” She smirked. “Wait… is it one of those costumes?” Andrew asked, raising his brow at ‘those’.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about Andrew, one of what costumes?”

“You know, the costumes where really only you, and him see? The ones that you don’t wear for a long time?” he asked, trying to keep Jamie from knowing what he was talking about, but failing; Jamie and Jubilee were both grinning ear to ear. “No Andrew! It isn’t one of ‘those’ costumes!” she yelled, blushing at the grin Logan had given her.

Half an hour later they were safely at the mansion, and Lyrissa was in Xavier’s study telling him everything about her dreams. “And when did you say you had the first one?” he asked, watching her carefully.

“When I made that drawing and poem that Hank framed. The one Jubilee and Jazz demanded be moved to the front room.”

“Did Logan share this dream with you as well?”

“No, I don’t think so. He had the dream by himself before having those roses above my bed made for me. Then we had it again last night. Which is why we woke up in the Game Room, I couldn’t sleep so we played pool until I passed out.”

“I see. If this happens again, please tell me. I will speak with Allie and Jean and see if they know anything about this garden, and see if Logan’s theroy may be true.”

“Thanks Uncle Charlie. It’s never been scary until the very end last night though. Until then it was amazing, I’d have moved there and stayed forever if I could.”

“You are quite welcome Lyrissa.” He smiled, and led them out of the room.

Jubilee and Jazz were passing Andrew’s room when something exploded, and he came running out caughing and reaking. “Oh man, what is that smell?” Jubilee nearly gagged. “Stink bombs gone wrong.” He answered from behind the sweater he had over his mouth. “Why Andrew? Why would you be making stink bombs in your room?!” Jazz demanded from behind her sleeve. “So I can use them later.” He shrugged. “You do that outside not in your room. Remember last time? We had to move everyone to another hideout because of you!” she scorned. “What the heck happened? It smells like somethin’ died down here.” They heard Rogue ask from down the hall. “Answer the lady Andrew. I’m going outside for some fresh air.” Jazz growled before she and Jubilee left for the nearest exit.

Not even ten minutes later, everyone was standing around in the back yard, having a meeting. “Okay, we’re going to need some cleaning supplies. Storm did what she could with the winds, but the smell is in the carpets, curtains, bedding, and pretty much everything else.” Scott announced. “I ain’t goin’ shopping again today. I already went, I ain’t doin’ it again.” Logan stated firmly. “I’ll go.” Andrew volunteered. “Oh no, you’re staying here and cleanin’ with what we have. This is your stench, ya ain’t getting’ off the hook that easy sugar.” Rogue repled. “I’ll go!” Allie piped in. “I’ll go too, this isn’t the first time Andrew’s screwed up the bombs. I can probably find the crap we need to fix this. At least a little bit anyway.” Lyrissa added. “He has done this before?” Storm asked. “Three times.” The kids answered togetehr. “You would think he would’ve learned his lesson by now.” Hank commented, making Andrew shoot daggers.

The group that was lucky enough to buy cleaning supplies was Rogue, Storm, Lyrissa, and Allie. Everyone else kept cleaning with everything available in the mansion. “Masks, we need masks.” Lyrissa said as they walked through the store with a cartfull of cleaners. “Why?” Allie asked curiously, holding Storm’s hand as they walked. “Fumes, and stink.” She answered, grabbing three boxes of masks and throwing them into the cart. “How ‘bout these?” Allie asked, pointing to a large box of air fresheners. “Great idea, grab a bunch.” Rogue answered, helping Allie grab a total of four boxes and add it to their cart.

They had finished up shopping for cleaning supplies, and were looking at other potentially useful things that could help get rid of the smell when Allie stopped walking suddenly. “What is wrong Allie?” Storm asked. Allie’s eyes were as wide as they could be, as she watched a dark haired woman and her two year old son. “Allie, sweetie what’s wrong?” Rogue asked, kneeling down by her.

Allie pulled away from Rogue and ran over to the woman. “Mommy!” she called out, getting the woman’s attention. She froze and dropped the box of cerial she was holding. “Allice Joanna?” she gasped, covering her mouth and tearing up. “Mommy?” Lyrissa whispered, physically feeling her hair dull under her hat. “Mommy, it’s me!” Allie grinned. “I… I’m not your mother. I-I’m sorry.” The woman stuttered, pushing her son away from the now devistated five year old girl. “But…” was all Allie could say without breaking down.

“Al, come here.” Lyrissa said quietly, kneeling down and putting her arm around her. Allie pushed away and went after her mother. “Allie wait!” Storm pleaded, but there was no stopping her, and they all knew she was only going to get hurt.

“I am not your mother! This is my child, I have a son! I don’t have a daughter anymore!” the woman yelled harshly, breaking Allie’s heart with every word. “Why don’t you love my anymore?” she whispered. “I couldn’t live with something like you!” she hissed, not wanting anyone to know she was speaking with a mutant, and part of her not wanting anyone to go after Allie; a very small part. She then took her son out of the cart and left the store.

“Al…” Lyrissa whispered, unable to imagine how much that had just hurt. “C’mon sugar, let’s buy this stuff and get outta here.” Rogue sighed, putting a gloved hand on Allie’s shoulder. Lyrissa walked up and lifted Allie into her arms and carried her through the check out, and into the car. She chose to sit in the back with her, and held her until they got back to the mansion.

“You take care of her, we’ll get to cleanin’. If ya need anythin’…” Rogue said sadly as she and Storm unpacked the car, and Lyrissa took Allie. “Thanks Rogue. We’ll be out back.” She smiled weakly, and led Allie to one of her favorite places. The bench overlooking the cliffs.

“Allie, she just doesn’t understand. People can be mean when they’re afraid, and they get scared when they don’t understand something. Mutants are different, so people are scared of us.” She explained as they sat on the bench.

“She said my name… she almost hugged me. Why didn’t she? Why does she hate me?”

“Because some people are scared of what other people will think if they hung out with mutants. She doesn’t hate you, she was crying when she left Allie. She loves you just like any mommy would.”

Allie tried to hold back her tears, but couldn’t and started sobing. It was a deep, soulful, letting everything out kind of cry. The same kind Lyrissa had cried after her father’s funeral. She cried for a while, every once in a while asking why her mommy couldn’t love her, or why she was a mutant. Eventually she was able to calm down, but she was still heartbroken.

“Rogue and Storm told me about Allie’s mother. Is she all right?” Xavier asked Lyrissa telepathically. “No Uncle Charlie, she’s not. I can’t believe how horrible people can be… she’s five, she was thrown out her front door by her dad, and mom didn’t do anything to help, then when she finally finds her mom again, she screams at her that she doesn’t have a daughter, and leaves! How could she do that?” she answered as Allie snuggled her side, gripping her shirt.

“I do not know, there are parts of the human mind even I cannot understand Lyrissa.”

“What do I do Uncle Charlie? I don’t know how to help her now, she stopped crying, but she’s not the same Allie…”

“Don’t worry, you were not the same Lyrissa for a very long time after the labs, remember?”

“She’s five, she shouldn’t feel like I felt. I seriously wanted to die, I even tried to get Logan to kill me. More than once.”

“I know you’re afraid Lyrissa, but we will help her through, the same way we helped you.”

Lyrissa was quiet for a long time.

“Would you like me to send Logan out there? I am sure he would help you.” He asked.

“No, I’m fine. Just let me know if I can go back in the house or not tonight.”

“Many, if not all of us,will be camping out tonight. You may sleep in the mansion if you like, however most of us cannot tolerate the smell for so long.” He answered. “Great, thanks Uncle Charlie.” She thought with a sigh.

That night the back yard was turned into a campground. Jean had taken Allie to the tents to give Lyrissa a break, and Logan joined her on the bench. “She’s gonna be okay.” He soothed, gently stroaking her dull, sparkleless hair as she laid in his lap, watching the stars above the cliffs. She wanted so badly to jump over the edge, and feel the icy water washing over her. She wasn’t only thinking of Allie, she was thinking of everything that left her over the years. Her mother was taken from her, her father had left her in the crash, Dee was taken, the kids in the labs, now she was at risk of losing Allie, and it seemed like every time she closed her eyes she saw Sage and that woman taking Logan away from her.

“Say somethin’.” He demanded as he continued playing with her hair. “Can I sleep in your tent tonight?” she asked sheepishly.

“Why?”

“I don’t want to be alone.” She answered honestly, even though admiting it made her feel as weak as ever.

“Sure. C’mon, ya need sleep.” He answered as he lifted her off of him and stood up; pulling her to her feet. She fell asleep nearly as soon as she laid down.
♠ ♠ ♠
What'cha think?