Sequel: Lyrissa's Sparkles II

Lyrissa's Sparkles

Chapter Twenty-Eight

It had been two days since Lyrissa and Logan got back to the mansion, and Allie still hadn’t let go of Lyrissa. Jamie had taken to following Logan around everywhere, and wouldn’t even let him in the Danger Room, unless he was in the control room watching. He was trying not to show it, but Jamie was really getting on Logan’s nerves, and Lyrissa was just getting exhausted from taking care of Allie, and carrying her everywhere she went. She couldn’t even go into the bathroom without her outside the door either crying, or demanding to talk to her. She either slept in Allie’s room, or Allie slept in her room, and she and Logan hadn’t had five seconds alone since their return.

“Hank, is she asleep?” Lyrissa asked as they sat in the library reading. “Yes.” He whispered. “Oh thank god… do you think you could take her for a bit? My arms are killing me.” She asked. “Of course I will.” He smiled, gently taking her, being extra careful not to wake her. “Thanks Hank. I owe you for this.” She sighed. “No, you don’t. You deserve a break.” he replied and went back to his paperwork as she left the room.

“Hey, where’s Allie?” Scott asked after she met up with him in the hall. “Hank has her, she fell asleep.” She answered, rubbing her arms. “Well, at least you’re getting a good workout.” He shrugged.

“Shut up, you try carrying a clingy five year old for three days, non stop. Scotty, I can’t even take a shower without having her outside the door talking to me.”

“I know. It’s actually kind of sad… maybe the Professor can help her.”

“Only if she would actually work with him, which she won’t, because she refuses to do anything that even remotely involves me not holding her.”

“Well, trick or treating won’t be easy then.”

“Ya think? I don’t know how I’m gonna chase Jamie, keep Kiera and Max together, keep a hold of Dante, watch Jazz and Box, and carry Allie all night.”

“Andrew is going to help out at least.”

“Yeah, thankfully.” She laughed.

“Hey darlin’ where’s the kid?” Logan asked as they joined him, Jean, Jubilee, and the Professor in the kitchen. “Fell asleep. Hank’s watching her in the library right now.” She answered, sitting next to him and leaning her head on his shoulder. “Where’s Jamie?” she asked him. “Went to play tag with Andrew. Should be back any second though, the kid ain’t let me alone in days.” He sighed. “They just love you, that’s all.” Jean smiled. “I know.” Lyrissa sighed.

“Lyrissa, Allie is awake.” Xavier smiled. She groaned and slid out of Logan’s grasp. “Still in the library?” she asked with an almost whine. “She is.” He answered, and with that she was gone, leaving behind only a few faint black wisps.

She appeared in the library to find Allie sobbing and begging Hank for Lyrissa. “Right here Al.” She sighed, taking her from him. “I’m sorry Lyrissa, I tried.” He smiled weakly. “No problem Hank, my arms recovered a little bit. Thanks for watching her.” She replied in forced optimism. The truth was, she wanted to cry too. She was tired, and stressed out, and getting closer and closer to her breaking point. “It was no trouble at all.” He nodded before she teleported back to the kitchen.

“Well look who it is!” Jean smiled, referring to Allie. “H-hi Miss Jeanie.” She sniffled, clinging to Lyrissa’s shirt. “She didn’t sleep long.” Scott commented. “No, and Jamie didn’t play long either.” Lyrissa agreed, nodding to the redheaded kid sitting next to Logan. Everyone noticed her forced smile, and lack of sparkle, but chose to keep quiet about it; they knew it wasn’t the best idea to try and talk about feelings at the time.

“So…” Jamie said awkwardly. “So?” Scott asked. “So what now?” he answered quizzically. “I don’t know. Everyone’s pretty wiped out right now, either sleeping or working on the game room.” Jean answered. “What’s wrong with the game room?” Lyrissa asked curiously. “Nothing, they just wanted to rearrange some things.” She shrugged. “Sounds fun.” Logan commented.

“Hey Logan, you should teach me to fight like you.” Jamie commented randomly. “I should?” he asked, raising his brow. “Yeah, then when you go out on missions and stuff, I can help!” Jamie explained. “I don’t think you’ll be going on any missions any time soon.” Scott smiled. Jamie frowned and leaned back in his chair. “Maybe I’ll show ya a few tricks, if yer good.” Logan smirked, half because he had grown attached to Jamie, and half because he knew it would annoy Scott to teach him to fight. “Really? Cool!” he cheered excitedly.

Jubilee practically skipped into the kitchen and grabbed a drink. “The game room’s ready.” She winked, and left again. “What was that about?” Lyrissa asked. “Don’t know. Let’s go find out.” Scott shrugged and left the kitchen, following after Lyrissa. “Jean, what’s up?” she demanded, carrying Allie as the group walked. “I don’t have a clue.” She shrugged. “Liar.” She pushed. “I’m not saying a word then.” She smiled, and remained silent until they got to the game room.

The lights were all turned off, and the room was dark; Lyrissa was instantly suspicious. “SURPRISE!” everyone shouted at once, turning on the lights. Kids were blowing noisemakers, throwing streamers, spraying silly string, screaming and cheering, and making a whole lot of noise. Lyrissa was of course startled, and teleported. “Where’d she go?” Andrew asked with a laugh. “Dunno.” Kiera and Max answered together.

“I hate teleporting!” they heard her scream from somewhere outside, before she appeared back in the room. “Where’d ya go?” Rogue asked. “The roof. Almost dropped Allie off the edge! Why? Because I can’t flippin’ control my powers anymore!” she ranted before cooling off. “Okay, so now we know: Surprise parties scare Lyrissa, and make her jump from tall buildings.” Jazz teased. “Shut up.” Lyrissa sighed.

“Is that what you were arguing over the other day?” she asked, pointing to a large banner that read “Welcome home Logan and Lyrissa!” with a rainbow weaving through the background, and over and behind the letters. “Yeah, it took us three tries to get the rainbow right.” Jubilee laughed. “It’s really good, who drew it?” Logan asked, referring to the rainbow. “Jazz. She’s wicked good ain’t she?” Box beamed. “Its not that great.” She blushed. “Yeah it is.” Lyrissa and Logan replied together.

“Okay, well let’s open presents! Professor Xavier?” Andrew shouted. “I think it’s a good time for that, yes.” He agreed. “Okay, well Sparkles’ is one way, and Wolverine’s is the other… so which first?” he asked. “Get hers first.” Logan smiled. “Okay, to the garage!” Andrew cheered excitedly.

The whole group walked to the garage doors, and blindfolded Lyrissa. “Okay, now what you are about to see, will rock your socks clean off. Are you ready?” Jazz said seriously. “Yes.” She laughed. “Mr. Gambit, can you get the door?” she grinned. “Sure thing Petit.” He nodded, and opened the door so Scott could lead Lyrissa into the garage. “Right, now your Uncle Charlie is totally responsible for this. This is basically his gift, we all just signed the card.” Box explained. “Okay.” She smiled.

As soon as Scott took off her blindfold, her hair started sparkling to the point it could probably have put off it’s own light. “Do you like it?” Kiera asked eagerly. “Like it? It’s a freaking ’75 Shovelhead! I love it!” she exclaimed, walking around the bike and examining it. “No way, half original parts, and stock paint? Where the hell did you find this Uncle Charlie?” she gasped. “Ohio.” He answered. “Seriously?” she laughed. “Yes, really.” He smiled. “But, Andrew and Scott picked it out, and Kiera, Jubilee, Rogue, Gambit and Max helped get the extra parts that need replaced, Jean, Storm, and Hank did the majority of the work to keep this a secret, and the everyone helped with the party. It wasn’t all my doing.” He explained. “Well, thanks everyone! This is the best; I can’t wait to get to work on it. Does it run?” she asked happily. “No.” Everyone answered together, before bursting into laughter. “Even better, I can’t wait to get started!” she cheered. “So what’d you get Logan?” she asked playfully. “Come on!” Kiera squealed, pulling Logan by the hand.

His gift was up in his room, which was still filled with their memorial gifts, but now useable. “Tada! Your set was kind of falling apart, I noticed it when I put the rose garland over it. What d’you think?” Kiera asked. “Love it kid. Was it your idea?” he answered. “Not entirely.” She smiled. “Yes, it was too her idea.” Scott laughed. “All we did was find it, buy it, bring it up here, and set it up.” Andrew explained. “Well, it’s exactly what I needed. Thanks.” He smiled, returning Kiera’s hug. Truth was, he was going to replace it before they went to help at the police station, and hadn’t gotten the chance since their return.

“Okay, now that gifts have been given, let’s eat Welcome Home Cake!!!” Box shouted, followed by cheers of agreement from every kid in the room. “All right, let us go.” Storm laughed.

“Oh my god.” Lyrissa laughed when she bit into the ice cream cake they had made. “What?” Jubilee asked quickly. “Double chocolate, with cherries, chocolate sauce, and extra whipped cream.” She laughed. “Your favorite, according to the Professor.” Hank smiled. “Heck yes, always has been.” She grinned, revealing her chocolate covered teeth. “Attractive.” Andrew smirked. She responded by putting chocolate sauce on the end of his nose. “Don’t start.” Xavier warned. “Sorry.” They giggled together.

The party went on for a long time; of course they played Jump The Line, which ended with Gambit in third place of the entire group, Jazz second, and Beast in first. They also had Pin the Tail On the Donkey, which went painfully for Scott, who was stabbed in the upper thigh by Allie. Kiera won that game. They ended the night with Musical Chairs, which was played six times in a row. Kiera told Xavier he couldn’t play, since he always had a chair and that was cheating, so he worked the music. He enjoyed that, because that meant he could watch everyone scrambling for the chairs. Lyrissa got sat on twice, Allie used her powers to make Andrew give her his, Logan lost in the first round on purpose, which made Allie use her powers and make him play for real; he ended up sitting on Scott, which made the group laugh hard enough that some cried, some fell of chairs, and no one could breathe.

Late that night, Lyrissa was sitting on the couch holding Allie, still, and watching static on the TV. “What you watchin’?” Gambit asked, expecting the static to change to an actual program. “Nothing. If I move she’ll wake up. The movie ended half an hour ago.” She answered quietly. “She gotta get better soon. Dis ain’t good for her, or you.” He sighed.

“I know, but we can’t do anything about it.”

“De Professor can.”

“No he can’t. Not until she’s ready to improve. That’s what he said; we went over all that.”

“Well maybe you jus’ gotta put her down, no?”

“No I can’t do that. She cries, and cries, and cries when I’m not right there. I can’t stand the sound of her crying, so this is all I can do.”

“Maybe Gambit get you some earplugs.” He smiled.

“Hah, maybe.”

“Why don’ I help you get her to bed, an’ den you get some sleep, eh?”

“Nah, I don’t wanna risk waking her.”

“Den I be right back.” He shrugged, and left the living room, returning a few moments later with a pillow and blanket for the couch. “Dis make it easier to sleep out here.” He smiled. “Thanks Gambit.” She replied warmly as he helped her get situated enough to fall asleep. “I see you tomorrow Petit. An’ you too.” He whispered to her and the sleeping Allie before leaving the room. “Night.” She whispered, and fell asleep.

She wasn’t asleep long before nightmares started to kick in. She was fighting Sabertooth in the police station. All around her were screams, and people yelling orders as the other X-Men evacuated the officers. She could see Mystique run to detonate the bombs, and then flee the scene. Suddenly the bombs went off, and all around her was fire and smoke. She couldn’t find Logan to grab him and teleport, so she stayed in the inferno, screaming for him so she could get them both out. She woke up before she could grab him.

“Spawkles? Why are you scawed?” Allie asked quickly, she had woken her up while flinching and whimpering in her sleep. “Bad dreams babe, that’s all.” She sighed, looking up at the ceiling to prevent herself from crying. “I’ll make it better.” She announced, putting her hands on Lyrissa’s head. “No, don’t. It’s okay sweetie I’ll be fine. Just go back to sleep okay?” she protested. “Fine… but no more bad dweams.” Allie furrowed, lying back down on top of her and snuggling down.

Between Allie’s own nightmares waking her up, Allie waking her up from being scared of the ones that didn’t, and her own nightmares, Lyrissa got very, very little sleep that night, and was a mess the next day because of it; although she was able to hide it from most of the kids, and X-Men.

“Sugar, you ain’t been sparklin’ the last few days. You okay?” Rogue asked over breakfast. “Yeah, just tired is all.” Lyrissa yawned, pushing her hash browns around her plate. Allie was sitting in her lap; half asleep since she hadn’t gotten much sleep either. “Logan’s lucky Jamie’s not clingy like Allie.” Dante laughed, nudging his redheaded friend. Logan didn’t know how to reply, and kept his mouth shut. The rest of breakfast was filled with pointless chatter, and a few jokes. Surprisingly, no food was thrown. A first since the kids had moved in.

A few hours later, Lyrissa was free of Allie since Xavier had demanded to work with her separation anxiety with Lyrissa. She could hear Allie crying from down the hall as she left her room, and took refuge in the garage, where she was now working on her new bike.

She was too tired to do anything, and left it. On her way out she tripped over her toolbox, and spilled the tools everywhere, and had to clean it up. Normally it wouldn’t have affected her mood much, but it hurt her foot, it was loud, it was everywhere, and she was extremely tired, so it nearly brought her to tears. Later in the Game room she was playing a solo game of pool, and couldn’t sink a shot, so she quit and went up to the kitchen to snack. Being away from Allie, she couldn’t think of anything to do, since she had gotten so used to having her in her arms every minute of every day.

While making a bowl of cheerios, she spilled the milk, and that was all it took to push her over her breaking point; she sat in the floor, and cried. “What happened?” Logan asked quickly, after hearing her crying he had decided to check on her. “I s-spilled the m-milk!” she answered. It took everything he had not to laugh at her, she was literally crying over spilled milk. “It ain’t a big deal, look I’ll clean it up.” He smiled, struggling not to let his amusement carry in his voice.

He cleaned up the milk that was on the floor and counter, put the rag back into the sink, and sat down next to her. “Better?” he asked. “N-no.” she sniffled, leaning her head on his shoulder. “What’s really wrong? Ya ain’t the kind to cry over somethin’ like this.” He asked. “I don’t kn-know.” She answered, “I’m just having a bad day.” She squeaked in addition. “C’mere.” He laughed, pulling her into his lap and holding her until she calmed down.

“Ya okay now?” he asked. “Yeah. Thanks.” She smiled, slowly getting up. “Do I look like I’ve been crying?” she asked, wiping her last tears away. “Ya… yeah, ya do.” He smirked.

“Hello Logan, Lyrissa … what has happened?” Storm gasped, going from content to high worry after seeing Lyrissa’s puffy red eyes. “You know those days, where you’re so strung out that something really small just throws you off the edge? I’m having one of those days. I spilled milk, and cried over it.” Lyrissa laughed. “Perhaps you should get some sleep, while the Professor has Allie.” She suggested. “Or a Sparkly Wolverine make out session!” Max teased from down the hall after overhearing their conversation. “Shut it Max!” Kiera scorned. “I apologize, but I must stop this argument before it begins.” Storm sighed, and quickly left the room.

“They fight more than me n’ Sabertooth.” Logan commented as he and Lyrissa walked aimlessly through the mansion. “They’re brother and sister, and twins to make it worse; of course they’re gonna argue.” She laughed.

“They should quit before someone gets hurt.”

“Here, we don’t have to worry. Before we moved in with you, Kiera broke Max’s finger in a fight, Max broke her nose once, she lit him on fire, he cut her hair… the fights and arguments here aren’t that bad.”

“Ya let ‘em do all that?”

“Well, yes and no. We had rules, and those were followed pretty strict. Their fights were something Andrew and me couldn’t stop. We were too busy with other things, so all we could really do was keep the kids from killing each other. They knew when to call it quits.”

“What other stuff?”

“Cops, gangs, people hunting mutants, CPS, finding food, finding warm clothes and blankets, survival basically.” Her hair lost some of its sparkle as she thought about the harder times in the sewers.

“Didn’t the Professor send ya money for that?”

“Yeah, but I told him not to spend too much on us, so he only sent enough to get us through, and occasionally a surprise, like enough for a huge order of pizza, Christmas presents, things like that.”

She looked up as they walked, and realized that they were walking right into the woods. “You mean to come out here?” She asked. “Nope. Just happened.” He shrugged. “You wanna see my favorite hiding spot? Only Jean, and Uncle Charlie know about it, so if I show you, and you tell, I will hurt you. That’s the great thing about your healing factor, I can stab you a thousand times, and it won’t kill you.” She warned. “Won’t tell a soul.” He promised.

They walked for a long time before coming to a huge oak tree. “Can you climb?” she asked. “Yeah.” He answered, looking up at the large branches. “Cool, follow me.” She smiled, kicking off her shoes, and climbing up. She climbed almost to the top, and started making her way to the center of the tree before climbing back down half way. When he joined her they were in a small fort sort of thing that she had built over the years she lived with them when she was younger. It was built mostly of blankets and sheets hung and tied to and from the branches, but it was well done, and surprisingly sturdy.

“You did all this yerself?” he asked, joining her on the three-sheet hammock she had as a floor. “Yeah, Hank still doesn’t know what happened to all these sheets from the infirmary.” She laughed, laying down and looking straight up at the leaves. “I remember him askin’ about them when they first went missin’. The Prof. told us they must’ve just gotten misplaced, didn’t say his niece stole ‘em fer a tree fort.” He smirked. “Mmhmm.” She sighed happily, taking one of the extra blankets she had folded in a corner, and putting it over them.

“All those nights after the funeral, when I’d just disappear, and be gone until the next day? I was here.” She said quietly, “When you asked why I never cried for my dad, the day I left, I stayed here for a few days before heading out for real. And I did cry for him, I cried a lot, just not around any of you. I cried here. It wasn’t like I didn’t miss him, that’s why I got so mad at you when you acted like that.”

“I’m sorry I did that. Shouldn’t have brought it up then.”

“It’s okay Logan.” She smiled, kissing him lightly on the cheek and snuggling closer to him.

They lay there for a while in silence before it started to rain. “Crap, help me with this, but don’t move around too much or we’ll fall. These sheets and blankets were tied up here years ago.” She explained with a smile, handing him a tarp and some rope to tie while she climbed up with the other side in her mouth, tying it high above them. “Keep it at an angle, so the water can run off on the other side of that pink sheet, that way we stay dry, and the tarp doesn’t collapse.” She shouted over the sudden downpour. “Gotcha!” he replied, quickly tying the knots and laying back down in her fort with her.

The rain was very loud on the tree, but the leaves kept them pretty dry, and with the tarp it was almost like being indoors. “Stupid rain, it always makes it colder out here.” She ranted, pulling another blanket over them; she kept several, since it did get cold out there. “Well c’mere then.” He smirked, pulling her on top of himself, and wrapping his arms around her tightly. “Better?” he asked playfully. “Maybe.” She grinned, kissing him a little before pulling back, “Yeah, it’s better.” She smiled, and let their kiss escalate.

Slowly as their activities got more intense, she felt one of his hands slide under her shirt, which sent shivers down her spine and made her kiss more; until he reached her bra, then she teleported out of the tree. “Sorry! I really, really didn’t want that to happen!” she yelled up to him over the rain. He didn’t answer, and started climbing out of her fort and to the ground. “What happened?” he asked once they were face to face. “I got nervous I guess, and teleported. I’m really starting to hate the teleportation!” she answered.

“I’m sorry fer that. C’mon, let’s get inside before ya get sick.” He smiled. “It’s not your fault, it’s mine. So don’t feel bad because I’m stupid!” she yelled over the heavy downpour rattling the trees around them. “Ya ain’t stupid.” He argued. “I am for teleporting like that.” She laughed.

Xavier gave them both a knowing smile as they passed him coming through the back door into the mansion. “Hey, how’s Allie?” Lyrissa asked, stopping in her tracks. “She is fine. Asleep at the moment.” He answered. “Thanks, I’ll let her sleep for a while, then go check on her.” She smiled, and went to get dried off.

“Dude, it’s pouring out there!” Jamie gasped, watching wide eyed out the window in the front room with Gambit. “Yes it is.” He laughed. “Wanna go play in it?” he asked quickly.

“You want Gambit do go out an’ play in de rain?”

“Yeah! I bet I can beat you at rain tag!”

“What’s Rain Tag?”

“Tag in the rain, duh! So do you wanna play or not? I can get more people to play.”

Gambit knew he wasn’t going to take no for an answer, and finally agreed; putting his cards on the table before going out, to keep them from getting soaked. “Lemme get Kiera, and Max, and Andrew, and Dante, and Jazz, and Box, and Sparkles, and Jubilee, and maybe even Wolverine, I’ll be right back!” Jamie shouted, and left in an orange blur, returning later with a huge grin on his face.

“Sparkles and Wolverine just got into some dry clothes, so he isn’t playing. But she said she would put her wet clothes back on and come play! Jubilee’s coming right now, and Rogue and Jean are coming too!” he clapped.

“Dat’s good. So how many we got?”

“Twelve. Me, you, Jean, Rogue, Sparkles, Kiera, Max, Dante, Box, Jazz, and Andrew, and Jubilee.”

No sooner did he finish his list, did the group start filing in around them. “So tag?” Max asked excitedly. “Yep! No powers.” Jamie grinned. “Why no powers?” Jean asked. “Because it’s not fair.” Lyrissa laughed, “We’ve been over the use of powers in games, several times. Super speed isn’t fair against someone who can’t go as fast, flying isn’t fair for people who have to stay on the ground, it’s just easier to avoid arguments that way.” She explained. “Sounds good. When do we start?” Rogue smiled. “Now. TAG YOU’RE IT!” Jamie shouted, tagging her, and running as fast as he could without using powers. The other kids followed suit and scattered around the back yard, and soon Rogue was chasing after everyone trying to tag someone. “Where’s the base!?” Kiera screeched when Rogue almost got her. “Bench by the cliffs!” Jamie answered. Everyone ran as fast as they could for the bench.

Lyrissa wasn’t fast enough, and got tagged. “Okay, one, two, three, get off my father’s apple tree!” she shouted. Most of the kids groaned and ran in every direction. “Five, six, seven, eight, my grandfather owns this place!” Jamie retorted. “Don’t play dirty little man, I’ll get you.” She laughed, running after Kiera, and tagging her.

The game went on for a long time, until a huge clap of thunder sounded. Every kid screamed, and Lyrissa teleported into Xavier’s study with him. “Can I help you?” he laughed, knowing that the thunder had scared her. “No.” she grinned stupidly, flinching when another thunderclap hit. “Some things refuse to change I see.” He laughed as she stood right next to him, instead of by the door. “I hate storms. I always will.” She muttered. “Yes, I know. Come on, you need to get dried off, again.” He smiled, and led her up to her room to get changed into her pajamas, since they were the only dry, clean things she had in her closet.

Half way through changing, lightning went off like a strobe, and caused the power to flicker, right as yet another huge thunderclap echoed through the area. Kiera screamed bloody murder, and Lyrissa, once again, teleported. She ended up in the kitchen, having to quickly pull her shirt on the rest of the way to keep Andrew and Scott from seeing her topless. “I remember you being afraid of thunder now, I forgot about that until now.” Scott laughed. “You’re scared of storms? No wonder you always disappeared when it stormed! You were scared! You can fight street thugs, and go on missions with the X-Men, but you can’t get through a thunderstorm!” Andrew teased. “Andrew, my dad died because of a storm like this, one of the only things I remembered from that night was the thunder. I never liked them before then, but after I was a thousand times worse. So knock, it, off.” She spat, going back up to find her Uncle Charlie. Since he was trying to calm Allie, and she knew that being empathic she would feel her fear of the storms, she went to hide in her room instead.

She refused to cry, she had done enough of that earlier when she spilled the milk, but as she hid in her closet, wrapped in a blanket, holding a flashlight just like she used to when she was little, crying was all she wanted to do. Another loud bang of thunder enough to rattle her bedroom window. She gasped and banged her head against the wall, only letting a few tears escape. She could hear the wind howling outside, the rain beating against her window and the walls of the mansion, see the lightning flickering every so often from under the closet doors that she had pulled closed; it was driving her crazy.

There was a knock at her door, followed by someone opening it and walking through her room when she didn’t answer. She could hear whoever it was looking under her bed, and sigh from finding she wasn’t there. Then there was a knock on the closet door. “I know yer in there, I can see the flashlight.” Logan said from the other side. “So?” she retorted, trying to hide the fact she was scared out of her mind; but that didn’t fool him. “Can I come in?” he asked. “I don-” she was interrupted by yet another thunderclap, and dropped her flashlight, which knocked the top off, and sent the batteries sliding across the floor; throwing her into darkness.

Logan took her small response before the thunder as a yes, and opened the door to find her huddled in a corner, with a small, baby pink, blanket wrapped around her shoulders; she was chewing on a corner. “Ya look adorable.” He smirked, shifting things around to make room for him to sit next to her. “Bite me.” She spat, focusing on the shoe in front of her, which she had been doing since she went to her room. He smiled and put his arms around her, pulling her close, and to her shock, awe, and surprise, he started to sing to her. And he was sober.

“Hush now, my love, I’m here don’t cry. Hush now, my love, I’ll hold you through the night. Come now, my love, just close your eyes. Listen now, to my words, because it’ll be all right. Just lay here next to me, and close your eyes. I’ll hold and protect you, and keep you safe tonight.”

She cried as he sang to her the same lullaby her father had sung to her. The one he said her mother had created just for her. The one she had sung to the kids when they were afraid, and came to her for comfort. “Where’d you learn that?” she sniffled, clinging to him and her blanket both. “Heard ya singin’ it in the shower, and Allie sang with it. The Professor said it always calmed ya down.” He answered. “And you remembered the words?” she laughed. “He helped a little, but yeah fer the most part.” He shrugged. “It did make me feel better, thank you.” She smiled, kissing him and resting her head on his shoulder against his neck. “Yer welcome.”

The rest of the storm they hid in the closet. Every so often she’d jump, or whimper, and every so often he’d pull her closer, and tell her it was all right. By the end of the storm she was asleep in his arms, with the corner of her blanket still in her mouth. He went to pull it away from her, but she grunted in her sleep and bit it harder; she acted a lot like Allie when someone tried to move Wogan while she was sleeping.

“Lyrissa, Logan, are you in here?” Andrew asked quietly, walking through her room. He knew that as soon as Andrew saw her chewing on her baby blanket, hiding in a closet from the storm, he’d have something to tease her about probably for the rest of her life, but he couldn’t do anything about it. If he moved, she’d wake up, and if he spoke in more of a whisper, she would probably wake up. All he could do was sit, and wait until Andrew opened the closet door.

When he did, he stopped and took in her childlike appearance and behavior. He snorted and covered his mouth tightly to contain his laughter. “You wake, and I’ll bust ya up. Got it?” Logan growled quietly. “Mmhmm.” Andrew replied in a high pitch, nodding quickly before erupting into laughter down the hall. Logan swore he heard him fall down some stairs, but that could’ve just been wishful thinking.

Downstairs Scott and Storm were watching some TV with some of the kids when he jumped down the stairs laughing like a madman. “What is so funny?” Storm asked curiously. “Sp-sparkles has a, a blankie!” he laughed, sitting in the floor. “Like a little fuzzy, baby blanket kind of blankie?” Jazz asked in awe. “Yeah, it’s pink! Pinker than the princess dress we made her wear after the prank war! Pink like baby pink!” he laughed. “No way, you’re lying.” Kiera shook her head, and turned her attention back to the movie. “Do I look like I’m freaking lying? She has a pink blankie, and she’s sleeping with it in her closet right now!” he was still laughing very hard. Scott started laughing with him, suddenly remembering the blanket he was talking about. “She’s chewing on the corner, isn’t she?” he asked. “YES!” Andrew almost died when Scott spoke, and was reduced to lying on the floor, holding his stomach in a fit of laughter.

“Wait, Mr. Summers, she really does have a blankie?” Kiera gasped. “Yes, she has had it since the day she was born. According to the Professor she would carry it with her everywhere she went when she was younger. It seems even to this day it brings her comfort.” Storm answered. “She’s almost twenty! Twenty year olds don’t sleep with blankies.” Dante laughed. “I still have the little Cyclops doll Scott gave me years ago, and I still sleep with it once in a while.” Jean commented as she joined them, sitting on the arm of the couch next to Scott.

After a while the laughter died down, and everyone had went back to relaxing and watching the movie. Logan came down a short later and joined them. “Lyrissa still asleep?” Jean asked. “Nah, she’ll be down in a sec.” He answered, as soon as he spoke, Lyrissa came down the stairs. “Hey guys.” She yawned. She didn’t realize that she still had the blanket around her shoulders until the entire room, except Logan, Storm, Jean, and Scott, burst into laughter. She gasped and pulled it off of her, and hid it behind her back, blushing the same shade as the blanket itself.

Xavier came in shortly after to investigate and stopped with a smile on his face. “It has been a long time since any of us have seen Binkie.” He chuckled. “Binkie!?” Jazz snorted. “I couldn’t pronounce ‘Pinkie’ when I was two!” Lyrissa defended. “The blanket’s name is Binkie?” Andrew laughed. “Guys… quit!” she whined. “Go cuddle with Binkie, make you feel all better.” Box cooed. “Fine.” She laughed, and ran to the corner of the room, wrapped the blanket over her shoulders and head, and sat there hugging her knees and sucking her thumb. “Oh man!!” Max laughed.

“Hey what so funny?” Gambit asked as he, Hank, and Rogue came to investigate the commotion. “Lyrissa, are you all right?” Hank asked, trying to hold his laughter back. “I’m little, scared of storms, and want my Binkie.” She laughed. “Ahm… that’s just cute Sugar.” Rogue laughed. “I know, they were making fun of me for having Binkie when I was scared upstairs, so I ended up in the corner.” She laughed.

“Logan, did you tell them about Binkie?” she asked suddenly, glairing daggers at him. “No. Andrew walked in, and he saw ya all curled up, and chewin’ on the corner. He left so he wouldn’t wake ya, and then told everyone.” He explained. “Two secrets you blow for me. Andrew, this is only fair.” She laughed. “What is… oh no. No you can’t, you swore you wouldn’t!” he gasped, standing up and moving so he was standing over her. “Oh yes, I can. Guys, until Andrew was seven years old, he wet the bed.” She announced. “LYRISSA YOU SPARKLING JERK!” he growled. She giggled and teleported so that she was standing behind Logan and Xavier. “Can’t get her now man.” Kiera laughed. “Well, he probably could, but he wouldn’t live all that long.” Jazz smirked.

Andrew, against his better judgment, made his move and tackled her, accidentally bashing her head against the ground. Of course Logan jumped in to help, he was expecting that, he didn’t expect Scott, and Gambit to join in though. “Yep, he’s hosed.” Jamie giggled. “Are you all right?” Xavier asked as he helped her up. “Yeah, fine.” She smiled, rubbing her head.

“GUYS! Knock it off!” she bellowed, shocking the X-Men, but only getting the kids and Andrew’s attention. “I’m fine, see? Andrew and me fight like that all the time, so don’t kill him okay?” she laughed. Logan, Scott, and Gambit let go of Andrew, who quickly went next to Lyrissa and put his arm around his shoulders. “Sorry about the blankie.” He smiled. “Binkie, and it’s okay. Sorry you wet the bed until you were seven.” She grinned. “You’re still a sparkling jerk.” He sighed, pushing her over and plopping onto the couch.

“So… this is normal for you?” Beast asked. “Yep.” Dante giggled. “Fascinating.” He smiled. “Why do ya fight like that, ya looked pretty serious there for a minute.” Rogue asked. “Tribal position.” Storm answered. “Yeah… wow she’s right, how’d she get that?” Max marveled. “She used to live in a tribe.” Xavier explained. “Oh, cool.” Kiera smiled. “So why do you fight like that though, I mean Jazz told me earlier that you have actually knocked each other unconscious before.” Scott asked. “Boredom, staying in control, and ending arguments for good.” Andrew shrugged. “Boredom? Ya fight like this fer fun?” Logan asked. “Well you do go to the Danger Room when you are bored.” Kiera pointed out. “She got a point Wolverine.” Gambit nodded.

“Look, the only time I knocked her out, was when we were fighting for real. I thought she was talking about taking all of us to see this person she called a Professor, I didn’t know about you guys, so I thought she was going to turn us all into CPS. We started arguing, after being awake for almost thirty hours straight, and before I knew it we were on the ground punching each other. She bit me, I kicked her, then I rammed her head into the wall and she was out.” Andrew explained.

“I had a black eye for a long time after that, but the next day we were cool again.” Lyrissa added quickly, hearing Logan’s growl, and noticing him clenching his fists. “It still doesn’t make sense.” Scott sighed. It was clear the gears in his head were grinding, trying to figure it out. “He fought her, to protect his group. It is the same as it would be if someone were to join the X-Men, and later insist on doing something you found endangering to the team.” Beast explained. “Thank you Hank.” Lyrissa smiled. “Any time.” He nodded.

“So, here you don’t fight to decide things, like what direction to take to get somewhere, or what plan to use?” Jamie asked in mild confusion. “No we don’t.” Scott answered firmly. “Although Logan would probably agree with that tactic.” Hank smiled, earning a smirk from Logan. “So like, if you said you’re going one way, and he said he’s going another, how would you decide what way to go then?” Max asked. “We would go with the original plans. And it wouldn’t be the first time Wolverine left to follow his own ideas.” Scott sighed. “They run things differently than we do.” Lyrissa summed up.

Since Lyrissa had slept through more than half of the storm, so she stayed up later than everyone else. Even Logan went to bed before her, after a few games of pool, and an accidental game of hide and seek. Accidental on his part at least, she had it all planed out. By the time she went to bed, the sun was coming up, and she just curled up in a ball in one of the chairs in the living room, and fell asleep chewing on the corner of Binkie.