Status: Finished

Coffee and Cigarettes

December

Kenny Montgomery was having a Christmas party and because Gerard had second period English with him, he got invited. Not to say that he wouldn't have gone anyways. There was free beer and God only knew how much nicotine would be lurking around every corner. Not to mention the weed. Gerard hadn't gotten high in ages.

"You should come," he said, propping his feet up on the dashboard of his car. He'd let Frank take the driver's seat because his parents wouldn't let him drive. He had his license and everything, but no car.

Frank raised his eyebrows. "What would I do there? Sit in a corner and sulk while nobody bothers to make conversation?"

Gerard chuckled. "No. You can hang with me, you know? Make some connections. Smoke a joint or two."

Frank rolled his eyes, knowing that last part was only Gerard making fun of his hate for smokers. Marijuana was one thing he hated more than cigarettes.

"Real funny, Gerard."

Gerard shrugged. "All jokes aside, I think you should come. You're so antisocial it kills me. I mean... I hate people, but at least I party. You don't do anything but hang out with me... and God knows how unhealthy that is."

"it's not that bad, actually. Sure, you're a bad influence, there's no denying that, but you keep me sane in a backwards sort of way."

Gerard took a pack of cigarettes from the glove box and lit one up. He made a point of rolling the window down before he took a drag and exhaled out the window. Frank smiled contentedly, knowing he'd had some sort of effect on Gerard.

"So, you're coming?"

Frank sighed. He knew there was no avoiding this party. Not while Gerard was stuck on it. "Fine. I'll ask my parents about it."

"No," Gerard stated. "You're just gonna go. We both know your parents won't allow parties, I'm not stupid, say you're working on a project and you're staying at my place."

"But I'm not staying at your place, I'm going to a party, Gerard. I can't lie like that."

Gerard grinned, taking another drag off his cigarette. He leaned forward, his face inches away from Frank. He turned his head a little, exhaled, then looked back into his friends eyes. The lack of space between the pair made Frank a little uneasy, but at the same time, it was a little thrilling.

"Just tell your parents you're staying at my place; then you're only half lying."

○ ○ ○

Kenny Montgomery's house smelled of sweat, booze, and pot. It made Frank feel queasy and Gerard feel alive. It'd been a while since he'd been to a real party and the fact that he'd only just entered one really upped his mood.

"Ready to get shit faced, Frankie?" He asked, a grin resembling that of the Cheshire Cat gracing his features.

The smile made Frank feel even more on edge, but he found it hard to say no. "Yeah," he replied. "Whatever."

Gerard led the way to the nearest keg, handing Frank the first drink and taking a gulp from the second. He looked down at Frank, motioned for him to drink and downed the rest of his before moving onto a second.

Frank raised the plastic cup to his lips, his eyes focusing on the murky brown liquid inside. He pursed his lips and then closed his eyes before swallowing. In Frank's opinion, beer had to be the foulest tasting beverage on the planet, but Gerard seemed to like it. Frank liked Gerard and to be honest, didn't feel like listening to him complain, so he finished the drink.

"Done? Want another?"

Frank shook his head. "No. It's kinda disgusting if you ask me."

Gerard furrowed his brow. "Then why'd you drink it?"

"Because," Frank began. "You'd only complain about me not finishing it."

Gerard laughed, throwing an arm around Frank's shoulder. "No no no, Frankie. I'd only drink it for you." He continued to laugh lightly to himself and then looked down at his friend once more. "You know what? You can be the designated driver. That way I can drink as much as I want and not worry about it. Or call my little brother."

Frank shrugged. "Whatever. Go get shitfaced, Gerard."

Gerard leaned over and kissed the side of Frank's head. He gave him a quick pat on the back and said something about finding some grass. Frank rolled his eyes, found a can of Hawaiian punch in the fridge and went to sit on the couch. He wasn't sure why he bothered with showing up since Gerard had ditched him for a couple of hits off a bong.

A few hours later Gerard reappeared, staggering into the living room, his eyes searching for Frank. The younger of the two stood from the couch and placed a hand on his intoxicated friend's shoulder.

"What the hell happened to you?" He asked.

Gerard grinned, leaning on Frank for physical support more than anything else. "I..." he trailed off, his eyes following a boy in a red jacket.

"Gerard!" Frank repeated. "Focus."

"Oh!" Gerard laughed, loud and full. "I... I went in the back and... you know... this guy had some pot and I you know... smoked alittle... Drankalittle...And I'm... Oh God, I'm so wasted."

Frank sighed, his head hanging low. He hadn't signed up for this. He figured Gerard would be a little tipsy at most, but this was just too much.

"Come on, Gee. Lets go."

Gerard shuffled along with Frank, his head resting on the smaller boy's shoulder. "You're such a good friend, Frank..." he mumbled. "I mean, you're a little square," chuckle. "But you're a good friend."

Frank nodded. "Yeah, but you gotta walk, Gerard. I can't carry you."

Gerard drew in a deep breath and tried a little harder to walk straight. When he realized he couldn't concentrate on that simple task without stumbling he giggled. "I can't," he breathed out. "I'm to inebriated."

Frank groaned as he opened the front door. "Fine. Lets just get to the car. Can I have your keys? You can't drive."

Gerard nodded, his hair falling into his face. "Back pocket, buddy."

Frank looked into Gerard's eyes. "You're so fucked, Gerard."

Gerard didn't really answer him, just grunted and mumbled something about being hungry. Frank ignored the comment and reached into the back pocket of Gerard's jeans.

"Go ahead, Frankie," he slurred. "Copafeel."

Once Frank had the keys, he slung Gerard's arm around his shoulders and practically dragged him to the car. "Lean on the side while I open the door, okay? Can you do that for me, Gee?"

Gerard nodded, his eyes slipping shut.

"No. Don't go to sleep. Just... stand there okay? We have to get to your house."

Gerard cursed under his breath about being tired, but listened to Frank's instructions nonetheless. Frank unlocked the door and helped Gerard into the passenger's seat. He then ran around to the driver's side and slid into the car, shutting the door behind him.

"Thank you, Frankie," Gerard mumbled, smiling sleepily in his friend's direction.

Frank couldn't help but to smile back. "Yeah, sure."
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a note. If you were one of the few people reading All the Stars in Texas, I deleted that story. It wasn't going where I wanted it to and I needed to make a few changes. It should be up again sooner or later. Maybe with a different title.