A Raven and a Sparrow

A Raven and a Sparrow, Part 5, A Touch of Heart

Slowly, she got up and headed for the door. Up on deck, she breathed s long, relieved breath of salty sea air. The musty cellar had nearly suffocated her. She wasted no time in quickly checking over herself and sprinting up to the helm. When she got there, Jack was still there, turning the wheel every few seconds. It was dusk, and the dull orange sun was barely hovering over the horizon in the mellow pink sky. Annabeth and Jack were alone, as the rest of the crew had turned in for the night. “Beauty of a night, innit?” Jack asked. Although his voice was sangfroid, his eyes darted from her, to the helm, to the horizon, and back to her. Annabeth let her mind drift away and she answered hazily, “Yes, it is.” Remembering what Jack had asked for, she handed him the rum, but he only set it down. “Someone came for you, Bootstrap Bill Turner.” She uttered.
Jack’s expression faltered for a moment, but then he relaxed. “Must’ve been Will…”
He brushed a strand of hair out of her face and whispered, “You have beautiful eyes.”
Annabeth opened her mouth to speak, but decided against it and shut her mouth. She once again looked up at Jack, and noticed that the sun had moved behind him and was casting an awing glow on his already handsome face. His lips twitched, and Annabeth felt her face near his, until she could feel the warmth of his body. She closed her eyes, and they moved nearer still. The heat of his lips lightly touched upon her’s, and she realized what she was doing. She pulled away quickly and ran to her cabin, leaving Jack staring after her.
Annabeth threw herself onto her bed, sobbing helplessly. She couldn’t believe that she had kissed the captain, and wouldn’t imagine what he thought of her now. Her thoughts were so jumbled that she finally gave up and cried herself to sleep.