Status: Finished.

Change of Heart

Solutions

The next morning, I woke up really late, past noon. That left me kind of groggy, so when I went into the kitchen after getting ready, my head was still kind of in the clouds.

"Good morning," Soda greeted. He was stuffing a piece of chocolate cake in his mouth on the couch, his eyes not blinking as they looked at the clunky television set.

"'Mornin'," I grumbled, running a hand through my hair and trying to will myself to wake up a little more.

"Try some coffee," Sodapop offered from the other room, noticing my struggle. "Why are you even tired anyway? I was up hours ago."

"Aren't you supposed to be at work?" I turned to face him, raising an eyebrow.

"Nope. Got the later shift today, so I don't start until three."

"Okay." I poured myself some coffee from the pot from when Darry made some for himself. It was lukewarm, but it was alright after I added a good amount of sugar and cream.

Then, since I was too lazy to make myself some eggs, I just cut myself a piece of cake and shoved Soda's legs off the couch so I could sit. "Where is el muchacho de caballo?"

"Who?"

"It's kind of like Ponyboy in Spanish...except it means Horse Boy. Close enough." I shrugged and waited for an answer.

"Oh...well...um...anyway...He's hanging out with Sammy."

I nodded and put my feet up so they rested on Soda's lap while I ate my cake. "Your feet smell," he joked, scrunching up his nose.

"Your face smells."

"You can't smell my face." He stuck out his tongue at me.

"Actually, I can. It smells so bad that I can smell it from here." I pinched my nose like I smelled something foul.

He shoved me and laughed. "You're such a loser."

"Excuse me, but you started it."

"Mhm, likely story." I opened my mouth to retort, but he cut me off by saying, "Darry should be home around five so..."

It didn't take a genius to figure out what he was talking about. "Yeah, probably," I answered his thoughts.

"You'll probably be alone, since when Pony hangs out with Sammy, he usually doesn't get home until later at night."

"Thanks for the update," I joked, grinning widely. The door flew open then and Steve stepped in.

"Ew. Go away," I told him, not showing any signs that I wasn't serious. He shot me an annoyed look.

"I could say the same to you. Go back to California, rich girl."

"Get back on the streets, hobo." We stared down for a couple of seconds before he cracked a smile.

"C'mon, Soda. We gotta get to work soon...ish..."

"You're intellectual," I rolled my eyes. Steve shot me cut-eye again. "And you have a big nose."

"Wow, I didn't notice." He picked up a shoe that was next to the door and chucked it at my head.

Luckily, I ducked just in time because if that had hit me, I would have bled. Steve did not toss that lightly. There was quite a bit of force behind it.

"Are you trying to kill me?!" I snapped, getting to my feet.

"You're dramatic," he scoffed, crossing his arms.

"God, you're so impossible. How does anyone even deal with you?!" I know that I'd started this whole thing, but he was the one who took it too far. After all, I was just kidding.

"Oooooookay," Soda trailed off with an uncomfortable tone to his voice, pulling his shirt on as he entered the room. I didn't know that we had been so loud that he heard us from his room. "Let's go, Steve."

"What? Work doesn't start for another hour."

"We'll grab something to eat first."

"But I'm not hun-"

"BYE, SOPHIA!" Soda screamed, though I was right in front of him, before taking Steve's arm and dragging him out the door.

"Ugh. Asshole," I remarked about Steve, noticing that the shoe he'd thrown at me had been mine. I threw it back next to the door and cringed as it banged against the wall.

Good thing no one was home. It was kind of loud...

I grabbed my To Kill A Mockingbird book and read it until the door opened a few minutes past five. Darry walked in and put his boots by the door, sighing.

"Oh, hi," he greeted when he finally noticed me sitting there on the couch. I didn't know that I was that easy to blend into my surroundings...that could have been pretty useful to have used in my high school years...

"Hey. How was work?"

He let out a little grunt. Okay...so that's a not so good? "My back is killing me."

"How many times have Pony and Soda told you not to carry two bundles of roofing?" I questioned, rolling my eyes.

"I lost count," he admitted, smiling a little.

"I'm not surprised."

It was quiet for a couple of minutes. I didn't want to bring up the subject of whether or not Darry liked me. How awkward would that be? Normal people don't just start talking to someone like, 'Hey, you like me still? Hmmm?' Just...no.

"So how are things going with Dally? I heard you saw him at the drive-in the other night with another date," Darry finally spoke up. Oh, thank God.

"It was fine," I told him. "I didn't feel awkward at all. We just sort of...talked and walked away. There was nothing."

"Really?" He sounded surprised.

"Yeah, really. He just...I don't know. I think you were right. I just liked him because he showed obvious interest. I need to work on that."

"Definitely." Darry gave me a teasing smirk, and I shoved his shoulder lightly.

"You're a loser."

"Thanks."

Finally, I got up the courage to ask him. The butterflies were fluttering in my stomach as I said, "So...do you still...like me?"

He looked a little shocked by my question, but he took a small breath before finally speaking. I bit my lip with anxiety, waiting for his answer.