Status: Finished.

Change of Heart

Finishing Up

Two days later, I had decided that I was no longer going to have any problems with Dally. It was the perfect time, since Darry and Soda were at work, and Ponyboy was with Sammy.

So, after getting dressed and ready, I started walking around the city. Eventually, I got to the point I remembered well, despite the fact I'd only been there a couple times. Flashes of that night of the party still flickered through my head, every step I took toward Buck's house.

After taking a deep breath once I was on the front steps, I knocked three times. No one answered.

"Maybe it's a sign," I mumbled to myself, starting to back away. But then, I argued with myself in my head, saying that I should try just one more time. Maybe everyone was passed out drunk. That would certainly explain things.

This time, I rapped my fist on the door a couple more times. I listened closely, and a minute later, I heard someone rousing themselves from sleep. "I'm coming, I'm coming," the person yawned, working to open the door. Why I didn't just walk into the house, I wasn't sure. It wasn't like the door was locked.

"Soph?" Dally's tired voice asked. My spine stiffened slightly before I remembering that he was the reason I was here.

"Can I talk to you?" I was looking straight into his eyes, trying to show that I was serious about this.

"Uh, I guess. Hold on." The door shut behind him, and he escaped back into the house for a second. A few minutes later, he reemerged with his brown leather jacket on.

We were silent for a couple minutes, just walking along the street.

"So did you want to say anything?" Dally yawned widely, not bothering to cover his mouth. How classy.

"Right." I couldn't help but let it cross my mind that this was the Dally I liked, not the cocky, annoying guy that I usually had to deal with. "I just want to say this right out, no beating around the bush."

He waited, and I still didn't say anything. "Anytime soon, princess? I have some sleeping to do."

"It's almost noon..."

"And I went to sleep at nine." He yawned again. "Three hours just ain't gonna cut it. So if we could hurry this, it'd be nice."

Taking a deep breath, I rushed, "I don't like you anymore."

"Strangely enough, I've gotten that message." He rolled his eyes.

"Well, if you get the message, then why don't you leave me alone? You keep trying to get me away from Darry, telling me how bad he is for me and stuff..." I stopped and leaned against the wire fence that to our left. "I just want you to be clear on the fact that you need to stop."

Dally sighed and dug his hands in his pockets, staring at the sky for a second. "I know," he whispered so quietly that I thought I'd misheard him. Then, he cleared his throat loudly to try to cover up the fact that he'd said anything.

I shot a smug look at him. "Then why do you do it? Why are you always on my case? You know it pisses me off."

He looked angry for a second. "You're so nosy. Maybe I do it because I know it pisses you off."

"Then that makes you a dick," I said matter-of-factly.

"I'm not going to stand here and deny that," he snickered. "But..." His eyes blanked out for a second.

"Hello? Brain function? I asked you a question."

He gave me an angry look and muttered, "I don't know why." He crossed his arms and flopped next to me against the fence.

"So you just think it's a good idea to annoy the hell out of me. Maybe you are a dick." I calmed down for a second, taking a deep breath. "Sorry...that wasn't why I came here. I didn't want to form more rifts between us. I just... I think it's awkward, how much we hate each other, and we have the same friend base."

Dally nodded. "Yeah, I guess. I'll try to stop."

"I guess that's all I can ask..." I trailed off, rubbing the back of my neck for a second. "Though I'd prefer an, 'I'll stop.'"

"Well, you never know," he smirked. "I am a dick, after all."

I rolled my eyes and shoved him jokingly. "Alright, I'm done. You can go back to sleep now, if you want."

"I will. See you later, Soph." Dally turned and started walking down the street on the sidewalk, slouching and looking as tough as he could. In that second, I realized that anyone who tried to mess with Dally would get a face full of fist. I guess I was lucky.

After staring after him for a second, I headed back to the Curtis House, which was still empty. I threw myself on the couch and stared at the ceiling, kind of replaying the discussion in my head.

"Hola!" Two-Bit exclaimed as he walked through the door.

"Hi," I nodded toward him. "Do you even know what that means?"

"Sure. I've taken about five years of Spanish now... Well...they were all Spanish one...but still. Hola means..." He looked at the ceiling and thought hard. "Shit, what does it mean?!"

I shook my head and stood up. "C'mon, Sophie! Give me a little help!"

"Five-year-olds even know what that means," I informed him. "Go ask one."

"Ehhh...their parents might think I'm a pedophile..." He seemed to debate that for a second before shaking his head. "Anyway, what are you up to?"

"Just chilling out. What have you done so far today, other than bum around and, uh," I caught a glimpse of the bottle in his hand, "drink beer?"

"Not much," he answered with a large grin. "I woke up, drank some beer, and came over here while drinking some more beer."

"You need some help," I told him frankly before getting up. "Ever try rehab?"

"Why would I want to do that? Drinking is too much fun." He took a very large gulp from his beer bottle and smiled.

I shook my head and smiled back, thinking about how my life was going to be a whole lot simpler...
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to everyone who reads/subscribes/comments on my story! I appreciate it a lot. :D Comment and subscribe!