Status: Finished.

Change of Heart

Silly with a Spattering of Serious

"Hmmm...I want..." Two-Bit debated, looking over the menu about a thousand times, stretching out his words so long that it made me want to kick him in the face. Taking in a sharp breath, he continued, "Gee, there's so much to choose from."

"Hey, Two-Bit," I said, raising an eyebrow at him, "why don't you think on the inside of your head?"

"That wouldn't be nearly as entertaining," he argued.

"And it wouldn't be nearly as annoying," Steve muttered.

"You got something to say to me?" Two-Bit snapped. "I'll mess you up with my huge muscles."

"You mean your baby fat?" Sammy offered, laughing lightly.

"Excuuuuuuuuse me?" Two-Bit turned toward Sammy slowly and dramatically. "This is rock hard muscle right here."

"Excuse you, but that's flubbery fat right there," Sammy corrected.

"Will you two shut up?" Pony whispered. "We're in a public place, and y'all are bein' real loud."

"Yeah, Pony's right," Darry spoke. "Quiet down, or we're leaving."

It was quiet for a couple of minutes, since everyone was taking Darry's threat seriously. Then, Two-Bit's stomach growled loudly.

"I'm hungry!" he announced loudly.

Dally rolled his eyes. "Like we give a shit."

"But you dooo," Two-Bit told him. Then, he stood up on his chair and started belly-dancing in the middle of the restaurant. "I'm hungry, hungry, hungry. So very hungry."

"Get back in your seat," Darry scolded seriously, leaning forward in his chair so his elbow rested on the table. "You're acting like a moron."

Two-Bit just continued to dance. "Sodapop Patrick, join me, boy." He reached across Johnny, who shrunk back in his chair, to reach for Soda's hand.

But Soda didn't take it, instead climbing onto the table and swinging his hips from side to side. "TWIST AND SHOUT!" he sang in a raspy voice. "COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, BABY NOW!"

Immediately, Two-Bit switched from his belly dancing to the twist, singing along with Soda. Sammy stood up with a large grin on her face and started to dance around the table, twisting with her elbows locked at her sides.

"Oh, my God," I groaned, putting my head on Darry's shoulder. "I forgot how weird they are. Well...I never knew how weird Sammy was, but still."

Darry patted my head a couple of times. "There, there." Then, as I lifted up my head, I saw him put on his tough, no nonsense look. It was kind of scary. "Sodapop, you better get your ass off the table before I chop it off with a steak knife."

Soda's eyes grew wide as he hopped off the table. "Hell, no need to get so graphic."

"Two-Bit, sit down in that chair before I chop off something infinitely more valuable to you." Darry's eyes widened to accentuate what he was trying to say. Everyone at the table got it and started laughing.

Grumbling to himself, he sat back down in his seat. "You're such a killjoy," he hissed at Darry.

"Sammy, sit down." He didn't want to threaten her, 'cause that would draw even more attention to us.

"Make me," she retorted, sticking out her tongue.

"Alright," Darry agreed, standing up. He picked her up under her arms and sat her down in her chair. "You get up, and you'll be sorry."

"You ain't my dad," she snapped at him.

"No, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't follow my directions. Stay put."

"What if I have to pee?" Darry turned to glare at Sammy, and they locked eyes, anger and irritation flowing between them.

"I'm done talking to you now," he resolved as the waitress finally came over, probably thinking that since the people were done dancing, it was safe to approach the table. I don't blame her either. The way Two-Bit was dancing, if he bumped into her, she would have gone flying into the wall across the restaurant or something.

Everyone ordered, though Two-Bit took about a thousand years, listing everything off the menu before Dally finally got fed up and ordered something with anchovies and sardines for him.

"There, happy?" Dally snapped.

"Actually, I love anchovies, so you're out of luck for trying to piss me off," Two-Bit replied, giving Dally a 'Ha-ha-I-win' look. Dally didn't look too happy about that.

"I kind of want to dance again..." Soda mumbled.

"Don't," Darry warned him, his eyes serious as he took a sip of the cup of Coke in front of him.

"I know, I know." Soda crossed his arms in front of him and sank down a little in his seat, sticking out his bottom lip like a spoiled three-year-old.

Soon enough, and without too many more incidents, our food came. We ate quickly, and Darry threw down some money on the table before whisking us outside.

"I don't know why," he sighed as we were piling back into the truck, some of us in the front cab part, the rest in the bed of the truck, "I thought we could go anywhere. Something always gets outta hand, wherever we go."

"It's fine," I giggled. "It was fun, even if it was embarrassing."

Darry shook his head before starting to pull the truck out of the parking lot. "Thanks a lot," I told him. "For everything. For dinner and for letting me stay in the house."

He turned and smiled at me. "No problem. It wasn't much for Johnny's cousin."

"Good to know that I have such a big meaning to you." I laughed, but it sounded hollow to my ears, empty. Weird.

"Oh, you know I didn't mean it like that."

"Well, aren't you two just friggin' adorable?" Dally sniffed from my right. I was sitting in between the two seats.

I blushed bright red as I nudged Dally with my shoulder. "Shut up. We don't mean anything."

"Mhm," he patronized, winking. I smirked and shook my head, eyes narrowed.

A couple minutes later, we arrived back at the house. Everyone was slouched all over the house, while Two-Bit was trying to convince them to turn on the TV to see if Mickey Mouse was on TV. Sometimes, things never change.

"Let me show you to your room," Darry offered, starting to lead the way. I followed him quietly, and I noticed that Johnny tagged along. In the back of my mind, I wondered what he wanted to say to me. My curiosity was almost overwhelming, but I kept my mouth shut with Darry there.

"Here ya go." Darry threw open the door, my suitcase and backpack against the bureau, and the bed made neatly.

"Wow, it's great. Thanks a lot." I turned and smiled at him.

"Well, I'll leave you to unpack," he allowed, walking out the door. Johnny shuffled in, shutting the door behind him.

"So what'd ya have to say, Johnnycakes?" I questioned, moving as I worked to unzip the gigantic suitcase in front of me.

"I just wanted to talk to you about Dally." There was something in his voice that struck me, so I looked up at him. "Dal's a cool old guy but...he can be a little..." He reached up and rubbed his hand against the back of his neck. "Dal's a pig, to put it nicely. He jumps from girl to girl, and I noticed him eying you... Just...be careful, Sophie. Be careful."

I nodded. Johnny was obviously serious, from the look on his face, along with the fact that was the most words that I'd heard him talk at one time. "I will, Johnny. Don't worry."

He smiled lightly before walking out of the room. God...maybe being here was going to be a little more complicated than I originally thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe! Por favor. :)