Drop Dead.

Home.

The blood rushing from my head to my feet, the wind in my hair, the running footsteps, and labored breathing, it’s all part of our everyday lives. We perfect this, running away. We know all the alley ways, all the back roads, all the best hiding places. We know which way to go and which way not to. We know every nook and cranny in this hell hole and it’s what we use to survive.

These dark, frightening, seemingly lifeless places are our homes. We live in and with the garbage and scum of the earth. I guess you could say we are the dirt and scum. We’re the kids running around the streets, breaking into houses, mugging the defenseless, and stealing to get what we need.

Most would say we do it for fun but that isn’t true. We do it to survive. It’s the only way for us to live. It’s the only way we know how to live.

And that’s why we do it. It’s why we’re doing it right now.

Tee, Prince, and I are running side by side. Tee has his arms full of jeans and t-shirts he managed to take from the drawers of the family home. Prince and I grabbed everything we could from the kitchen but it seems that we were a little too slow because the owners got home sooner than we thought.

Why those filthy rich bastards are shouting at us from down the street, I’ll never know but, if anything, their voices only makes us run faster. Tee and I round the street corner, our shoes scuffing against the pavement. Smirking, I look back at Prince to say something about how slow he’s being but the sound…that loud, ear busting sound puts that to an end.

Prince doesn’t turn the corner but instead falls to the pavement, skidding across it. Blood…is suddenly creating a pool around his body and I scream. My fingers reach towards him but Tee grabs me by the arm, telling me that we can’t help, that we have to go.

Prince is just lying there though. His body is still moving. He’s alive, I try to tell Tee this but when Prince turns his head to look at us, his bright blue eyes suddenly becoming a dull gray we both know that he isn’t going to make it and so does he. I think that’s why he said it, “Run…just run.”

He coughs out blood and inhales once more and he leaves this world with a smile on his face.


That happened one year ago and I’ll never forgive those pigs for taking away the one person I thought I’d never lose. Prince, my best friend, my idol, my everything, my life was taken from me because some stuck up pricks decided that they needed their fancy cars and their fancy houses and their fancy food more than we do.

Well, those bastards will pay for it one day. I bet karma will come back to bite ‘em in the ass and if it doesn’t than fuck, karma is being a total bitch and should get itself checked to make sure it’s mentally stable.

A white flake hitting my cheek tells me that I should go. Tearing my eyes from his plaque, I look up at the darkening gray sky. It’s telling me a storm’s comin’ and I grunt. Shoving my hands in my pockets of my old, ripped up hoodie, I look once more at the small stone.

Closing my eyes, I sigh and whisper, “I miss ya Prince, we all do. Fuck…it’s so fuckin’ unfair that they got you an’ not me. They shoulda got me, it was my idea.” Shaking my head, I choke back the tears that always come to me when visiting this heart breaking place. “Until next time, man.”

“Jinx, man where da fuck did you go?” Tee shouts, waving from above. Sliding the door of the warehouse shut, I make my way over the sleeping bodies of drug addicts, alcoholics, and homeless. All of them are family, they’re my brothers, my sisters and maybe we don’t get along all the time and sure some of them are addicts and creeps but we’re all in the same boat here.

We’re all scum, useless pieces of flesh, and we know it.

“Tee,” I grunt quietly so no one but he can hear me. Biting my lip, I shoot him a glare that clearly states that he should know where I went. His dark brown eyes widen and he curses, suddenly remembering what day this is.

“Sorry man,” he whispers, scratching nervously at the back of his neck. “I just…fuck, I don’t like ta think about dat. I like to keep thinkin’ that Prince is out there, ya know?”

I groan because it’s impossible to stay angry at Tee. Throwing my head back, I stare up at the old ceiling of this shit hole. As much of a shit hole as it is, it’s still shelter which is what I need. I’ve lived here for seven long years and at times I’ve considered leaving and trying to make something of myself…

But then I remember everything that’s happened. I remember how people look at me and how they’ll continue to look at me. I remember that I’m still under age and there is no way in hell that I’m going back to the system. Sometimes it’s better to be out of it than in.

So I stay here, in what most people would call a hell but I prefer to call it home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Re-Posted.

Comment&Subscribe?