Drop Dead.

Foreign.

Toes curl against soft carpet, taking in the foreign feeling and relishing in it. Warm air tickles my skin, sending a shiver down my spine and the heat of the house actually forces me to remove my coat, the one I’ve owned for many long years and hasn’t once left my side. Rough fingers run across piles of blankets, grips at the pillows, fluffs them and goes to feel the wooden surface of a dresser just across the room.

It’s been so long since I’ve been in a situation like this, surrounded by things that are actually mine, that I haven’t stolen. Strange…that’s a good word to describe all of this. The carpet, the blankets and the pillows, the walls keeping out the cold and the closet ready to be filled with useless things…yes, strange would definitely be a good descriptive word.

Not once since I’ve left the foster home have I imagined myself in a house like this. Saying that it would be large is a lie but its definitely not average size either. Ok, it is larger than average houses with one living room, a kitchen, two bathrooms, two bed rooms, one master bed room and a sun room. It’s a house that I usually look at with a scowl, wishing the worst on the owners because they honestly don’t need a house this size.

Now that I’m inside though…I must admit, it’s a nice feeling. Having a roof over my head, food waiting downstairs, a tub to bathe in, it’s all so great and it’s leaving my entire body tingling with excitement. I’m shaking from head to toe and breathing is becoming harder and harder to do the more I think about all this.

With shaky knees, I plant myself back on the bed, staring in awe at the room that is now my own. The walls are blank but plans to paint them have already been made. The bed is big enough for me and I even have my own balcony that shows me the entire expanse of the back yard, which has a pool and hot tub by the way.

It all hits me fast and hard. I’m currently in a house that I never had even in my wildest of dreams along with Gel, who I can and always will look after and we’re not on the streets anymore. We’re with a family, that if likes us, will keep us and care for us. They can send us to school and we can get clothes and food and all the necessities without worrying about it.

No more stealing. No more drugs or alcohol surrounding us day after day. No more rapes and screams and creepy old men. The life that I have just lead for so many years is gone. It’s really gone…

“You ok?”

I blink out of the trance. The world around me suddenly comes back into view and my little emotional moment is gone. Putting on a hard face, I face the door where the voice came from and I’m shocked to see Laker standing there with his hands shoved in his pants pockets. Leaning against the door frame, he smirks and pushes himself off to walk over to me.

The bed squeaks under his weight and he sighs. Resting his elbows on his knees, he leans up and looks about the blank room that is now my own. My eyes run over his jeans that hug his muscular legs. I don’t know how he can fit in those things…

And his shirt is tight as well, showing off the muscles beneath. He’s wearing a thin navy blue jacket along with a gray beanie. Green eyes trace over every inch of the room before returning to me. The room is completely silent while we stare at each other until I can’t take it anymore and scowl, “What do you want?”

“Someone sure does know their manners,” Laker snorts, finally turning away from me to look out the doorway. When he doesn’t find whatever he was waiting for, he faces me once more. “That’s not a good way to start a conversation.”

My eyes narrow and hands clench. Laker notices this reaction and with a roll of his eyes he stands to his feet. Adjusting his shirt he sighs, “I guess you wouldn’t notice but I live across the street. Dad told me to come over and say hi. He wouldn’t get off my ass about it so,” he shrugs. “I decided what the hell, it could be fun.”

“Fun?”

“Yeah,” Laker leans in close, so close that his breath is heating my skin. My eyes open wide and he smirks at the reaction. Before I know it, he flicks my nose. The reaction I make must amuse him because he laughs and I snarl. “Uncle Kenny also invited me to come out to eat with you four.”

“Uncle Kenny?” I question.

“He’s not really my uncle but I’ve been around him all my life so I just started calling him that. Now come on, we’re leaving.” Laker walks out the door, leaving me absolutely speechless. After shaking my head and regaining my composure I stand and leave the room to head downstairs where everyone is getting ready to leave.

I mention mine and Gel’s attire, which Mimi replies to with a smile, “I know dear, that’s why we’re going to go clothes shopping before we go out to eat…well, if that’s ok with you of course.”

Looking at Gel I see the pure excitement in her eyes and agree with a sigh, which Gel squeals at and wraps her slim arms around my own. Hugging onto it tightly, we all exit the house to head for the car. The three of us kids get in the back and I’m not sure how I feel about Gel sitting between Laker and I.

I don’t trust him. He’s weird and that is the reason I use for keeping my eyes on him the entire ride. Gel is speaking to Ken and Mimi about something. I hear their laughter and when Gel tugs at my arm, I look away from Laker to her.

“What are you staring at him for?” She whispers into my ear.

Grumbling, I reply, “I don’t trust him.”

“You don’t trust anyone.”

I put up no argument. There’s no point because that’s true. With a shrug of my shoulders, I glance at Laker once more. Our eyes meet, his green eyes boring into my own. For a moment it feels like he can read me, like he knows what I’m thinking, how I’m feeling and what has happened to me. It’s a bit frightening but at the same time, it isn’t because I know there is no way he has any idea about how I’m feeling.

He’s just some kid.

Sighing, I lean my head against the glass. My eyes examine everything we pass and it doesn’t take long for us to reach the mall. I’ve been here many times. It’s been a while since I’ve come here with money to actually buy something.

It feels strange but a good strange…I kind of like it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love my little Jinx
=D

Comment&Subscribe?