The Tragic Truth

Party

Before the party, Dannii and I were trying stuff on; trying to figure out what to wear.

"Hey, where's that Invader Zim tank top?" Dannii asked. We shared basically everything. She was a little smaller than me, but other than that, we were exactly the same size.

"Umm, I think it's folded up in the top right drawer." I replied. I decided to go with a skull-and-crossbones tight tee shirt, my 'goth pants' as Dannii called them [they're baggy black cargo pants with a bunch of zippers & chains], my converses of course, and I just spiked my hair up a bit with some colored gel. It made the tips of my hair pink, which was an awesome contrast to my bottle-jet black.

Dannii wore the Invader Zim tank top, tight jeans, skater shoes, and she used some of the blue gel. Her hair was also black. Our hair was pretty short then, and we usually dyed it a different color every few months.

"Should we take the Jeep, or just walk?" Dannii asked.

"Walk, definitely. Nicole sounded like she invited the whole junior year, plus a couple more, so if even half of them take cars we won't be able to find a spot to park." I said.

We walked to Nicole's house, which was a bit away, but like I said, we probably wouldn't have been able to find a parking spot. Besides, everyone walks in the city. When we got there, the party was already wicked awesome. I could hear Panic! At The Disco playing over the intercom. When I talked to Nicole in English class, she said that her parents were still away at a time share in either Georgia or Florida...she didn't really care. It just mattered that they were gone, and we all had her house to ourselves.

As soon as we got into the house, Dannii and I grabbed a Mike's Hard Lemonade and split up. I immediately spotted Kae and his best friend, Clover. Nobody actually knew what his real name was. He's had that nickname since about first grade. Well anyway, they were really good friends. They were in a band together, and they were actually good. Not like most of the high school bands you listen to out of sympathy. I walked up to them and started talking.

"Hey guys! What's going on?" I yelled over the music.

"Umm, nothing much really," Kae responded, "we're actually waiting for Nicole to give us the cue. She asked our band to play up on the balcony later."

"Dude, awesome! Well, when you get up there, break a leg!" I shouted again. I started to walk away, and waved to them. I was headed towards who I thought looked like a new kid. She almost looked scared, like this was her first party in New York City. It wouldn’t have surprised me. I walked up to her and introduced myself.

"Hi," she said, in an English accent, too, "my name's Zoe. I just moved here from Bristol, England. I guess I shouldn't have come...I don't really know anyone and it doesn't seem like they want to know me."

"Eh, no biggie," I said, "you can hang out with me. And of course people will want to get to know you. Especially when they find out that you're from England!" I laughed a little bit and beckoned her to follow me. We went to look for Dannii. We found her in the kitchen, eating pizza and talking to Neill.

"Hey guys! We've been looking for you. This is Zoe. She's new." I said. They both looked at her and smiled, giving her a small wave. We ate pizza and such for a bit, just talking and asking Zoe about Bristol. It seemed really cool. I've always wanted to go to England. When I checked to see what time it was, the little microwave clock said 11:10.

"Oh damn!" Zoe complained, "I have to get home. My parents gave me a curfew of 11 since it's our first night here. I'll see you guys later!" With that, she left out the door, and we watched her get into a really nice Mercedes.

"Damn!!" I shouted over the music some more, "don't you wish we could have a car like that? I'm so jealous of her now. I'm going to go find Nicole and ask her when Kae and his band are going on!" After that I left. I fought my way through the tough crowd to find the guys. I was assuming they would relatively be in the same place that they were, but you never know when it comes to high school parties. After I checked where they were, I went up to the balcony to see if they were there. Luckily they were so I wouldn't have to search anymore. They were all setting up their equipment.

Clover played drums, Kae on bass, and I recognized Aiden as the lead singer. The keyboard player and the electric guitar kid were new, so I didn't know them.

"Hey guys! I can't wait to hear you play!" I said. Kae turned around to say thanks, but he looked really worried. I took him to the side to talk; see what was up.

"Hey, are you ok?" I asked, "you seem really worried, or something." He just shook his head, and I knew something was wrong.

"Come here, I have to tell you something." He said. He took my arm and led me into Nicole's room and closed the door. He started to talk again.

"I just got a call from my little brother. He's a sophomore, you know? Well he just told me that my parents just talked to him, and we might...move." I put my hand over my mouth and sank down to sit on Nicole's bed. He sat down beside me and kept talking, "To Colorado. We might move to Colorado. I just-don't really know what to do. And I couldn't tell the band, at least not yet, because it would just get them all hyped up before we go on, and we were going to try playing a new song we wrote over the summer."

"Man..." I said. I didn't really know what to say. "Well, I mean, it's not final yet, right? So-I just-well you can't move..." I couldn't really think of anything else to say, so I just stared at him. And he stared back at me; besides the worry in my mind, all I could think was: his beautiful blue eyes...

He suddenly surprised me a little; he started to lean into me, and then all the way. He was kissing me. I kissed him back, and locked my arms around his neck. We started kissing deeper, harder, more 'open' [if you know what I mean], when suddenly the door opened, and Aiden came into the room.

"Hey Kae, are you in here, we need to start playi-" he stopped cold and stared. Kae and I broke apart and just stared back.

Like I said, you never know when it comes to high school parties.