Playing God

Skippity

“ I Don’t want to go!” I whined at Teddy Monday morning. We were sitting in my beat up mustang in the school parking lot. The school hall monitors where watching me argue with myself. For once I’m glad for my reputation as the school’s crazy, otherwise they would have retrieved me by now.

“ You have to go. The school called Susan about all the days you missed. They are threatening to call child services.” I nodded my head in a way that showed my indifference, A big “And?” played out on my face. “ If they found out that she left you here all alone they will arrest her and put you in a home.”

That succeeded in ending my tantrum.

“ Fine!” I pouted as I existed the car and made my way into the school building. I knew I was being childish but I wasn’t ready to run into Logan just yet. I was getting used to being freaked around him. Even the idea of seeing him made my body react in a strange way.
Teddy followed silently behind me as I entered my first period geometry class. Mrs. Low didn’t even notice my late arrival, another perk of craziness. I quietly slipped into my seat and proceeded to zoon out.

“ I missed you the other night”

I screamed!

Logan was sitting in the desk right behind me. I could feel his warm breath on my neck. Mrs. Low looked at me startled by my outburst. She was in the middle of drawing a circle. I waved off the scream by playing it off as seeing a cockroach on the floor. After a minute of female hysteria the class settle back down.

“ I love the way your eyes bug out of your head when you scream. Its adorable.” Logan whispered in my ear.

“ What are you doing here?” I asked with venom.

“ What are you talking about? I’ve always been here.” I couldn’t see his face but I could hear the patronizing tone in his voice.

“ No you haven’t!” until a few days ago I never even saw this boy. How can he claim to have sat behind me for all this time?

“ Yes I have.” Now I know he’s mocking me

“ No Yo-“

“ OH! I almost forgot to take role this morning.” Mrs. Low never forgot to take role “ Here lets do it now before anymore time passes” and with that she went over to the computer and started calling out names.

“ Logan Carr?” she said with complete recognition as if she has said it a million times before.

“ Here!” Logan singed as he placed his elbow on my shoulder in a half hearted hand raise and a full-hearted mockery. I shove his elbow off my shoulder and cross my arms in front of me. I was pouting again.

“ Oooo, You’re even more delectable when you’re mad. I think I might have to steal you away from here so I can have you all to myself.” I shivered as I heard Logan’s quiet laugher behind me.

Teddy I could really use you right now!

But of course he doesn’t come. I really needed someone to distract me from the boy blowing warm breaths into my ear. I needed to get always from him. If only I had a hallucination. That thought literally never crossed my mind before but today I was willing to make and exception.
Maybe I could fake one?

Maybe but in all honestly I was a horrible actor and an even more horrible liar. Every time I ever tried to lie it ended up with me have cold sweats and the shakes. Might as well have a fever with those symptom I have. No I had to stick it out. My body tensed from the mere thought of having him sitting behind me. I’m pretty sure I didn’t breath the whole time. When the bell finally rang I practically ran from the room. I was looked back to see if he was going to follow me when I slammed into something hard.

“ We have to stop meeting like this.”

Caleb?

Sure enough I was wrapped in the arms of the boy I only meet the day before. And for the second time today I found myself asking the stupid question.

“ What are you doing here?”

“ I go here?” He laughed. “ Don’t we all?” He was right. Pretty much every kid in town went here. I pushed myself out of his arms and picked up my backpack that feel to the floor and started to walk to my next class. “ Hey wait!” he called after to me. I didn’t slow down but he caught up to me easily.

“ Look I’m sorry about that I wasn’t looking where I was going.” I said coldly.

“ Oh no don’t worry about it. I was just wondering if I could walk you to your next class.” The smile on his face was nowhere near perfect but kind in a weird way. I nod my head in agreement

“ SO?” I paused trying to think of something to say. “ Why haven’t I seen you around before?” I mental cringed as the words came out of my mouth but it was to late to take them back now.

“ That’s a good question seeing as I’ve noticed you. But if your really asking my opinion I would say its because you seem to always be looking behind you and never at what’s right in front of you”

I smiled at his response. “ Cute.”

“ Thank you.” He smiled back

“ Did you think of that all by yourself?” I couldn’t help tease him.

“ I did actually. Are you impressed?”

“ No”

“Dang” He hung his head in false disappointment.

MAX! What are you doing! Why are you flirting with him? Teddy yelled in my head! I hadn’t even realized that’s what I was doing it until he said something. Maybe I was, is that such a bad thing?

Yes !

O shut up. You’re the one who wants me to get a boy friend anyways! I didn’t hear him again after that. All to soon we made it to my next class.

“ Till next time.” Caleb said before walking back down the hall. I enter the class feeling slightly giddy for the first time in a long time. The rest of the day went by in a blur. My good mood lasted all the way up till work. I entered Louie’s with a smile that lasted no more then a second because who was the first person I saw walking in? That’s right LOGAN! I brush past him quickly but he follows after me, of course
.
“ So who’s your friend?” There was a hint of something in his voice that I couldn’t understand. His tone made me defensive.

“ Why do you care?” I asked without looking at him.

“ I don’t I’m just curious” He was trying to play it cool but I could tell it was bothering him.

“ Well then you better get used to disappointment.” A low growl broke in his throat. I turned to look at him then surprised by the sound. His eyes were black in the dim light. I back up against the wall while Logan’s presence seemed to be pressing down on me. I didn’t know what to do. Was he going to hurt me? I couldn’t tell. I tried to scream for Louie’s help but I couldn’t find my voice. Logan moved in slowly, deadly. I closed my eyes not wanting to see what comes next when all of a suddenly… I feel his lips on mine.

I opened my eyes to find myself back in my bed. My alarm read just past two a.m. Tuesday morning.