Status: complete.

Honey

December 31, 2008 (Monday)

"So, how about the Ferris wheel?" Gerard asked, dipping his head down so he could steal a bite of Frank's cotton candy.

Frank shook his head, grinning at the large piece of fluffy candy hanging loosely from Gerard's mouth. "No," he replied, laughing. "I don't think so."

"Why not?" Gerard inquired, his voice muffled as he swallowed the pink ball of fluff in his mouth. "You afraid of heights or something?"

Frank nodded shyly, his face flushing. "Yeah, I am, actually."

"I see... well, if it makes you feel any better, I won't let you fall out or anything. You're in perfectly capable hands," Gerard assured him, holding his hands out.

Frank shook his head, chuckling at Gerard's enthusiasm. He felt a pair of hands snake their way around his waist, and soon saw Gerard's head resting on his shoulder. "What's wrong with you?" He asked as Gerard begun to lead him toward the Ferris wheel.

"I'm on a mission now," Gerard stating. "You are going to conquer your fear of heights and I'm going to help you do it."

All color drained from Frank's face as he saw the monstrosity that was the Ferris wheel. He'd purposely avoided looking at it head on the entire night in hopes that Gerard would do the same. "N-no," Frank stated. "I am not getting on that thing. I can't do it."

"Sure you can," Gerard responded as they reached the line. "I'll take care of you. The Ferris wheel is the most romantic ride at the fair."

Frank turned around, the fear very relevant in his eyes. "Please, Gerard... can't we do the bumper cars or the... I don't know, the merry-go-round?"

"You guys getting on?"

Frank and Gerard's eyes darted toward the teenaged ride director. Gerard nodded, dragging Frank into the open cart.

"You're going to have to get rid of that candy," the teenager said. "It's not allowed on the ride."

Gerard took the cotton candy from Frank's hand and tossed it into the trash earning a shocked expression from Frank, who playfully swatted his shoulder. "I was gonna eat that, you know."

Gerard chuckled. "No you weren't. I was practically eating it for you," he said as he dragged Frank into the cart. The ride attendant locked them in and sent them on their way. Immediately, Frank closed his eyes and waited for it all to be over.

"I can't believe you're doing this to me," he mumbled under his breath.

Gerard wrapped an arm around Frank's shoulders. "It's perfectly fine. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. Trust me, all of this will be worth it."

Frank shook his head as the cart continued to move upward. His right leg was constantly jiggling. "You can't prevent the ride from breaking down and you can't stop this cart. We're fucking stuck on here until the ride is over."

Gerard only smiled as he pulled Frank closer to him. "You know," he said. "You're really cute when you're scared."

Frank cracked an eye open. "Are you seriously flirting with me right now?" As much as he tried, he couldn't stop the blush from rushing up his cheeks. His lips curled upward.

Gerard nodded. "Yeah. I am, actually. Is it working?"

Frank shrugged. "Oh, I don't know. I'm still a little mad at you."

"Well, in my defense," Gerard began. "I thought the Ferris wheel would be romantic, you know? The lights, the atmosphere... I figured you would warm up to the idea."

Frank's insides twisted up at the idea of Gerard trying to impress him with a romantic Ferris wheel ride. Sure, he went the wrong way about doing things since he had virtually forced Frank into the cart, but it still meant a lot. It was the thought that counted most.

"I think you're forgiven." he said.

Minutes later, the Ferris wheel continued it's ascent toward the night sky. Frank squeezed his eyes shut, convinced that if he couldn't see it, it would no longer be real. Gerard rubbed small circles into Frank's shoulder, telling him the ride should stop soon.

"How high?"

"Uh... not too high," Gerard mumbled.

Frank opened his eyes and had to stop himself before he screamed like a five-year-old girl. "We're at the fucking top, Gerard." He turned to his date with wide eyes. "I can't do this," he said. "I can't be up here."

Gerard looked down toward Frank feeling completely overtaken by guilt. "I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't realize you would be this scared."

Frank drew in a deep breath and slowly exhaled. Eliza had mentioned something about deep breathing while she was taking yoga. That was a very short lived experience considering Eliza was nowhere near graceful or flexible.

"I'll be fine," Frank whispered, his voice shaky. He was trying to convince himself more than Gerard. He opened his eyes, meeting Gerard's gaze.

"You okay?" He asked.

Frank sighed, nodding. "Yeah. As long as I don't think about how high I am, I'll be okay."

Gerard pointed off toward Frank's right. "Look at the view."

Frank's eyes followed the line of Gerard's finger. "Wow..." he mumbled. "It's beautiful."

"Yeah. I told you the ride would be worth it."

"It's not that great," Frank joked, playfully slapping Gerard's shoulder.

Gerard rubbed at his shoulder, feigning shock. "Jeez, I said I was sorry. What more do you want from me?"

"Nothing," Frank mumbled, his flushing a deep shade of pink as he turned away, looking back at the skyline.

Gerard placed a hand on his shoulder, gently forcing Frank to face him. "I really am sorry," he apologized.

Frank nodded, raising his hand so his palm was on Gerard's cheek. For a moment, he thought Frank was going to kiss him; and he was right. But, at the last minute, Frank lost his nerve and let his hand fall back to his side, his fingers ghosting over Gerard's skin.

"Like I said," Frank replied, a nervous smile playing on his lips. "You're forgiven."
♠ ♠ ♠
I kind of like this chapter. : ]
All the comments I have recieved are appreciated very much. I'm glad people like this story.