Status: complete.

Honey

January 12, 2009 (Saturday)

Frank stared down at his cellphone in disbelief as it continued to vibrate in his hand. Eliza was sitting on his living room floor flipping through the television channels in search of something decent to watch.

"Do you want to watch I Survived? It's the one where that guy gets mauled by a bear or something," Eliza suggested.

When Frank didn't respond right away she turned to face her friend. "Are you- what's wrong?"

Frank momentarily looked up from his phone. "What?"

Eliza stood up and joined Frank on the couch. "What's going on? You look a little freaked out."

Frank handed his phone to Eliza, who looked down at the missed call notification on the screen. "Josh called you?" Frank nodded. "You didn't answer it, right?"

Frank shook his head. "No. I just..."

"You just nothing, Frank," Eliza said. "You don't need Josh. He fucked you over and you're just now getting all the way over him. The only thing he's going to bring you is misery."

Frank sighed, taking the phone back from Eliza. "I wonder what he wants." He didn't bother with looking to Eliza for an answer because he already knew what her facial expression would tell him.

She scowled. "Nothing! He probably broke up with that home wrecker he cheated on you with and wants you back so he doesn't have to be alone. Josh is a Grade A asshole and that's all there is to it."

Standing up, Frank looked back down at his phone. He was completely and totally thrown. Things with Gerard had started to get really good. They had a date the next night and he was feeling really good about the potential relationship. There wasn't a label or anything, but Frank was getting the idea that he and Gerard were really going to go for it.

On the other hand, there was Josh's phone call. He had no idea what it was about, but he knew that if it was Josh's way of asking for some sort of reconciliation, he would have a hard time saying no right away. Josh was familiar. Frank knew Josh and he knew that, when things were right, they were good together.

"Don't even think about calling him, Frank," Eliza warned. "Seriously, it's not a good idea."

Frank looked at Eliza, hitting the talk button on the phone. "I have to see what he wants, okay? Trust that I won't do anything stupid, will you?"

Eliza frowned and made herself comfortable on the couch.

"Hey. I didn't think you would call me back."

Josh's voice was just as familiar as ever. As soon as he heard it over the phone, Frank could feel his legs turning into jelly.

"Yeah, I uh... I was just wondering what you wanted," Frank explained. "Eliza is over, so I can't really talk long. She still thinks you're the scum of the Earth."

Josh laughed lightly over the other line. Frank's stomach sunk a little about how easy it was for Josh to talk to him like this; as if nothing had ever happened.

"I wanted to apologize, Frankie. That guy... I don't even know what I was thinking when I hooked up with him. It was stupid and... I guess what I'm trying to say is... I miss you, Frankie."

Frank looked to Eliza, who was shaking her head. She already knew what was going on.

"You can't just expect me to forgive you right away, Josh. Saying you're sorry is nice and all, but it doesn't take back what you did. You really broke me."

Frank could see Josh sitting on the old brown couch they'd taken from his parent's basement. He could feel the memory of lying on the couch together, amongst other things. He could still remember the way Josh's arms felt as they pulled him close. It was strange, having all of these feelings rushing back to him in one swift movement.

"I understand that, Frank," Josh said, sighing. "I don't know what I should say or do to make you believe how sorry I am for fucking up the way I did. I only hope that you'll give me a chance to make it up to you."

Frank ran a hand through his hair. "I don't know, Josh." He paused, sneaking a glance at Eliza. "Things are kind of complicated right now."

"You're seeing someone?" Josh asked.

"Kind of, yeah. I mean, it's still early, but, you know. It's looking up."

"I see," Josh mumbled into the phone. Frank immediately felt bad for mentioning anything at all. "Well, can I at least meet you for lunch or something? Maybe tomorrow?"

Frank bit down on his bottom lip, unsure of what the correct answer to the problem was. When he didn't say anything, Josh took the lack of response as a no.

"You know, it's okay, Frank. I understand-"

"What time?" Frank asked. He could feel Josh smiling on the other end.

"Is noon okay?"

Frank thought about Gerard picking him up at six. "Yeah. That's fine."

As soon as the location was settled Frank hung up the phone, wondering if he was ready for what he was about to receive from Eliza.

"I can't believe this," she said. "A date?"

Frank shook his head. "It's not a date. He just wants to talk, and I feel that if I expect to receive any closure, I'm going to have to have to hear what he has to say."

"Then do that on the phone, Frank! Josh is a snake. He is going to meet you tomorrow and be charming and polite and apologetic and you are going to fall for it because you are a nice guy."

"That's not the case, Liz," Frank mumbled.

Eliza folded her arms, sitting up straight on the couch. Frank had a hard time disagreeing with her because, ultimately, he knew she was right. He just wanted to believe people could change for the better. He wanted to believe that, on some level, he and Josh could be friends.

"What is the case then, Frank?" She asked.

He shrugged. "I don't know. That's what I want to find out."

Shaking her head, Eliza against the back of the couch, closing her eyes. "You're fucking yourself over, Frank," she said. "Gerard is a great guy and you're fucking yourself over."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. I really appreciate everyone who comments. You guys seriously make my day(s) : ]