Status: complete.

Honey

February 14, 2009 (Thursday)

Frank stopped by his apartment to pick up the gorilla he'd bought Gerard for Valentines Day. All of the sudden, he was nervous. Never in his life had anybody gone through all the trouble Gerard seemed to have gone through in order to make Valentines Day so special. After all, it was only a day. Sure, it was devoted to showing someone you care about them, but it was still only twenty-four hours.

And Gerard had drawn him a map and sent him flowers. Gerard was surprising him with something that seemed to be more than a gorilla and a box of chocolates.

Suddenly, Frank felt like he hadn't done enough.

On his way out of the apartment, after he checked his reflection, Frank called Eliza. "I don't think I can go," he said, glancing down at the map. "I didn't get him anything special."

He heard something hit the ground on the other line. He assumed Eliza had dropped a can of Red Bull or a box of tampons. "What are you talking about? You have to go?"

"Yeah, but... I don't know. What if he doesn't like gorillas and chocolate? What do I do then? Stand there and look stupid while he hands me something amazing?"

Eliza sighed. "How do you know it's something amazing? I mean... maybe it's just him."

Frank looked down at the map and started west. "Well... I don't know. It's more thoughtful than a gorilla."

"I'm hanging up on you, Frank. Go find your boyfriend, hand him the monkey, and take the day as it comes. You can't wander the city thinking about how terrible things can turn out, it's too damned negative. Good luck with everything and call me when it's over."

When Eliza hung up Frank stared down at his phone, taking in the 'call ended' notification. Sighing, he shoved the phone into his pocket and followed the directions on the map. Eventually, he arrived at a small field just outside of the city. In the distance he could see a man just about Gerard's height standing next to a giant oak tree. As he approached, he received confirmation that it was, indeed, Gerard. However, he wasn't holding anything.

He'd only brought himself.

"Hey there," Gerard greeted, grinning. "I was hoping you'd be able to find me out here. I wasn't sure how accurate my map was."

Frank chuckled. "Well, stick people and arrows seemed to get the job done just fine."

Still grinning, Gerard leaned forward and pressed a kiss to Frank's lips; something he'd been wanting to do ever since he'd woken up that morning. "Happy Valentines Day," he whispered, his mouth still lingering near his boyfriend's.

"You too," Frank replied, opening his eyes so he could see Gerard properly.

The pair moved so they were sitting under the tree, leaning against its trunk. "I definitely wasn't expecting this when I woke up," Frank confessed. "When you told me you were planning something I expected dinner or... I don't know... rock climbing."

"You know I don't rock climb," Gerard pointed out.

Frank playfully slapped Gerard's shoulder. "You know what I mean. I wasn't expecting a treasure hunt is all."

Smirking, Gerard kissed Frank's cheek. "I'm glad you think of me as buried treasure."

Frank laughed, remembering his gift for Gerard. "Oh! Now... it's nothing compared to flowers and a treasure map, but I got you this." He handed Gerard the giant, stuffed, gorilla and the box of chocolates.

Gerard chuckled, placing the stuffed animal in his lap. "Now this is great. I've never in my life received a giant gorilla on Valentines Day."

Frank raised his brows. "Really? They're so popular."

Gerard shook his head. "Really. And you know how much I love chocolate..."

Frank felt a blush spread onto his cheeks as he shrugged his shoulders. "Well... yeah. I guess you could say that."

Leaning over, Gerard wrapped an arm around Frank's shoulders, pulling him close. "I love it, you know. But if you want me to be honest, you could have brought yourself and yourself alone and I would have been happy today."

Frank grinned, lifting his head so he could kiss his boyfriend. "Well, if I had done that, it seems as if I would have stolen your idea."

Gerard raised his brows. "What are you getting at?"

"Well... I found you standing here, so it seems like you've given yourself to me for Valentines Day. Am I right?"

Gerard shook his head. "Not exactly..." He stood up, bringing Frank with him. "I was gonna show you later, just before we left, but I guess doing it now wouldn't ruin anything."

Frank curiously followed Gerard to the opposite side of the tree trunk. Carved into the bark were their names and the date surrounded by a heart.

"Before you say anything, I want to give you some background. This isn't like... out of the blue or anything," Gerard explained. "When my parents had their first Valentines Day, my dad gave my mom 'a tree'. They'd been together a little longer than we have, but you know... well, that's irrelevant. My point is, my dad did it because trees seem to live forever and my dad planned on being with my mom forever because he... well, he loved her.

I know we haven't been together for all that long and I understand if you don't feel the same way or if you think this is too much too soon. I mean, I'd get it. I'm just... I'm kinda taking a risk right now. I only wanted to do something that really showed how much I care about you. I guess what I'm trying to say to you is that I think I'm kinda in love with you, Frank."
♠ ♠ ♠
Part Two. I hope you enjoyed it. : )