Status: complete.

Honey

December 11, 2008 (Wednesday)

"He called you?" Eliza asked as Frank walked into work the next day. It was Friday meaning tomorrow was Saturday. Frank smiled in that knowing way that only meant he had Eliza eating out of the palm of his hand. If he knew anything about her, it was that she loved to gossip. He approached the front counter and leaned back against the edge next to Eliza's dangling legs. Looking up, he could see the curiosity in her plain brown eyes.

"Well?" She asked, growing impatient. "Did he or didn't he?"

Frank chuckled. "What makes you think he called me? Huh? I never said he called."

Eliza's hand flew to her mouth in shock. Her eyes widened, and a squeal erupted from her vocal chords. "You called him?"

"No," Frank answered plainly. "I was just messing with you. He called me yesterday."

Eliza rolled her eyes and leaned back on her palms as she stared through the glass of the front do of the shop. It was moments like these that Frank loved most about working with his best friend. Those slow moments that consisted solely of laughter and light hearted conversation.

"What did he say?"

Frank shrugged. "Not much. We just settled on a date, time, and location. I'm supposed to meet him at the Coffee Bean tomorrow."

Eliza nodded. "You didn't mention Josh, did you?"

"No!" Frank was a little shocked that Eliza thought he would actually do something. Even though he didn't think of Gerard as anything more than a distraction, he wouldn't go as far as to tell him the complete history he shared with Josh.

"I was just asking." she explained. "I didn't think you would do that, but you know... confirmation was needed."

Frank rolled his eyes and looked down at his shoe laces. "I think he kind of likes me, Liz," he said. "Like... he's looking for something."

Eliza glanced down at Frank. "So? You should look for something, too. You never know, Gerard may be the one for you. And if he isn't... well, maybe the next guy will be."

Frank sighed and shook his head. He didn't really want to fall in love anymore. Not after everything that had gone down with Josh. The uncertainty of it all made him anxious. He wanted something solid; something that didn't make him feel like he would float away with the next cool breeze that passed him by.

"I don't want to find the one, Liz.. Don't get me wrong; I like Gerard. He's nice and he's good looking, I just can't help but to think that he wants more than just a fling. He's testing the waters right now, but I just know that in the future he's going to want commitment."

Eliza was silent for a short while. Frank stared ahead at the dozens of people crossing the streets and holding hands with their significant others. They all looked safe even though at any moment they could be hit by a car or a bus.

"See where it goes," Eliza said.

Frank met her gaze. "And then? What happens if or when drops the 'boyfriend question' or the 'L' word. What then? I tell him 'oh, sorry. I don't want that. I didn't mean to knowingly lead you on'?"

Sliding down the counter, Eliza turned to face Frank. She lifted her arms and placed them on her friend's shoulders. "No. When you think things are getting serious on his end you sit him down and tell him what you want. He'll tell you what he wants next and if you can't find a happy medium, you'll go your separate ways. No hard feelings and no broken hearts."

Frank let out a breath of air he didn't know he'd been holding in. Looking into Eliza's eyes he somehow felt confident that her suggestion would actually work. "It's that simple?" He asked.

Eliza nodded, her lips curling into a smile. "It's that simple."
♠ ♠ ♠
Can I just be something somewhere in your room, that you won't notice.