Status: complete.

Honey

December 23, 2008 (Monday)

Frank leaned over the front counter his head resting on his open palms. It was approximately five minutes before closing. Just five more minutes, and he'd be off until the twenty-seventh.

"So Frank," Eliza began as she waltzed across the store. She stopped when she reached the front desk and then hoisted herself on top. "So, my brother said that my mom said for us to show up for dinner around six? Will you be ready by five?"

Frank lifted his head, looking up at Eliza with tired eyes. "I can't," he mumbled.

"Why not?"

"I just can't."

Rolling her eyes, Eliza tapped Frank on the top of his head. Frank groaned and gathered the incentive to push himself off of the counter. He turned himself around and leaned backwards, running a hand through his uncombed hair.

"Why can't you come over for Christmas?" Eliza asked. "Ever since your parents died you've spent Christmas with us. You're practically family, Frank."

"I just... I don't feel good, okay?" Frank lowered his head and drew in a deep breath. He'd been in this funk for a few days, but it was only then that he'd let it show.

"What's going on with you?" Eliza was worried. Frank had his moody days, but it was never like this. This was different.

Frank shrugged. "I don't think I want to talk about it right now. Maybe some other time... maybe when it all blows over."

"Is it Gerard? Are things not working out?"

Frank shook his head and looked up at Eliza. It was only then that Eliza noticed the dark circles and the unmistakable frown he wore. She instinctively jumped down from the counter and took her best friends into her arms.

"Why didn't you tell me it didn't work out? Was he mean to you? I never should have set you up with him... it was too soon."

Eliza always played the mother role when it came to Frank and Boys. She was eager to get him out there, but she was always a little too overprotective. It had been that way with Josh. Eliza was so excited that Frank had gotten a serious boyfriend, but whenever things went sour she was the first person to open her mouth.

Frank pushed Eliza away and sighed. "It's not Gerard. Things are fine with him. It's something else, but I really just don't want to talk about it, okay?"

His voice was small and fragile sounding. It broke Eliza's hear to see her best friend like that. She actually hadn't seem Frank this way since he broke up with Josh. That was when it dawned on her.

"It's Josh isn't it?" She asked.

Frank dropped his gaze and folded his arms across his chest. "Just leave it alone, Liz. I'll handle it myself."

"Did he call you?"

Frank looked her in the eye and shook his head. "No. He texted me last a couple of nights ago and asked how I was doing. We talked for awhile, but that's it."

"So? What's the big deal? He doesn't want to get back together does he?"

"Not at all. He just... God can I tell you this later? I feel so god damned pathetic."

Eliza shook her head and lifted Frank's chin she he was looking directly at her once more. Her gaze was firm making it impossible for Frank to avert his eyes.

"You're not pathetic, Frank. Josh is an idiot. No matter what he says hes an idiot. I can't even believe he called you. After what he did? Gosh... he has some balls to call you."

"He didn't call, Eliza," Frank corrected.

"Same shit, Frank. Call, text... it's all the same shit. He contacted you after cheating on you with some yoga instructor and tossing you out like last weeks garbage. Joshua is a real dick and a pain in my ass, if you really want the truth. I can't believe him! Calling you like that."

Frank didn't bother with correcting her again. It didn't seem like it would make the situation worse. He valued Eliza's opinion and all, but she had a habit of making things out to be worse than they really were. Sure, this situation in particular was uncomfortable, but it wasn't as bad as she made it seem.

"He broke up with the yoga instructor, Liz."

Eliza's rolled her eyes. "And? What could he possibly want from you? Why does the yoga instructor concern you? Are you taking yoga? Last I checked, you weren't."

"He wanted to make sure I was doing alright," Frank explained. "He apologized for the everything and wanted to make sure I was... you know, alright."

"Fuck me in the ass and call me a matador! He is so full of shit, Frank!" Eliza shouted.

"Will you please stop?" Frank asked, holding his hands over his ears. "This is why I didn't want to tell you. You always do this; you bitch and moan about Josh being a dick and I never hear the end of it. I never once said I was going back to him. I just...."

Eliza's face softened. "You just what?"

Frank shrugged, fighting back tears. He wrapped his arms around himself and drew in a deep breath. "I don't know what to think. I've been wanting him to call me for so long and now that he has.... he wants to be friends, Liz."

Eliza's eyes narrowed, but she bit her tongue before she could say anything. "Do you want to be his friend, Frank?"

"I don't know," he mumbled, falling into Eliza's arms. "I love him and all, but... I don't know. I like Gerard, you know? He's such a great guy and he said he got me a Christmas present, but I didn't get him anything, and you know what he said? He said it was fine. He didn't even care."

Eliza rubbed circles into Frank's back before holding him out at arms length. "I'm not going to say anything bad about Josh. You're free to do what you want with him. Just... listen to me, okay?"

Frank nodded, wiping his eyes. Crying made him feel better. It made him feel less tired and weighed down.

"Don't jump into anything, okay? That's my advice. Things with Gerard are going good for you, and even though it's only been a little over a week I can tell he really likes you."

Frank sighed, resting his elbows on the counter. "Work is over, Liz," he said, looking over to his friend with a smile. "How about you pick me up at five and we go to your house for Christmas."

Eliza grinned and engulfed Frank in a hug. She kissed the top of his head and then his cheek. "Things will work out for you, Frank," she said. "But in the meantime, I hear my mom made you a pan of vegetarian lasagna."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, Mr. Curiosity, is it true what they've been saying about you; Are you killing me?