Status: complete.

Honey

December 23, 2008 (Monday)

"What's that?" Eliza asked as she waltzed into Frank's apartment and through the open door to his bedroom. He'd gotten halfway through packing his suitcase when she called and said she was on her way up. She already had a key so he hadn't bothered with greeting her at the front door.

Frank glanced behind his back and saw the gift Gerard had gotten for him sitting on his dresser. His cheeks went a dark shade of red as he tried to focus all his energy into the open suitcase.

Eliza ignored Frank's response -- or lack there of -- and took it upon herself to see who the gift was from.

"To: Frank, From: Santa," she read aloud. Her fingers tapped the top of the perfectly wrapped box in thought. "I wonder who Santa could be."

Frank groaned. "Gerard stopped by, okay?"

Her eyes darted towards her best friend. "He did? I was thinking it was him, but I didn't think he stopped by. Why didn't you call me?"

Frank shrugged. "You were coming over anyways. I didn't see the point."

Eliza plopped down on the floor next to Frank. "Well? What did he say?"

Frank recounted the "meeting" he'd had with Gerard only thirty or so minutes before Eliza had arrived. He left bits and pieces out, like the gift he'd gotten for Gerard and the way Gerard's hugs had a way of making his insides turn to jelly, and made sure to pause whenever Eliza felt she had to add something.

"Wow... he's kind of perfect, Frank," Eliza stated.

Frank rolled his eyes. "I barely know the guy. He was just being nice because it's Christmas and all. Besides... I don't even know if it's going to last very long."

Eliza shook her head, pushing herself to her feet. "Nope. You're in, buddy; I can see it in your eyes. It's early and all, but I think you really like him. A lot. And it's not that junior high school bullshit people get themselves into, either."

Frank didn't respond. Instead, in order to change the subject and get on the road, he shoved the rest of his clothes into his suitcase. He sat on the top and zipped it all up before looking up at Eliza and crossing his arms.

"Ready to go?"

Eliza eyed Frank carefully, decided it wasn't the time to press the subject of his relationship with Gerard, and nodded. "Yeah. I'll help you with all that crap you're taking. I don't see why you need so much stuff... we're only going to my mom's for three days."

Frank sighed. "Just take the small bag and get moving. You know I'm a paranoid packer."

Eliza silently obliged and led the way towards the front door. When she wasn't looking, Frank snatched the small gift box Gerard had given him from it's place on the dresser.

Eliza's mother's house reminded Frank of home. Essentially, it was home, but it still had that essence of the house he'd shared with his biological parents. After they'd died, Eliza's mother and father had taken him in as their own, something they'd pretty much done since the pair had become friends.

As they pulled into the driveway, Frank turned down the volume on Eliza's car stereo before her mother came out to greet them. Even at fifty-seven she had a knack for hearing cars in her driveway and she always came out to greet the company. At the moment, Frank didn't feel like hearing his second mother complain about "that racket" he and Eliza listened to.

"Frankie! Eliza!" Patricia shouted from the front porch.

Eliza turned to face Frank. "See? She even says your name before mine. She'd be devastated if you hadn't shown up for this over that dick-wad Josh."

Frank chuckled and undid his seat belt. "Hey, Patricia," he said as he got out of the car.

Patricia walked down the driveway and threw her arms around Frank once she reached the car. Frank returned the gesture and accepted the many kisses his best friend's mother left on his cheek. He grinned when she held him at arms length and asked if he'd grown at all.

"No, I think I'm going to be 5'4'' forever, Patricia," Frank replied.

"That's a shame, isn't it? But you know... it's good for catching guys. Men love the petite people." Patricia winked making Frank chuckle at the statement.

"I'd guess so."

Eliza leaned against the car. "Are you gonna come say hello to your daughter, mom, or sit around and gossip with Frank all night."

Patricia rolled her eyes. "See? That girl just craves attention. Her whole life she's been looking for that spotlight. I swear..."

Frank watched as Patricia hugged her daughter and asked the mandatory boy questions that came up each year. He was, however, glad that Eliza failed to mention Gerard. He wasn't quite ready to talk to Patricia about that just yet.

A few minutes later the three of them walked towards the house, deciding that the luggage could wait until after dinner. Frank and Eliza were starved and vegetarian lasagna was beginning to sound even more delicious than usual.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the wait. : ]