Status: Active

Slytherin's Mistake

Cherish

"Incendio," I murmured, pointing my wand at the small pile of branches I had gathered up. It roared to life, with the crisp crackles and pops I had loved ever since I could remember. I looked over my shoulder at Draco and smiled. He smiled back at me. His whole posture oozed of comfort and ease. Both of his hands were behind his head, his lanky frame stretched out, while the blanket covered him from the waist down.

I laid back against him, and he wrapped his arm around me. I watched the fire, feeling at peace with everything. The night was not chilly; I had simply done it because I liked fires. Draco stroked lightly at my back, relaxing me further. Closing my weary eyes, I slowly began to drift off.

"Myrie?" Draco's thoughtful voice cause me to open my eyes and look up at him.

"What is it, Draco?" I asked quietly.

"What do you do when you have everything?"

The question threw me off guard. I furrowed my eyesbrows, and answered slowly. "You cherish it, I suppose. Why do you ask?"

I had begun to thought he wasn't going to answer, when he softly answered, "I'm worried that because I have everything I could ever need or want, that I'm going to lose it all. Including you."

I lay there, speechless. What could I say? He knew, I was sure, that I wouldn't leave him, but nothing could stop death, or rather, our practice in being part of the death eaters.

"I mean," he continued. "I've always gotten everything materialistic that I'd ever wanted or needed. Grew up with alright parents, a nice home, and things. Did that benefit my personality and make me generous, and want to share? No. Quite the contrary. I know I'm not that great of a person. I've come to terms with that. Maybe I would feel better if I was with someone that was on my level. But you are not on my level. So who says I won't get my payback for all the horrible things I've said and done in losing the one thing I care about? I could lose my family's wealth, our status, and all, but that could eventually be fixed. If I lost you, it'd be forever."

Choosing my words carefully, I sat up and looked at him. "That's life, Draco. I mean, no one really deserves anything. We're all pretty horrible creatures when it comes down to it. Yes," I cut him off when he opened his mouth, "some are definitely worse than others. I'm not on any level higher than yours, love. I've done my share of things that I think can be accounted for a higher degree of bad, seeing as how I scarred my mother emotionally in ways that even torturing couldn't do. I really could die at any moment, but so could you. Our hearts could just stop. A blood vessel in my brain could burst. I could have a seizure like my mother. When you love someone, or anything, you cherish and take care of it," I spoke softer, looking at him lovingly. "You make sure that you're doing right, because you never know when your last moment can come."

He sat up, and caressed my cheek. "Would you be satisfied if this was your last moment?"

I nodded, my voice catching in my throat. "I would. With you, I would."

Tenderly, he drew my face to his and kissed with such feeling, I felt like I was a complete extension of him, could feel what he felt, and see what he saw. In his arms, everything I had always looked for.

I held him close to me, running my hands through his hair. Draco began to press me back onto the blanket, kissing his way down my neck. His weight was comfortable and right. It just felt so right. The way he kissed me, held me, and being a part of each other; it all was right.

Helping him remove the clothes I had put back on to gather up the firewood, I couldn't help the little moans that would escape my mouth when he would intentionally move against me to get a response from my body. Like all else I couldn't control, I couldn't supress a wild rush of happiness when he looked down at my body with a sense of wonder in his eyes. I had never felt cherished before, yet he did it without words.

As he entered me for the second time tonight, I kissed him deeply, before whispering against his lips. "I love you, Draco Malfoy."

His answer stunned me, but it fit so well. "I love you too, Myra Malfoy."