Status: Active

Slytherin's Mistake

Hot Chocolate Substitutes

"I told you so." Draco said, sipping his orange juice calmly. I sneered at him, and tried desperately to keep my eyes open. "But, no. Myra will not listen. Myra assumes she is right about all things, and would rather die than not be right."

"If you do not shut the fuck up, I'm going to hex you." I hissed, my voice low to where only he would hear. I was not in the mood, and he knew it. He merely smirked, and I rested my head on the table. Seven o'clock had come much too early, and I had dragged myself around ever since, while Alan and Draco were just as chipper as they could be.

Bloody bastards.

"Morning Malfoy." Blaise paused. "What's wrong with your girlfriend?"

"There was a pea under her mattress and she just had a terrible night sleeping." Draco replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

I lifted my head to glare at him. "Screw off, Draco. I'm not in the mood."

"That's what she always said to me, too." Blaise replied smoothly.

Quick as a flash, I drew my wand. "Silencio. Would you care to try my patience AGAIN, Draco?"

He snorted into his orange juice, shaking his head. I cursed under my breath, while Blaise flipped me off. "NO, Blaise, for the last time, NO."

"I am surprised you 'ave managed any offers, Birnbaum." came the annoyingly smug voice of Desiree.

"I'm sorry," I began, my tone contradicting my words. "that is surprises you. I am, in fact, surprised you haven't been shacked up with a baby by how many blokes have had a lay with you!"

Her cheeks flushed angrily, as Draco burst into laughter, with Crabbe and Goyle following soon after. Draco drew me close, and kissed the top of my head.

"You're so funny when you're angry. It's kind of cute, really." he murmured, as I felt the smirk in my hair.

"Cute my arse." I grumbled, grabbing some bacon and toast to put on my plate. I drank my hot chocolate and gave a happy sigh.

"Will you be reasonable any time soon?" Draco asked. I nodded, taking another sip. I did not like coffee, so I used hot chocolate as my substitute. "Good."

"Like you haven't seen me in worse moods." I replied, taking a bite of bacon.

He smirked and nodded. "True."

The owls came in giant swoops of the usual couple hundred and Catterwaul landed on my shoulder. I stroked his feathers gently, and he nipped at my hair, before flying away. I never really received letters when I was in Hogwarts, anymore. Mother had gotten him for me as my present for Hogwarts, as I had already had Razz since I was eight. I frowned dramatically, and I felt my mood drop. I had forgotten her birthday yesterday...

The air was thick with excitement and I turned my head this way and that, trying to absorb every detail. Mum stood in front of me a smile on her face, holding Catterwaul in his cage, while I held Razz's cat carrier. The trunk had already been loaded in.

"It's been too long. I'm getting so old." she laughed.

"You're not old, Mum. You're only 34 today." I said scoldingly.

She shrugged, the smile still on her face. "Ahh well. It's good to be older. I do miss Hogwarts, though..." her attention refocused on me. "Don't worry about what House you're in, sweetie. Let the Sorting Hat do all the work."

"But, I want to be in Gryffindor like you." I said, a frown setting upon my lips.

"Your dad was in Slytherin, and so was Auntie Kathleena and your grandmothers." she reminded quietly.

"Yeah, but I'm like you. I'm your double." I said defiantly, and it was true. You couldn't tell the photographs apart if you put her pictures and mine together. We had the same face, body shape, and hair. All but our eyes, as hers were green with a few speckles of brown, and mine were blue, though they did change color.

She rolled her eyes. "Okay, Myra, you're right, I'm wrong!"

We had started to laugh, when the whistle blew. Kids scrambled in the train, and parents began waving goodbye.

Her eyes began teary and she pulled me into a hug. "I'll write you everyday."

"Promise?" I asked, tears catching in my throat, my voice small.

"Promise. I love you."

"I love you too."

"Have a good year. Make lots of friends. Don't spend all your time in the library. Do your work, Myra!" she called, her voice becoming slightly stern as I got on the train. I waved as the train picked up speed and she waved frantically. I kept waving until I couldn't see her, and I had to swallow the lump in my throat. I had never been without my mother for nine months before...


The tap on my shoulder made my notice Professor Snape sneering down at me. I held the expression on my face, as to disguise my utter loathing for the man. Ever since first year, he had hated me. I had done nothing to him, yet he picked on me as much as he did to Harry.

"Ms. Birnbaum, your schedule." he said, his voice greasy as his hair.

"Thank you." I replied politely, and he moved on to the students down the table.

Draco peered at my schedule. "The only thing we don't have together is Care of Magical Creatures. I will never understand why you CHOSE to keep getting taught by that oaf Hagrid..."

"He is not an oaf, Draco." I retorted tersely. He shrugged and the bell rang loudly. I sighed. "Off to Charms, I suppose."

I slung my bag over my shoulder and downed the last of my hot chocolate, before grabbing Draco's hand, lacing his fingers through mine. I gave him a smile, and hoped it would be a good first day back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aaahhhh, may I say, to Desiree after Myra's comment... "BURN!!!!"

Comments and Subscriptions are always welcomed. *winks*