Status: Active

Slytherin's Mistake

Closer

"Behave," David said sternly.

I nodded. "I will."

He gave me a half hug, and I apparated out of the house. I fell to the gravel, gasping for air, and dizzy.

"Clumsy," a familiar voice intreated lazily. I looked up, and couldn't repress a smile. Draco smiled back, his white blonde hair a mighty contrast with the sunset. He stood up off of a bench,and stretched out a hand. I took it gratefully, and hugged him tight. I sighed happily, feeling the warm sense of security I always felt in his arms. He looked down at me, and tsked.

"You'd think, at seventeen, you would be at least over five feet tall," he chuckled.

Scowling, "Shut it. I get extra attention being so short. I get helped to reach shelves, books in the library, people call me adorable..."

"It's because they feel sorry for you."

Pulling away from him, I smacked his chest. He just laughed, and we began to walk up the pathway to his manor.

"You look tired." I commented. He gave a slight grimace. I nodded, understanding everything. Death Eater business. I hated it, but he did too. Unless I wanted him dead, I kept my opinions to myself.

"Are you okay? Really, Myrie." He looked down at me concerned. I smiled at the nickname.

"Draco, I'm fine. I've just been feeling weird. You know how I get." I said, quietly. It was his turn to nod. He knew my whole family history; my dead mother, my father in Azkaban, and having to live with my mother's brother, and family.

We had finally reached the manor, and he opened the door for me. I always had to marvel at the elegance of their home. Years ago, the pale faced portraits scared me, but I was used to them now.

"Is anyone here?" I asked him.

He shook his head, "No. Mother sends her apologies, as does Father."

"Right. Because your father totally thinks of me as the daughter he never had." I snorted.

"Well, my mother thinks that. You do like the part, " I nodded in agreement. Blonde hair, blue-gray eyes, and slender,"I don't know what his problem is with you. Your father and him were good pals, before Azkaban."

"Hmph." I made my way up the staircase, and took the familiar turn to Draco's bedroom. Decked in Slytherin colors, with black furniture, I sat on his bed. In a cage, his albino python curled up on a rock and winked at me. I winked back, and Draco rolled his eyes.

"You would think you'd have known you were a parselmouth before you met Cassius." Draco said scornfully.

"You're just jealous because he likes me best." I laughed. He ruffled my hair, and lay down next to me. I ran my finger gently over the dark circles under his eyes. He grabbed my hand and held it there.

"I'm fine." he said softly.

I smiled back half heartedly."I just worry about you."

"Same here." He stared at me and I felt that flutter in my stomach. Draco had never been just a friend to me; he had always been so much more.

A sharp peck at the window broke the moment, and I glanced over. I smiled confusedly.
"Hedwig?" I walked over and let her in. Hooting happily, she stuck out her leg. I relieved her of the letter, and she took off again. I stared curiously at the letter.

"Potter?" Draco sneered. I gave him a stern look. I read the letter quickly.

"Hmmm..." I mused, folding it back up.

"What?" He asked sharply.

"They want to meet me in Diagon Alley tomorrow, for supplies." I told him, putting the letter on the desk. Draco pouted slightly, with a bitter expression.

"You and I were supposed to go to Diagon Alley."

"I know, Draco. They are my friends too, you know," I sighed, "I wish you would stop looking at me like that."

"They always do this."

"I know, I know. I'll just tell them no." I walked to the guest room to see if Catterwaul was in his cage. No such luck. Razz was curled up asleep on the bed. I shook my head, and began to unpack my clothes from my trunk. Draco leaned in the doorway, watching.

"Have enough t-shirts?"

I ignored him, putting everything away. I set my photo album on the nightstand, and stepped into the bathroom with a oversized t-shirt and boxers. I started to shut the door, but he had put his hand out. I gave him a look, and began to undress anyway.

"I love that you don't even care if I see you change." He smirked.

"It's nothing you haven't seen before," I mumbled, pulling my shirt over my head. He nodded, looking contemplative.

I walked back to the bed, and plopped down on it. Running my hands through my slightly shorter than shoulder length hair, I pulled it back. He stood staring at me.

I looked at him quizzically. "What?"

He said nothing, but came over and sat beside me. He brushed his hand over my neck, and I felt my heart catch in my throat.

It took me a minute to speak. "What are you doing?"

"I've missed you."

"I've missed you, too."

"You know..." he paused. "Since... well, I...."

I frowned, confused. He never sounded like this.

"I know you've seen me with a lot of girls..." I stiffened at the thought. All the times I'd had to tag along while he snogged with other girls, and I sat trying not to show how much it hurt. Of course, I'd tried dating, a couple times. Blaise had been the only one who had lasted a while, but he had cheated on me. After that, I didn't feel up to the hurt, or pretending to like other guys.

He suddenly looked me straight in the eyes. "I've always fancied you. Ever since we met. I just... I didn't want to mess this up. You're actually the only I trust. If something happened to us, I didn't want this to go away. I love how close we are... but, I still want to be, "he paused, leaning in, "closer.