Status: Active

Slytherin's Mistake

Quidditch Brawls

Atleast I don't have stage fright, I thought looking around the quidditch pitch. Besides the fifty quidditch hopefuls trying out and the rest of the Slytherin house watching, groups of Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Gryffindor had come as well. To scope out the good players from the bad, see our weak spots and flaws, and to jeer whenever the publicly hated Slytherins crashed.

All in all, it was a lot of pressure.

Draco sighed and I looked up at him. "This is going to take all bloody morning," he sighed again, running his hand through his hair. "I'm going to go tell off the first years."

I nodded and he gave me a slight frown, before setting off toward the group of first years. I smiled grimly, glad that I wasn't one of the group. Alan had been smart enough to listen when I told him to just watch. He was currently in the stands chattering away at one of his friends. I smiled, and scanned the crowd for another familiar face.

Hermione's huge wave caught my attention, and I laughed, waving back. She nudged Ron and Harry from watching the field, and they waved back. I shook my head, smiling. I knew they all came to support me, but I knew just as well that Harry and Ron were definitely here to see our weaknesses.

" 'Ow touching. Waving at your pathetic leetle friends."

I turned around to retort viciously, when I let out an alarmed shout.

She was holding a broomstick.

"You are NOT trying out!"

Desiree grinned nastily. "Oh, but I am. Keeper, too."

I swore loudly, and stalked off to find Draco. It took me a bit, simply because people kept wishing me luck about getting the spot, and telling me to make sure that we won. If I had been little, I would have been incredibly intimidated, but I was used to it. Slytherins aren't exactly bubbly about telling you stuff like that.

When I finally found him, he was standing around lazily with Crabbe and Goyle, talking amicably. He had started to laugh at something, until he saw my face and it stopped abruptly.

"You cannot possibly let her try out!" I hissed.

"Myrie-"

"NO! She wants to take my spot on the team!"

"MYRA! I have to let her try out. I have to be fair." Draco said, pinching the bridge of his nose.

I sneered. "Who are you and what have you done with Draco Malfoy? Fair? Fair my arse."

He lowered his hand and raised an eyebrow coldly at me. "Go sit down. I'm about to start."

I huffed angrily and made my way to the stands, sitting down irritably. Word seemed to spread and the rest of the quidditch hopefuls sat down as well. Blaise just happened to saunter over to where I was sitting, with my chin in my hand, scowling at everything.

"It's too bad," he drawled. "That you're losing your spot."

I raised an eyebrow and glowered at him. "It's too bad that if you don't shut it, you're going to lose your spot."

He blanched, and immediately looked away. I smirked a bit, and noticed Draco taking center pitch, looking aloof and very handsome. As always, but still.

"Before we begin, I would like to remind the first years," he began, glaring up into the stands, "that they can try out next year, and not to bother me anymore. And, that my authority as captain will not be questioned when I name positions. If I say, name Keeper to," his gray eyes met mine and his smirk slipped a little revealing a smile underneath; I grinned back. "Myra Birnbaum," he paused once more when cheers erupted; I blushed and ducked down, knowing half of the volume was from Hermione, "then that's final. No questions, or I will hex you. No foul play and no sabotage, unless I just think it's funny. Now, split into groups of 5 and I'll start you off by seeing you you fly."

He blew the whistle and I stood, glancing down the row. Blaise didn't move from my side, and I didn't expect him to; he was one of our best Chasers. Crabbe and Goyle came over to stand with us, and I was scanning for a twitchy second year to grab, when Desiree walked over.

"Look what the wind blew in." I muttered, and Crabbe, Goyle, and Blaise snickered. She really did look ridiculous; most of us were just in trainers, jeans, and regular t-shirts, but she had gone all out: riding boots up to her knees, fancy looking pants, a tacky olive green jacket, and a low cut white camisole underneath. I raised my voice. "This is a quidditch trial, Prince, not a lingerie shoot."

She looked me up and down, a pleased smirk on her face. "I'd rather be under dressed than frumpy like you."

My eyebrows shot up immediately. "Frumpy? I'm wearing a bloody Slytherin shirt, trainers, and jeans. What you're supposed to wear, you daft French twit."

She opened her mouth, and the whistle blew. We all turned to see Draco twirling it nonchalantly. "Am I going to have to remove you two?"

"Yes, pleeze!" Desiree exclaimed, sounding more stupid as she exaggerated her accent.

"Alright then. Go over to..." he scanned the groups, and suddenly grinned. "Team 4. That one should be up to your level."

When we saw which one he had pointed out, we all began howling with laughter. Second years, with knobby knees and frightened looks. She rounded on him, outraged.

"Excuse moi!"

"What's that? Sorry, I don't much understand French. Run along then."

She stomped off to the group, while I wiped tears of laughter off my face. I threw my arms around him, and kissed him soundly.

_________________

"Hermione," I croaked, my head rested on her shoulder. "How long have we been here?"

"Two and a half hours." she replied wearily.

"I don't know what you two are complaining about. This is highly interesting." Ron said, leaning forward. Harry nodded vigorously, not even bothering to look our way.

"You only think it's interesting because you're spying on their routine, Ron." Hermione snapped.

He shrugged. "All's fair in love and war."

I snorted. "Like you would have said that a year ago."

He opened his mouth to answer when I heard: "MYRA! KEEPER TRYOUTS!"

I jumped up nervously. "Oh Merlin. He's going to murder me."

Racing down the steps, I threw myself forward and almost tripped the last step, but arrived in front of Draco, Desiree, and two other blokes in no amount of time. He crossed his arms, glaring at me.

"Sorry." I muttered.

He rolled his eyes, shaking his head. "Who's going first?"

"Moi." Desiree said pompously. He rolled his eyes once more, and simply pointed towards the goals. She flew up, and Blaise was already in the air, tossing the quaffle up in the air to himself.

"Now Blaise!" Draco called, before muttering. "Even if she saved every goal, I still wouldn't have her on the team. Bloody annoying."

I grinned. "Good."

We watched her, and I grudgingly had to admit to myself she was good. She was lithe, and her long arms seemed to know exactly where the ball was heading. I ground my heel into the dirt, thinking darkly, She's probably better than me.

When she saved every penalty, (and I only knew from the eruption of cheers at each save), flying down smiling smugly, I wanted to bash her face in. She shook out her hair, and grinned.

Draco barely hid his sneer. "Right. Next."

The two boys, Braddock and Pritchard went next each saving only two a piece. I sighed and got on my broom, flying up quickly to the goals. I positioned myself in center ring, watching Blaise closely. He simply smirked back, before darting quickly to the right. Knowing he was feinting, I followed closely reaching out to catch the quaffle as he suddenly threw it to the left.

I grinned when the crowd cheered, and felt the familiar swooping sensation in my stomach. I loved doing this, and I loved the crowd. Adrenaline rushing through my veins, I easily caught Blaise's next attempt, when he tried to throw it over my head. The next two were even easier, and I had a shrewd idea he wasn't trying very hard, until he underhandedly threw it to the left, and I panicked flying quickly to catch it.

I reached out, grasping it by the tips of my fingers, when I leaned forward too much. I let out a small shriek when my other hand slipped and suddenly the world was spinning upside down and the only thing keeping me from a fifty foot drop were my legs tightly wrapped around the broom.

The wind whistled through my ears, and I was only vaguely aware of shouts in the distance. Dropping the quaffle, I carefully pulled myself up. My heart was beating so fast, I could feel it in my fingertips. I rested my head on my hands, before wiping the sweat from my forehead.

I flew down slowly, and got off shakily. Draco looked shaken up and paler than usual. He grabbed me up into a tight hug, whispering, "You're alright?" I nodded. "Good. You know I would have caught, you right?" Another nod. He kissed my forehead and let me go. He turned to the waiting Desiree. "Myra's got the spot."

"What?! I saved all five penalties!" she yelled, looking furious.

"Yes, well, I'm captain, and she saved all five penalties and was on the team last year. Sorry." he said, sounding not sorry at all.

"Oooooh!" she growled, stomping off. I smiled. Ha, I thought.

"Great save, Myra."

We turned to see Harry walking towards us with an easy grin on his face.

"Th-thanks, Harry. Though I did almost fall off." I said, laughing slightly. I felt Draco tense beside me.

"I would have caught you." Harry said lazily, winking at me. His gaze slowly left mine to Draco's to whom he impishly smiled. I stared at him, my eyes widening. Was he trying to get killed? Harry chuckled. "It's too bad you weren't in Gryffindor. It'd be a real change for you to actually win a game. You're too talented for Slytherin; you're even better than your own captain."

"I could fly circles around you, Potter." Draco spat. A small circle was gathering around us; all the rejected players, and bystanders had come to watch the two well known enemies. Blaise, Crabbe, and Goyle had come to stand behind Draco, while I could see Ron distantly shouting at people to move.

"Right. That's why your Daddy had to buy your way on the team." Harry said laughing viciously.

Draco took a threatening step forward, pushing past me. "Watch your mouth, Potter."

"Or what?" Harry pushed Draco lightly.

"I'll shut it for you." Draco growled pushing back harder.

"Spoiled git." Harry said.

"Scarhead prat."

"Stop it, you two!" I yelled, moving closer.

"Stay out of this!" They yelled at me, before glowering at each other.

"Jealous, Malfoy?" Harry taunted.

"Oh, why don't you just go cry over your STUPID-MUDBLOOD-MOTHER!" Draco bellowed.

Gasps came from all around, though I was sure mine was loudest. I stared speechless in my fury. It was no surprise when Harry's jaw crashed into Draco's jaw, and it was even less surprising when it turned into an all out brawl.

"You two QUIT IT!" I shouted pushing towards them, when I felt a crack. I screamed, covering my nose with my hands. I lowered my hands and they were soaked in blood. I began to sway dizzily and everything became black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, I want your opinion if you think this would be a better banner or if you like the original banner better. Much appreciated. :)

I SUCK. I am SO SO SO SO SORRY for the delay. I had this whole chapter typed out, went to post it, and it took me back to login, and I lost it all. Then I got so mad, I grudgingly began writing again. And, I will be on Thanksgiving Break visiting my family in Missouri, and without computer access, but I promise to come up with some good chapters when I get back. :)