Status: Active

Slytherin's Mistake

Too Late

Harry sat on Ron's bed, glancing and the window every now and then, waiting for Hedwig. Ron was ruffling through his trunk, while Hermione poured over a new text book. Harry's thoughts wandered to Myra, wondering where she was, and what she was doing. She had told him she was going to Malfoy's, but he hoped her guardians kept her away. Sooner or later, he knew, she would, but for now, he didn't complain at the distance. While they four had been here, it had been such fun. Playing Quidditch, joking about Ron and Hermione, complaining about their home situations, he couldn't help but slowly show her how he felt. She didn't seem to get the hint, though... he sighed audibly.

"Harry, stop it." Hermione said, without looking up from her book.

"Stop what?" Harry asked, irritably.

"She's at Malfoy's. Give her a little bit to reply."

Ron chucked, "She's right, you know."

"It was a simple question!" He said, exasperated.

Giving Harry a sharp glance, "She spent half the summer here, and you're already asking her to come back."

Mumbling, Harry looked down, "I just wanted her to go with us."

Setting down her book, she adopted her matter of fact tone, "You wanted her to go with YOU."

Harry's head shot up, and caught a glance between Ron and Hermione.

She sighed, "Harry. It's completely see through. You fancy her. You have since Cho, and she's oblivious."

His jaw dropped, "Is it that obvious?"

Grabbing an apple off the nightstand, Ron spoke after taking a chomp, "Quite, mate."

Harry folded his arms across his chest stubbornly. "How?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "The way you look at her, for one. Not to mention how you constantly try to get her attention. You hug her every chance you get, and you've mentioned her every hour since breakfast!"

Ron nodded. "Right. You also said her name in your sleep."

He glared at him. "I did not."

"Did so. Why haven't you made a move yet?" Ron asked, bluntly.

"She's... intimidating." he admitted.

Ron nodded understandingly, "She isn't shab-" he cut off at the look Hermione was giving him, "I mean, if you like short girls," he blustered. Hermione laughed and kissed his cheek.

"It's alright, Ron, I know she's pretty."

Smiling weakly, he changed subject. "It can't be that difficult."

Harry shrugged. "I dunno. How long did it take you and Hermione to get together?"

Hermione laughed, as Ron's blush grew pronounced.

She smiled, shaking her head, "That's not the point."

"Well, I mean, how am I supposed to tell her how I feel when I have nothing to go on? She probably hasn't told anyone." Harry stared out the window, speaking slowly.

"Mione!" Ron shouted, scoldingly. Harry immediately looked at her. She blushed, looking down.

Raising her hands in the air in defense, "It isn't my business to tell!"

"Out with it!"

She began hesitantly, staring at her hands all the while. "Myra's only told me about one person, "she looked up at Harry, apologetic, "and that's Malfoy."

Shocked, Harry said quickly, "But, what about all the other blokes she's dated?"

"Right! Davies-" Ron began.

"A week." Hermione interjected.

"Fred! Back in 5th year!" Harry exclaimed.

"Two weeks."

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Everything was still, when Ron crowed, "Zabini!"

Harry jumped in, "Yeah! They lasted a while!"

Hermione nodded. "True. They lasted for at least 2 months last year, "she paused, "before she caught him snogging a 7th year girl."

"What a prat." Ron said, scathingly. Harry nodded in earnest.

"Yes, he is a prat, but she only dated him to make Draco jealous." she casually responded.

"Like you did with McLaggen." Harry clarified.

Hermione gave him a wide eyed glance, but Ron started in on her.

"I knew it! I knew you went with him to annoy me!" He snapped.

She sighed. "I was jealous."

He opened his mouth to start again, but Harry cut him off.

"Anyways, I just thought... that she was shy, or something."

"Harry, has she ever really been shy?" she asked, sympathetically.

"Not... not really."

"Then, why...?"

"I need hope, alright?" He said bitterly.

A peck at the window caused their conversation to drop. Jumping up to open it, Harry petted Hedwig. She looked worn, but happy. Hooting at him, she stuck out her leg.

"There's two letters." He handed one to Hermione, and read his own.

"Dear Harry,
I'm sorry, but I've already promised Draco we would go together. I hope you aren't upset with me. We'll spend time together once we're back at Hogwarts. Our last year will be fantastic, Harry, I just know it!
Love,
Myra"

"She's not coming." He muttered quietly, folding the letter back up. Harry glanced over to see them reading Hermione's letter grimly. They finished it, and looked at him. Smiling sadly, she handed him the letter.

"Hermione,
I'm writing with a shaky hand, so excuse my handwriting.
It's finally happened. After 3 years of fancying him, he finally told me he cared for me, too.
I can't describe everything right now, because he'll be right back, but I just wanted you to know. I'm so happy, Hermione. Words fail me. I'll tell all when school starts.
All my love,
Myra"

Sitting on the bed, Harry felt something inside slowly breaking. The sunshine shone in through the window in earnest, and Hedwig hooted. Fred, George, and Ginny laughed at something downstairs. Everything that was so great earlier, felt cold. Ron and Hermione stared at him nervously. He glanced up, put on a smile.

"She's happy. That's great." The words sounded hollow, even in his own ears.

"Harry, I'm so sorry-"

"Forget it. It's nothing," picking up a book at random, he flipped violently through the pages, "I guess I was 3 years too late."
♠ ♠ ♠
Give me feedback, please. :)