Status: Active

Slytherin's Mistake

Head of the Family

I scowled, staring at the paper. Scribbling furiously, I was splotching more ink off the paper, than on.

"No, that is not it..." I muttered. I struggled over my Transfiguration work. Draco had already finished his, and I heavily suspected him of cheating. I had waved him off sourly when he suggested Quidditch, and he left with a raised eyebrow and stiff posture.

McGonagall wanted to know the precise incantation to turn a stone dragon into a live one that will breathe fire, and why. It was on the edge of my memory. She had just taught us this at the very end of last year. Frustrated, I threw my quill down. Transfiguration was a strong suit of mine, but for some reason, I could not concentrate. Pursing my lips, I knew I had to let go of my pride and ask Draco.

Stretching, I looked out the window. He wasn't outside. I frowned, and thought of the other places he would be. His room was a possibility. I pushed back the wooden chair, and walked to his room. I ducked my head inside. No Draco.

I set out for the kitchen, knowing his appetite. We used to have competitions of who could eat more, when we were little. I beat him once. I smiled at the thought, and took the stairs two at a time. I skidded to a stop at a smiling Narcissa.

"Hello, Mrs. Malfoy," I murmured shyly.

She smiled scoldingly. "You know to call me Narcissa."

"Old habits die hard." I replied, with a smile.

"Yes, yes they do," she paused, her smile dimming slightly. "Would you mind having a chat with me? It won't take long."

"S-sure." I stuttered, before clearing my throat. I followed her into the parlor. I sat down the seat nearest me, and she sat across. "Is there something wrong?"

"No, dear. Nothing's wrong. I just wanted to discuss your's and Draco's relationship." She folded her hands in front of her, and I noticed how much she and her son looked alike.

"Our relationship?" I asked.

"Yes," she paused, and her words came slowly. "It seems you two are finally together, and as happy as that makes me, I hope you know what position this puts you in."

I bit my bottom lip slightly. "What position is that exactly?"

Narcissa leaned forward, imploringly. "Myra, you are a clever girl. By being with Draco, you are opening yourself up to a world you wish you had never known."

I chose my words carefully. "But, you are happy with Lucius..."

She nodded. "Extremely, but," her voice became a hiss," this is not the life I would have chosen for my family. Lucius and Draco are constantly in danger, and we are all at mercy of the Dark Lord. We are looked down upon of society, and for what? Power, greed, and arrogance. Draco and Lucius are the two people I would sacrifice everything for, and I have to watch them become shadows of themselves..." she trailed off, looking down at her hands.

We sat in silence, before she looked up at me. I knew she was sharing this with only me, and I felt grateful, but scared.

"Narcissa, I don't know what to do. I- I love Draco. I couldn't just leave him. Not to mention my own father is a Death Eater. I can't run." My voice had slipped to a whisper. I covered my face with my hand.

I felt her hand on top of mine, and a pitying look was upon her face. "What do you plan to do? If the Dark Lord asked your allegiance, would you give it? Because, he very well will ask, if you stick around, Myra. You are not aware of your background. He has his sights set on you."

"I am aware of my heritage and the Dark Lord's." I spoke quietly.

Her eyes widened and locked on mine. Her voice was a whisper. "You know?"

I nodded. "I have no choice, but to give my allegiance to the Dark Lord's. He knows of mine and Draco's relationship. He would kill him, and all whom I hold dear. Or, he would use me against Draco."

Her lips became pursed, and she looked around, before leaning in. "If I could hide us all, I would. You know that, don't you? I don't care for the Dark Lord's mania, anymore."

I grasped her hand. "I know, Narcissa."

She smiled warmly at me, her eyes slightly sad."You are like the daughter I never had, Myra. It has made me very happy to know you are with my son. He could not have made a better choice. I just hate to see what our lives have come to."

My eyes filled with tears at the blessing. "You have been so good to me, Narcissa. I will try my best to make him happy."

Patting my hand, she replied. "You already do, dear."

We sat there for a moment longer, before she withdrew her hand and stood. "If you were looking for Draco, he is in the kitchen," she had reached the door, before she looked over, curiously. "What exactly were you doing before hand?"

"Transfiguration work. I need Draco's help for an essay." I told her, sheepishly. "McGonagall wants to know what the incantation for turning a stone dragon into a live on that breathes fire is."

She smiled, before leaving the room. "Draconifors."