‹ Prequel: Break Down These Walls
Sequel: Now and Forever.
Status: finished : )

Safe Ride Home

You changed me for the good

I drove all the way to the Dallas Airport with my stomach in butterflies. Today was a little easier to push Alex to the side since my boys were coming home. I did imagine a scenario where I was in the Baltimore Airport instead of Dallas, waiting for him to step off that plan and wrap me in his arms again. Then I almost ran a red light so I had to focus on what was ahead of me.

I entered the airport I’d arrived in just two months before and navigated my way to their gate. I was still thirty minutes early and the flight had a fifteen minute delay. I fidgeted in my chair for the longest time. I couldn’t eat anything for fear of vomiting it all back up, and coffee was out of the question. My nerves were already on fire.

There was an older man set up in the corner of the main plaza in the airport. He had a small stage, a laptop hooked up to the speakers, and a microphone. I smiled as I listened to him sing a bunch of old blues songs. It was comforting in a strange way. My phone did eventually buzz, signaling that the airplane was unloading and Jonathan had sent me a text asking where I was.

I stood up and glanced around. Kyle stuck out, of course, with his extra height and platinum blonde hair. I jogged over and tackled him first from behind. He laughed.

“I missed you too, Dell.” Kyle turned over and wrapped his arms around me. “Though honestly, I was expecting you to attack from the front, for once.”

I giggled and jumped up, throwing myself at Mark next. The fight not to cry started as I continued to hug all of them. Jonathan was last, and he finally got a tear out of me. He wiped it away as we broke apart though and told me I looked good.

I rolled my eyes and opened my mouth to spit out a sarcastic remark when someone cleared their throat from behind me. “What, no hug for me? That’s just freaking cruel Delly.” I spun around and widened my eyes.

“Kenny!” I squealed and threw my arms around his neck as he dropped his bag by our feet. It wasn’t that I had missed Kennedy more than the others, but that I was more surprised to see him. It took a few minutes before I could let him go and make full sentences. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“It’s an interesting story, you know.” He chuckled and glanced at the guys. They were all grinning oddly.

“We’re going to grab our stuff from baggage claim while you talk.” Jonathan kissed my cheek and then steered the guys away. I frowned as I watched them, but forced my attention back to Kennedy.

“What’s going on?” I asked more suspicious and worried than excited now.

“There was a small problem at the airport in California.” Kennedy smiled weakly and my stomach dropped.

“What … what kind of problem?”

“Well, you see, someone wanted to come see you.” He started and then made a face. “Alex bought a ticket to Dallas instead of Baltimore without telling anyone.” I swallowed. I should have known this was a story about Alex. “And when we found out, we all tried to talk him out of it. I mean, the deal was give it some time and you’d come to him, right?” I nodded slowly and he sighed. “Yeah, he apparently didn’t listen very well and decided that he would come find you after tour ended.”

My eyebrows furrowed. “So how did you end up here and not him?” I glanced around, searching for his face, before steadying my gaze on a smirking Kennedy.

“I snatched his ticket and ran for the gate while he was distracted.” My mouth fell open as he laughed and shrugged. “It was two birds with one stone. I stopped him from causing more problems and got a free ticket to see you.” He tapped my nose and winked.

“Kenny,” I started but thankfully didn’t have to finish. He held his hand up and shook his head.

“I know there’s nothing between us, Dell, but you are still one of my closest friends and I did really miss you. I deserved to come see you.” He smiled and the knots in my stomach loosened. “Plus, I wanted to tell you in person.”

“Tell me what in person?”

“I found a girl.” He grinned wide and I squealed again.

“You found a girl!”

“Yes, she worked in the catering tent and ironically, she lives in Phoenix, a mere twenty minutes away from Tempe.”

“Wow, she sounds perfect, Kennedy.” I bit my bottom lip as I stared up into his warm green eyes. It filled me with such joy to know he’d finally found happiness too. “What’s her name?”

“July.” He beamed just saying her name. “She’s gorgeous and funny. She reminds me of you, sometimes.” He lifted his hand and cupped my chin in it. “Stands up for what she believes in, no matter what the world says.”

I giggled and nodded slightly. “Follow your heart.” I gave him his own advice back and he chuckled at that.

“Yeah, I think I will with this one.” He looked over my shoulder and frowned. “I wish I could stay and take you out to lunch, but I’ve got to hurry and book the next flight to Arizona or else I’ll be in serious trouble.”

I took his hand in mind and squeezed it. “Go home, Kenny. You deserve it.”

“You deserve it too, Delly Belly. Don’t wait too long to call him. He’ll go insane before too long.” He squeezed my hand back and then leaned in to kiss the top of my head before picking his bag back up. “I’ll talk to you later Daisy.”

“Bye, Kenny.” I gave him one last hug before he had to rush off to the front desks. I found my boys shuffling around the front lobby, all ready with their luggage. “You guys ready to go home?”

“Yes!” They all groaned in unison and I giggled as I pulled my keys out. It was nice to have them back, even if a part of me was still missing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dell. another update? whaaaat? lol; this is for Riss because I love her and she wanted to see the guys. hope you guys love it, and you know where to go and what to do ; ) comment!
xooxEmber