These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Nine

Travis crawled into the bed slowly, pausing to look up at Hayley peering over the other end of the bed. Sighing he flopped face first into bed slowly. Bathing her was more of a work out than his work outs for endurance competitions. Halfway through Jolene went home, leaving the bathroom door open and a stunned scared Travis alone, giving Hayley the opportunity to run off again, only this time naked and dripping went with shampoo in her hair. She’d only stopped when some of the shampoo dripped in her eye and she began crying and rubbing her eyes to get it out. Apparently the shampoo was not ‘no-tear’ formula and he was rather grateful.

Then after bath-time he had to figure out dinner, to which Hayley wanted to ‘help’ cook the child’s microwave dinner to which he then had to figure out something that she could help him make. So he had her open the hot pocket wrapping and put it in its sleeve for him, which she did with a little difficulty.

After that she wanted to color and play more, which resulted in him chasing her around to simply get her upstairs. That was ten minutes of exercise, plus a potential knee injury form tripping over the coffee table he nearly broke and another twenty minutes trying to get her upstairs as she freaked out.

He decided she wasn’t meeting new people because she kept asking to play with Andy, Jim, Tommy, and Jolene. Also asking where they went and did they wanted to play with her. If this was going to happen every time she meet someone knew then he was locking her up till she was old enough that she could deal with people on her own terms and he wouldn’t have to worry about chasing her around.

“Tabis…” she whined nervously making him groan in pain.

“No more Hayley. Go to bed.” he grumbled into the bed sheets, waving a hand at her

“Wha ‘bout da ‘onsters?” Hayley whispered nervously. Travis turned looking at her confused.

“I thought you were a monster.” He breathed gently.

“No!” she whined crawling over to him and tucking herself under his toned arm. “Da bad ‘onsters. Eyes a ‘ood ‘onsters.”

“There were no monsters last night.” He pointed out finding the logic in the situation, logic she didn’t have.

“Eyes ‘ear dem earl’er.” She whined, nearly cried as Travis groaned in distaste. This was just one more thing to add to why he wasn’t sure he could be a dad. Kids were non-stop, Travis did have a limit where as Hayley didn’t.

“They’re not going to get you Hayley. Besides…why…” Licking his lips he heaved a heavy sigh trying to find a reason that would put her mind to ease. “Why would they attack a giant like me?” He questioned unsure of what was dribbling out of his moth sluggishly.

Hayley whined unsure of the idea and crawled back to the edge of the bed peering down at the dark floor.

“We s’eeep wif da w’ite on?” She asked nervously. Travis rolled over and turned the lamp on watching her with half lidded eyes. With that she crawled back to him and tucked her self into his side.

“They wont get you I promise.” He whispered snuggling into his blankets and pillows.

“Pom’miss?”

“Promise.” Hayley yawned into his side and Travis silently thanked god as he felt her put her thumb in her mouth, a sign she was going to be a quite, good, easy to handle, and in this case fast asleep little girl.