These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Twelve

Travis kicked his feet up on the coffee table, an ice bag resting on his bad knee and a beer in his hand, and watched television trying to figure out why Hayley was so fascinated with the show. It was a bunch of grown men in different colored shirts running around singing, being massive pedophiles in his opinion. But there she sat, on the other side of the table, hugging Tito into her and watching the show with big eyes and an open mouth. The paper and crayons unattended in front of her for the first time Travis had ever seen. She never left them unattended, but there they were all by them selves untouched. It was almost a miracle.

Travis had found a new savior in four creepy, singing, ugly, irritating, dancing, freaks of nature called wiggles. Whatever wiggles truly were. His mother’s friend had told him about them and telling him they were better than Barney. At the moment, Travis wasn’t so sure if it was or not. A purple singing dino verses four singing pedophiles. So far Barney only had one problem, him, the wiggles had four.

The show went to commercial and Hayley turned to look at him confused about what was going on. Her hazel eyes wide with concern for her beloved wiggles.

“It’s just a commercial the shows not over yet.” Travis breathed. “Unfortunately.” He grumbled gently into the rim of her beer bottle. He paused with the amber glass to his lips. Did this make him one of those drunken father’s that people always had nasty things to say about? Well… if he was her father, did that make him a one?

Pulling the bottle away he looked at the half full beer bottle. It was his second of the night.

Eyeing the bottle he licked his lips nervously. If he was her dad, then this could make him that bad father.

Shaking his head he took a sip. Those guys always ended up beating their children and wives and that’s what made them jerks, not because they drank every once in a while. It wasn’t like he’d been drinking like a fish every night Hayley had been there, this was his second beer since she’d gotten there. Hell it was his second beer in a few weeks.

“Tabiv…” Hayley asked gently watching him curiously. Humming he looked down at her. “Eyes sit wif yew?” She asked gently watching him. Nodding he patted the spot next to him and watched her scurry up off the floor, dragging Tito with her.

“So can I ask you something?” he mused as she curled in his side to watch the show as it started again. “Why do you like these guys so much?” She didn’t answer him just stared at the television in aw. “Ah!” he laughed. “It’s mind control. I see.” He teased into the lip of his beer bottle. “Good work boys, good work.” He whispered at the pedophiles singing and dancing on the screen.

“Eyes ta’why?” Hayley asked once the episode had ended and Travis turned on the midday news. Humming he looked down at her confused, her little hand reaching up. “Eyes ta’why?” She asked again looking at the bottle in his hand.

“No you can’t have any.” She pouted. “You thirty?” She nodded. “Let’s go find you something you’ll like.” He grunted as he pulled the ice pack off his knee and stood up. “Come on, a juice box?” Hayley crawled off the couch following him quickly. “Milk?”

Tossing the ice pack into the freezer to re-freeze he licked his lips and pulled the fridge open, looking down at Hayley between his short clad legs.

“What’d ya want little one?” He asked watching her

“Eyes ‘ave ‘ooce?” She asked holding onto both his toned, hairy claves unsure if she’d get what she wanted.

“You only get one a day.” he stated looking down at her, his mom was strict on that rule that she only get one juice box a day so the sugar wouldn’t effect her too badly. “Do you want it now or later?” Hayley nibbled on her lips unsure. “You can have water, or milk as much as you want.” He stated still watching her. “But only juice once a day.” he held up a finger. “Or my mom will murder me.” It took everything he had not to say grandma while referring to his mother.

“Eyes want ‘ooce. Eyes ‘ave milk wait’ter?” she questioned up at him.

Grabbing the juice box he held it down to her with a smile.

“Then you get milk or water from here on out little girl.” Travis groaned as he turned heading back into the living room to watch the news. Hayley hot on his trail, holding up the juice box for him to open since she hadn’t mastered putting the straw through the tinfoil covered whole yet.

Sitting down Travis took the juice box from her and putting the straw through it. Happily she took it back sucking on it slowly once up next to him. Picking up his beer he began sipping it slowly as Hayley watched the news with him slowly. She liked the news. Why? Travis had no idea, he barely liked the news he only watched it because it held the weather and whether or not something he did prior that day police were looking into- meaning he had to lay low or call the station and apologize….again.

Whining at the idea of calling them and possibly getting Officer Dinora terrified him. Next time he’d ask who he was talking to before stating his name and apologizing. He’d ask for Officer Zimmerman…or the nice elderly guy he talked to last time.

Nodding he looked down at Hayley leaning against his side and smiled. Snuggling down he grabbed the blanket tossed haphazardly over the back of the couch and draped it over both of them. Hayley giggled as he pulled it over her head with a loud gasp.

Grabbing the end of the blanket she tried to throw it over his head only to barely reach halfway up his chest. Gasping again he pulled it over her head once more and holding it there as she giggled. Pulling it back he looked at her sitting there with a wide smile.

“Eyes see yew.” Hayley giggled up at him.

Pulling the blanket back over her head he looked around.

“Oh no!” He gasped. “I lost Hayley.” He teased.

“Eyes white ‘ere!” Hayley cheered raising her arms and the blanket while she giggled. Travis laughed still looking around.

“Where? I hear you.” He began calling out her name half heartedly while she giggled. She finally got the blanket off her head cheering.

“Eyes white ‘ere!!” Travis looked down at her laughing.

“There you are! Where’d you go? I couldn’t find you! One second you were there then you were gone!” He gasped sipping his beer idly as she laughed crawling into his lap.

“Eye no go no where! Eyes white ‘ere da ‘ole time!” She giggled up at him sipping on her juice box just like him. “Eyes jus unper da bankie.” Travis looked at the blanket then at her and quickly pulled it over her head. “No!” She giggled kicking lightly. “No!” Putting his beer down he reached under the blanket and took her juice box.

“Hayley! Hayley I think I found your juice box. Where did you go?” He called listening to her giggle and squeal with delight as he wrestled her back into the blanket. “Huh?” He looked towards the door at the knock. Standing he wrapped her up carrying her with him, and wrestling with her. “What is with this blanket? It keeps moving!”

“Eyes in it! Eyes in it!” Hayley called wildly as she twisted and wiggled. Trying to hold onto Hayley he laughed flipping her over only listening to her scream in delight as he did so.

Pulling open the front door he frowned at the man he’d hired to find Hayley’s mom. Smiling he stepped aside still fighting with Hayley and let them man inside.

“I see you two are still getting along.” Mr. Rogers, yeah Travis found it funny too, laugh at them.

“Yeah.” Travis laughed flipping her back over and uncovering her head, her fingers poking out as well by her chin.

“Hed’o min’ster Rogers.” Hayley giggled up at the tall man in a suit.

“Hi Hayley” Mr. Roger’s laughed. “Shall we talk?” Nodding Travis set Hayley down and moved back to the living room. After flipping through several DVR’ed things he stopped on one thing he couldn’t believe was recorded onto his television. Hitting play Hayley stopped jumping around on the couch and calling to Mr. Roger’s wildly and sat on the couch watching the television. Travis handed her back her juice box and led Mr. Rogers to the kitchen.

“Its mind control I swear.” Travis laughed as they sat down. Mr. Rogers nodded laughing. “So anything new I haven’t heard from you in about a week?” Travis asked nervously.

“Yes actually. I did find her and I’ve spoken with her.” Nodding weakly Travis shifted forward more. “She is dying. She’s in New York’s top Cancer hospital. It’s the best one in the word. They only discovered she had cancer because her Sarocri…another disease I fail to pronounce.” Travis laughed nodding. “She’s in phase three. Doctors predict she won’t live long and money isn’t a problem. She’d got enough money to stay in the hospital for the next six years all expenses paid. So they’re hoping to keep her alive but it doesn’t look good.”

“It’s always about money.” Travis whispered. “Well I went and got a blood test done a few days after I hired you it should be here any day and we’ll know.” Mr. Rogers slid a file towards Travis. Sighing he opened the file and the picture of a woman close to what he remembered in a hospital bed. The only differences was the golden locks of hair he’d been expecting was a bandana insides looking flat against the skull, her tan skin now a pale as the snow outside, and her skin clung to tightly to the bone. “God.” He whispered flipping the photo over disgusted with the sight.

“Is that the woman you remember?” Travis nodded weakly.

“Yeah I think so. Or Atleast a form of her.” He whispered weakly. “How long?”

“At best January.” Travis hung his head, when she wanted him to sign the papers by at the latest. “There’s an address in there and everything.” Mr. Roger’s pointed weakly.

“Did she say anything?”

“She asked how she was.” Travis nodded weakly. “I told her all the questions she asked me. She laughed.” He stated genuinely. Travis laughed nodding. “I told her she was in good hands.” Travis nodded weakly. “Then I had the displeasure of meeting her mother and suddenly I asked a private investigator I was an old friend. I don’t think her mother knows where Hayley went but the horrid woman didn’t question it either while I was there but I’ll tell you this,” Travis looked up at the stern tone. “I know why she’s not leaving Hayley in that woman’s care. She’d end up dead in a few short months. The woman thinks of nothing but herself.” Travis nodded weakly.

“Thank you.” Standing he ran a hand through his hair. “How much do I owe you?” He asked gently.

“So…” he stated once the wiggles were over and turned the news back on. “I finally got a hold on you mom.” Hayley perked up instantly and stared at him with big eyes. “She told me where she is.” Hayley’s mouth opened slightly. “I was thinking in a few days once it’s stopped snowing so badly and it’s safe to drive long distances we’ll go see her. What’d you think of that?”

“We go nows?” She asked jumping up and down.

“The snows too deep sweetheart. When its safe to drive. She’s in New York miles and miles away and I have to make plans to see her she’s busy. So we’ll go on a day it’s safe to go and she’s not busy so we can spend all day with her. Okay?” Hayley pouted. “I promise we’ll go soon!” He laughed pulling her down onto the couch as he fell over. “I promise you can even bring Tito to meet her.” Hayley tipped her head back to look at Tito sitting in front of the television still. Laughing he looked as well before nodding. “Don’t you think she wants to meet your best friend?”

“Yews my ‘eft fiend.” She stated seriously making Travis mouth open slowly.

“Oh.” He whined hugging her close to his chest. She was just too cute. He now understood why Jolene always said that. “You’re my best friend too!” He cooed letting het go slightly as she giggled. “aw.” He stated hugging her again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Halloween. :]