These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Eighteen

Travis rubbed his temples he couldn’t believe they were forcing him to do this. He sat in the back room looking at the television before him. He didn’t want to do another interview, he didn’t. He was grateful it was in New York and not Los Angeles but he didn’t want to do it.

Hayley sat in the middle of the room playing with some toys he’d brought. Jo sat with her laughing at some of the noises coming from Hayley’s mouth.

“Thanks Jo.” Travis breathed into his palms realizing if she hadn’t agreed to watch Hayley he would’ve been screwed.

“No problem. I love little bird.” That was Hayley’s name from all of his friends ‘little bird’. She even answered to it.

A knock on the door told Travis he had to go. Standing he picked Hayley up and sat back down on the couch.

“I’ll be right back okay? You be good for Auntie Jo.” Jolene squealed at being Auntie Jo as Hayley looked up at him. “I’m going to go talk to someone but if you want you can watch me right there.” He pointed at the television screen.

“Yews be on da t.b.?” Hayley asked softly. Laughing Travis nodded.

“Yup. I’m going to be on t.v.” Hayley looked at him before at the television that was on with the small man. “I’ll be right back.” Setting her back down Travis stood up leaving the room and closing the door.

Hayley watched the screen for a few seconds, he wasn’t on it! Pouting slightly she went back to playing with Jolene on the floor. Laughing the two made weird noises, Jolene making funny voices for Hayley as they played with her dolls and small toys.

Hayley stopped at Travis’s laugh echoing through the room looking up she stopped as her eyes found him on the television screen. Standing she pointed, causing Jolene to stop.

“Iz daddy!” She gasped, Jolene froze at the gasp. “Iz daddy!” Looking at Jolene Hayley stared amazed as Jolene’s mouth floundered at Hayley’s words. No one had ever heard her call him daddy before. “Daddy on t.b.!” Jolene nodded weakly smiling at the little girl.

“I know little bird, daddy’s on t.v.” Jolene breathed as Hayley looked back at him on t.v. amazed. “Daddy’s on t.v.” Jolene stated again as Hayley watched Travis talk with the host.

Hayley plopped down where she was watching him carefully. Jolene licked her lips watching as Travis talked about what he’d be up to that year. She sighed and looked back at Hayley so absorbed in Travis on television.

“Travis.” Travis stopped as he entered the room. Hayley lay on the couch on her back, thumb in her mouth with her finger curled around her small nose, and a blanket thrown across her and Tito.

“What?” Travis whispered hoping not to wake Hayley.

“She called you daddy.” Travis froze, his eyes meeting Jolene’s. “I’m serious. She pointed at the t.v. when she noticed you and said ‘Its daddy! Its daddy! Daddy’s on t.v.’” Jolene whispered slowly so Travis could absorb it.

Licking his lips he sat on the couch slowly looking down at Hayley

“I missed it.” He breathed pushing some of her curly hair out of her face. “I missed it.” He stated gently.

“I think that means she’s come to terms with you being her dad, Travis. I think she might call it to you, yourself, soon for an every day task or to simply point something else.” Travis nodded at the words and took in a deep breath again.

“How do you think she’s going to take watching me do that show tomorrow?” He mused looking up at Jolene nervously.

“Have you introduced her to a bike yet?” Travis stopped laughing nervously as he watched her. “You might want to do that.” She laughed pointing at him.

Picking Hayley up he nodded as he wrapped her up tightly and held her to his chest stopping as the host burst in loudly.

“Travis! My boy!” Travis froze as Hayley whined loudly. Trying to shush the loud, babbling man he stopped as Hayley began to cry.

“Thanks.” Travis groaned as the man stopped taking notice of Hayley in his arms. “I needed her awake and cranky.” Travis breathed as he petted her hair trying to shush her back into sleep.

“What’s with the kid?” The man snapped bitterly.

“It’s my daughter.” Travis snapped back just as bitterly that he’d woken Hayley. “Thanks for waking her.” He shot annoyed at the man. “It’s not a nearly impossible task to get her to sleep.” Jolene snorted at his tone only to get a blank stare from Travis. She coughed out a sorry as Travis turned back to the host. “What did you want anyway? Shh, Hayley, it’s okay. It’s okay.” He laughed as she kept crying, her eyes droopy and swollen red with lack of sleep.

“I wanted to wish you luck tomorrow and thank you for doing the show. I didn’t know you have a kid.” Travis rolled his eyes.

“Now you know.” Travis stated irritated.

Hayley cried and whine the whole short walk to the hotel as Travis kept her bundled up tightly. The loud noises and people swarming around them kept her from sleeping while Jolene tried to bait her into sleeping by stating if she closed her eyes and took deep breaths they’d all go away! It didn’t work just got tired glares and more huffs, puffs, cries, and whines.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the wait! It's was holiday season and my laptop crashed, but I didn't lose any of my work! So I'm back!!!
Expect alot of updates!
I luv you guys and all your comments!
Thanks a ton! You rock!