These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Nineteen

Travis made a point to show Hayley his bike. Sitting down on the ground with her she stared up at the massive bike, she remembered it from the garage the first time Travis had tried to give her a bath – a task he still wasn’t good at or very comfortable with.

“This is my bike.” Travis breathed from behind her. “I ride it, it’s one of the ways I work.” Hayley looked at him. “There’s this dirt track, like at home, only the one here isn’t covered in snow, I’m going to take this bike,” Gently touching it he smiled at her wondering, curious features. “I’m going to take this bike real fast around the track. I’m going to take it as fast as I can in a race.”

“W’ike Amppy and ‘Etch’el do?”

“Kinda, but Andy and Special raced around the house. I’m going to race around this big arena.” Hayley nodded weakly, confused at the idea. “We’re going to go out there soon and walk the track.” Hayley nodded weakly. Travis had a blinding smile on his face the whole time. “Because of this,” Touching the bike he licked his lips. “I travel.”

“Dat why no no yew?” She whispered nervously. Travis let out a held breath as she finished speaking. He wanted to hear her call him daddy.

“Ya. But if I’d had known I would’ve taken you with me or planned to be around you more. Now,” Gasping he poked her nose making her giggle. “You get to travel with me!” She gasped eyes wide. “Yeah. You’ll see all kinda of cool places!” He gasped at her leaning in as she smiled. “I can’t wait to show you my favorite places, I always wanted to find someone special to share them with.” She giggled and pushed his face back with a squeal of delight. “You wanna go for a ride?” Hayley looked up at it before nodding weakly.

Standing Travis pulled it off its stand and picked her up as it rested against his hip. Getting on him self, awkwardly he set her down in front of him.

“I want your feet here, okay?” He placed her feet in the proper places and patted them gently. “Okay?” She nodded nervously. “And hold right,” moving her hands her let her hold the center of the handle bars. “Here, okay?” Again she nodded nervously.

Wrapping and arm around her he stood slowly hearing her gasp.

“I’m going to start it now okay? It’s going to be loud and shake a lot.” Hayley barely nodded as Travis lifted his leg to start the bike.

Kicking the bike to life he sat down as she took deep breaths gripping the handle bar tightly. Sitting back down he wrapped one arm around her small form smiling down at her as she stared back up at him with wide, terrified eyes.

“I won’t let it hurt you.” Travis stated loudly, truthfully. “I promise.” Nodding she looked forward as Travis began to give it a little gas rolling around the area slowly. Proving he wasn’t going to let her fall.

The ride was short and easy, something he knew he wouldn’t accidently hurt her on and smiled as her pulled her stunned little form off it. Laughing he watched her stumble to the side as he set her down on the ground. Killing the engine he put it back up on the stand and proceeded to be dramatic and fall over next to her.

“That was fun huh?” He asked as she jumped into his chest. She nodded wildly. “I knew you’d like it.” He smiled wrapping his arms around her as she pressed her hands to his face.

“We’s dose again?” She squealed in delight as Travis picked her up to get her hands off his face.

“Later.”

“Now.” She gasped dragging out the sound.

“Later!” He gasped dragging out the sound as well, laughing at her. Hayley whined. “I promise. I gotta race tonight though and I wanna win! Don’t you wanna see me win?” Hayley nodded vigorously. “Then later, I promise and it’ll be longer too!” Clapping she giggled down at him.

Travis had never been so nervous to race before. He didn’t have just his parents and friends feelings to worry about if he got hurt or, god for-bid, died. Now he had a kid, the life of a two-year-old was in his hands. If he got hurt how would that effect taking care of her, or if he died who would take care of her?

Shaking his thoughts he prayed to God like he did before every race and started his bike in the gate, waiting to the start as the other races got into place. Taking deep breaths he turned to look in the direction his mom, Jolene, and Hayley sat. Nodding lightly he could feel the world slow down as the woman with the time card stepped out onto the dirt. Each breath lasted a minute in and out, his heartbeat slowed in anticipation, the hair on the back of his neck and arms raised, and sweat began to collect on his brow just under his helmet.

Hayley sat stuck between Debbie and the bar of the barricade, her hands gripping the cool metal as best she could. Her eyes looking for the bright yellow Travis had put on before the race, but she found several people wearing yellow. She turned her head looking up at Debbie and Jolene next to her.

“Whys dat w’ady no wear coves?” Debbie and Jolene looked at the skimpy dressed woman turning the side card sideways and rushing off the track.

“I don’t know why she’s not wearing cloths.” Debbie laughed looking down at Hayley. “We should ask later.” Hayley gave a firm nod and stopped as the roars of the engines rose in the air and a clang notified the gate had dropped.

“Travis got the hole shot!” Jolene pointed at Travis’s retreating back. Hayley sat up right as Debbie leaned down pointing out Travis’s flying form.

“See the guy out front?” Hayley nodded as she craned her neck to see. “That’s Travis!” Debbie watched as Hayley seemed to process this.

“Dat’s daddy?” Hayley looked at Debbie to confirm it.

“Yeah.” Debbie breathed looking up at Jolene. “Yeah. That’s daddy.” She stated more eagerly. “Daddy’s winning.” Hayley turned back to the race bouncing up and down in Debbie’s arm excited and yelling for her daddy to ‘go!’ “She…” Jolene nodded weakly.

“She hasn’t said it to him though.” Debbie’s smile faded. “She said it last night too when he was doing an interview.” Debbie looked down at Hayley babbling, cheering form and nodded.

“In time. It’ll happen soon!” Debbie pointed out. Jolene laughed nodding.

Exhausted Travis nearly fell off the podium and laughed as he stumbled back to his area. Sitting down he smiled at his mom holding Hayley’s sleeping form. Waving his mother sat down next to him, tensely.

“What’s wrong?” He asked instantly, since he wasn’t hurt in anyway. He watched her lick her lips slowly, nervously and turn her gaze to him.

“She called you daddy.” Debbie breathed watching as Travis groaned and slid down in his chair. “She kept cheering you on saying ‘go daddy, go!’” Travis rubbed his shoulder stiffly.

“How come everyone else hears her call me daddy but me? I just wanna hear it once.” Travis breathed.

“Yew prick!” The back-wood Tennessee accent threw Travis through a loop. “A race, wif out meh…oh ‘ello. Who’s this?” Hubert asked leaning over Debbie to look at Hayley’s sleeping form.

“Sorry Hubert. I forgot. I’ve been taking care of Hayley.” Travis breathed sitting up getting a confused look from the redneck. “Long story.”

“Travis is a dad.” Debbie shot in gleefully. Hubert’s head swiveled as he stood up right

“Wha? Yew?” Travis nodded. “Oh dear lord, this child is screwed.” He breathed into one hand with wide eyes. Jolene and Debbie laughed as Travis pouted.

“Thanks for the support.” He grumbled lightly and holding his arms up for Hayley. Debbie passed the small child to him carefully as his tired arms to Hayley’s weight easily. “I’ll explain later.” Travis added as Hubert’s mouth opened to questioned it again.