These Lines Were Never Established

Twenty-Seven

Hayley lifted the small ball to her face. She could see her reflection in the shiny red surface. Giggling she pulled it closer to her face looking at herself in it. Glitter was coating her hands and forearms as she played with all the pretty decorations.

“Hayley!” Travis laughed exiting the kitchen. Part of the main tree was done, but most of it was still bare.

Hayley sat in the pile of lights, tinsel, glitter, and ornaments a wide smile painted across her features. Laughing Travis walked over to the little girl and removed some tinsel from her head.

“What are you doing silly?”

“Coh’wec’ing all da purddy fings.” Hayley giggled holding up the red ornament to her father. “See!” She giggled. Travis laughed taking the small ornament from her.

“I see that. You did get a lot of pretty things but these pretty things need to go on the tree.” He pointed at it. “But we’re doing that after dinner.” Hayley eyed the half lit tree before looking at everything around her.

“Is on tree?” She pointed at the things around her.

“Yup they’ll all go on the tree when we’re done and it’ll be all pretty.” Travis pulled more tinsel from her hair and picked her up with a smile. “Look at you, you’re all sparkly!” Nodding Hayley smiled at him with a toothy grin.

“Daddy!” Hayley yelled wandering around the house looking for her father. All the trees had lights on them with a few ornaments but not many. It was late and she had been put to bed a while ago, she just couldn’t sleep! “Daddy?” She asked wondering around looking for him.

Heading up the stairs she frowned at no one around. She slowly made her way back to the bedroom and frowned at the empty bed. “Daddy?” With a squeal she rose in the air and spun to face the man.

“You’re supposed to be in bed.” Travis stated walking back to his room with her. This would be the third time he’d put her to bed.

“Eyes no seep-e.”

“You’re not sleepy?” Travis gasped. Hayley nodded energetically. “Well I am. So it’s bed time. And no.” He pointed at her. Hayley frowned at his finger as the two moved closer to the bed. “No more stories, you’ve already had three, from the other three times I put you to bed little bird.” Hayley gave a sheepish smile once her body found the bed. “Now we need to sleep.”

“Eyes wanna pay wif da f’ings yews go’s.” Hayley chirped up at him

“No.” Travis stated while crawling into bed as well. Hayley pouted but curled up into his side anyway.

“What the…” Travis slowed to a stop at the sight before him. His eyes scanned the large cardboard packaging. “It’s a…” Jolene turned to him confused, helping the man do his Christmas shopping. “What is is?” he asked looking at Jolene for an answer.

Jolene turned to the white cardboard box and scanned it. It didn’t get a lot of detail it was just sitting there in the kids section to their right.

“I dunno…” She shrugged moving on. Travis on the other hand, had to know.

“Excuse me, miss,” the employee stopped and looked at him. “What is that?” Pointing and the tiny stack of boxes he waited for an answer.

“Those are giant cut out gingerbread houses, that you fold into the right shap and the kids color.”

“Whoa!” Travis lifted both his hands. His ears were trained for certain words now, only after a few short months as a father they were trained for certain words and sounds. “That’s a giant coloring thing?” The woman nodded as Travis stared in aw. “How many do you have?” He ergently asked.

“Five…But we also have a store and a regular house.” She whispered confused. Not many had people had been buying them the only reason they didn’t have more was because the odd ball one was sold randomly.

“How many of those?”

“Travis what are you doing?” Jolene laughed seeing the odd boxes clogging the cart.

“Their giant cut out coloring pages.” Travis stated. He was buying them no matter what anyone said. “She’ll be busy for the rest of her life….or,” Shrugging lightly he licked his lips. “Till she gets bored.” Jolene laughed, patting him on the shoulder. He had three gingerbread houses, two regular houses and a store for Hayley. She was set for life in his mind even if she got bored she’d go back to it. Color was something she’d do all day if she could.

“Why are you setting them up now?” Jolene huffed at him.

“I’m not setting all of them up. Just a gingerbread house.” Travis huffed trying to unfold the impossible cardboard. “If can even open it!” Laughing he licked his lips as he got it all set up and popped into place. “Now we can hang lights around here and all the other crazy stuff you wanted to do with out her being under out feet!” Jolene pointed at the brilliant idea. “And when she’s done with this one, I’ve got two more for before Christmas and three for after!”

“Wow, you actually did something smart.”

“Hey!” He snapped playfully, pushing her to the side. “Be nice.” Travis eyed the house before taking off to get Hayley’s overflowing bucket of markers she kept getting and put them by the door.

“Think she’ll get it?” Andy asked over the couch, a bow on his head from where Hayley had put it earlier.

“Hope so, I can’t put a note on it. She can’t read yet.” Travis stated.

“One of the few things she’s yet to master.” Jim snorted at the idea.

“How your kid ended up so smart is beyond me.” Andy added lightly.

“Where is she anyway?” Travis asked, avoiding the remark. Andy simply snickered at his friends flushed face. Travis wasn’t the smartest man around but he wasn’t a total idiot, he just always did stupid stuff. It was more interesting and daring to do dumb things…though with a child around now he’d have to break the habit atleast a little bit if he wanted to be able to raise her right.

It only took Hayley five minutes to figure out she was supposed to color the gingerbread house when she found it and was currently going to town on it in a rainbow of colors. Travis and the others were hanging lights in the house with out a problem or her under their feet.