These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Travis lowered the gun of “Big Buck Hunter” and let out a deep pleased sigh as an arrogant smile plastered its way onto his face.

“That mikes five out of six Bell. I win again.” Andy groaned.

“I’m bored.” Tommy announced as he let out a deep sigh. He didn’t know what to do with Andy and Travis on a battle for ‘the best big buck hunter’. The two fighting, swearing, and pushing each other around wasn’t exactly funny to watch anymore.

Hayley rushed into the room swerving and pushing the pink Barbie convertible Jolene had gotten her for Christmas two weeks ago. Inside Barbie and Ken sat, the two dolls Erik had gotten her. Making the sounds of the car she swerved around the corner into the game room.

The swearing of the boys stopped hearing her coming and they watched as she slammed the car into the wall under a lamp table. Standing she took off running through the house.

Robert lifted his legs from the toy chest he was using as a footstool and kept reading as she dug through the chest. Hayley found several of her toys she wanted and needed to play her game.

“What the…” Jim whispered. Hayley rushed him pushing a big fire truck with the sound going and dropped several hot wheel police cars and one ambulance. Setting them down she ran away again before coming back with a helicopter. Making the sounds she pulled Barbie from the car and took of running through the house with the helicopter still in hand.

“I’m so confused…” Jolene whispered, wide eyed just like the rest.

Hayley ran back into the room, picked up the hot wheel ambulance and then took ken from the car and rushed off making the siren sounds of an ambulance.

It took a several minutes before she came back calmly, picked up the toys she’d left and began leaving.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Travis lifted a hand. Hayley turned to him confused, startled. “What was that?” He gasped pointing at where her mess had just been. She simply gave him a big grin and left. “I hate how she never tells me anything.” He breathed annoyed as if he were her friend, or boyfriend, not her father.

“Think it’ll be on her news?” Andy pressed.

“I can bet on it.” Travis sighed.

They all had to wait till lunch to find out what that had been about. Though it kept running through their minds, what was she doing?

All of them waited on baited breath as Hayley seemed to set up slowly for the news. Debbie and Robert watched the group of them confused, not having seen the mess and scene Hayley had made with her toys.

“An to’da in da news ‘Arbie an Ken gets in an ass’ident!” She gasped after letting everyone know what everyone else had been doing so far that day, even pointing out that daddy and his friends looked nervous and worried. She had saved her mess for last and it was killing Travis and the others!

They sat up hearing about the mess.

“Po-po’s an da wha’ba’lent sho’ up and take d’em away! It bad ass’ident!” Hayley gave a sharp nod. “An das da news!” Climbing out the box they all gasped as Robert and Debbie turned to the group of adults next to them.

“What? That’s it? How’s they get in the accident?” Hayley stopped as she took hold of her box, ready to drag it from the room.

“It dunk dib’in.” She shrugged.

“What?’ Even Robert and Debbie yelled them time.

“What happened to Barbie and Ken?” Jolene gasped, waving a hand to make her point.

“Barbie die.” She only got a few feet before they began yelling again.

“What? What happened to Ken?” Travis asked, stunned at what he little girl was telling him. She’d caused an accident that killed one of her dolls because of a drunk driver.

“Him fine, him dunk.” With that she got only got to the archway.

“He was the drunk driver?” Hubert yelled, standing to see the little girl.

“Uh-huh.” With that she was gone.

Silence settled over the kitchen as they all sat back in shock. Travis rubbed his face, eyes wide. He had a crazy, deranged two-year-old on his hands. First little snowmen she terrorizes like Godzilla, now a drunk driving accident that killed Barbie. What was next? For her to cut off one of their toes or something?

“This is why you shouldn’t let her watch the news.” Debbie scolded, picking up the rest of the lunch plates.

“You encouraged it!” Travis yelled, startled.

“No I encouraged her pretending to play news, not watch it!” Debbie shot back.

“Same thing! She had to watch it to know what it is! She’s only two!” He shot back, waving his arms in protest.

She did the only thing a mother could do when she knew she was also in the wrong; not say a word and ignore her child, and that’s what she did. Travis frowned at her, knowing what she was doing, she’d done it enough to him as a child.

“Fine! Don’t answer me!” Standing he left the kitchen. “Hayley,” She hummed playing with a teddy bear. “Where did you learn about drunk drivers?” He asked cautiously. He felt like he was about to give her the sex talk.

“Fu’um Pop-Pop’s ‘end Lou.” Travis frowned, confused.

“Lou told you about them?” Hayley shook her head handing Travis a tea-cup.

“No him talk to Eppie ‘bou’s it.” She stated. Finishing setting up her tea party she smiled at Travis, happy he was going to play with her. Travis gave her a weak smile.

“I’m killing Lou and Eddie.” He announced once Hayley was asleep for her nap and he was back down stairs. “She heard them talking about drunk drives, from them. Not the news!” He pointed at his mother’s open mouth. She shut it. “But yes, news bad I know. Now I’m going to take a nap!” With that he spun around and headed back up the stairs.