These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Thirty-Four

“Hi princess.” Hayley looked up at Ronnie Renner standing over her. “You wanna color with me?” He asked holding up pieces of paper and crayons.

Hayley hugged Tito close to her chest and nodded weakly. She wanted someone to play with. She just wasn’t sure if she wanted to play with a man who had originally taken her dad from her before the others showed up. That and he was wearing a huge yellow hat that looked like a taco. She wasn’t sure if she trusted that hat.

“Yay!” Renner laid down in the middle of the living room and spread the paper and crayons. “I’m gonna draw a dog.” He beamed at her.

Hayley walked over slowly. It was obvious the little girl was not up to her normal peppy demeanor. She sulked from room to room with a pout on her features and tears just on the brim of her eyes. Sad all the way to her core.

“Or do you want me to draw you a princess?” Renner tried, smiling at her. She simply shrugged and kneeled down a few feet from him. “You don’t want a princess?” He asked softly, worried.

Hayley simply pulled a piece of paper towards her slowly and looked at the crayons. Renner began to color as Hayley picked up a crayon and began coloring. He tried to talk with her but he only got a few responses but nothing like he was used to getting from the loquacious little girl.

“Anything?” Travis asked. He’d spent the first three days with her, the others rotating through. He was hoping Renner’s odd ways and happy go lucky personality would get Hayley to open up more.

“Just these.” Renner whispered. He held out the handful of scribbles Hayley had done. Most of which were scribbled through.

Travis looked through them. All of them were of a person with blue circles for eyes blond looking string lines for hair and a red D on its side for a smile. It looked like a typical three-year-olds drawing the only thing that bothered Travis was the large scribbles through the persons face.

“I don’t know what it is.” Renner admitted.

“She’s trying to draw her mom.” Travis stated. Flipping through the pictures he frowned. “She had blonde hair, blue eyes and Hayley says that’s all she remembers about her. That and she was in the hospital.” Renner rubbed the back of his neck.

“Sorry. I couldn’t get her to open up.” Travis nodded weakly.

“You tried.” Travis licked his lips and headed for the stairs. He’d been sleeping in Hayley’s room with her so she would feel safer. It also helped him knowing she wasn’t sitting in her room crying all night and scared.

The next few days Travis spent as much time with her as he could, only giving a little to X Games training as the others moved through doing both in equal amounts. Hayley seemed to like the days with Bilko the most, though the amount of Spongebob and Australian terms was killing Travis.

“Look, look.” Bilko cheered. Hayley sat on his shoulders holding Tito in one arm and Bilko’s Patrick doll in the other with a small weak smile on her face. It was the most of a smile anyone had gotten in almost two weeks.

Travis lifted his arms with a big smile, ecstatic to see his little girl with a small smile. It was better than the heart break pout on her face.

“I rule!” Bilko declared. “I rule don’t I?” he asked smiling up at Hayley. With her face hid in his short hair and shrugged. “That’s a yes.” Bilko pointed out.

“Looks like an, I don’t know.” Andy snorted from the couch. “How’s my little bird?” Again she shrugged again.

“You know.” Travis took her from Bilko. “We’re going to go see everyone in California.” Travis cooed. Hayley simply frowned at him.

“Mommy be der?” She asked weakly. Travis froze at the question.

“No, she’s not going to be there baby…” He whispered petting her hair. “She’s not going to be there.” Hayley whined as she hid her face in his chest. Travis let out a deep breath as he held her close to his chest.

“I want mommy.” Hayley sniffled. The sound broke Travis’s heart. She’d cried more in the past two weeks than the whole year Travis had been a father.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to be re-doing Swap around, cause I just noticed how poorly editted it is.
Probably going to make it a few chapter long while I try to figure out and finish editing the next chapters of Falling on Dead Ears. :]
Travis Pastrana and Jake Gyllenhaal seem to be my muses lately. :]