These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Four

Hayley pulled open the door as she adjusted her dress. Pausing she looked down at the front of it again, making sure the teddy bear was on the bottom left of the dress. It was.

Smiling happily that she’d gotten dressed her self her eyes traveled down the hallway both ways. The hallway was long and growing.

Shifting her dress again she took in a deep breath as she suddenly had on a leather jacket, a brown fedora, and a leather whip on her hip.

Licking her lips she began moving down the damp cave, taking note of the odd rock formations. The large one with a smiling face on it was familiar, it was the way she’d come. Letting her hand dance across the wall across from the rock formation she let her eyes wander past it.

The foyer table with pictures on it passed her easily as she headed down the hallway towards the stairs.

Hayley stopped at the steep tunnel down, the tunnel that dropped out of the cave and into the real world below. It was a long drop, miles of tunnel she had to navigate safely through into the last bit of cave and then out of the mouth of the cave.

Glancing around a small out jut near her head caught her attention; eyeing it then the slop she licked her lips nervously. Grabbing the out jut of rock she began to creep down the stairs slowly, hesitantly, testing each rocky surface before she put all her weight on it.

As she wiggled her way down the stairs she looked around. All the cave walls had faces on them, or images. Travis had pictures put up everywhere of friends, family, events, wins of his and friends, and massive tricks him or a friend had pulled. All the images were a lot to take in as Hayley moved down the stairs. She was mostly looking for her mother’s face with Travis’s to know he was a nice giant. Her mom wouldn’t be friends with a mean giant.

Hitting the bottom of the stairs she turned, looking around the massively large living room. Her eyes landed on the kitchen arch way, the exit of the cave. The sun light streamed in through the rock and vine covered arch, greeting her happily.

Tugging on the bottom of her leather jacket she adjusted it and began making her way towards the arch. The low breathing slowed her steps and caused her to turn ever so slightly.

Only two feet from her layed a large black dragon taking in deep breaths as it napped. With a small wine she bit on her bottom lip. She needed to make it past the dragon with out getting noticed.

Cautiously moving past the dragon and around the couch she stopped coming face to face with another dragon. Its massive head only a few inches from her as it lay with its side against the worn out couch.

The St. Bernard tipped its head side ways and let its tongue lull out of its mouth at the sight of the small child. It’d never really seen such a small person before.

Its tail began to beat heavily waking the other dragon and making it look at her two. Whining Hayley began backing away from both of them. The one directly before her stood showing how massive it truly was.

Travis sat jolt up right with his parents at the loud scream. Bolting out of his chair he skidded to a stop as Hayley came running into the kitchen.

“What? What?” He scooped up the crying little girl nervously, his heart pounding away in his chest “What’s wrong? Hayley? Hayley? Why are you crying?” He rushed as he brushed a few tears away. His parents stood on either side of him, trying to help calm the startled two-year-old. “Hayley why are you….” He trailed off hearing the heavy thunder of his dogs.

Looking up at the chocolate lab bounding into the kitchen followed closely by the massive St. Bernard Travis licked his lips slowly unsure of the situation. His dogs had never seen a child as small, or as young, as Hayley before. Nor had Hayley ever seen a dog before or atleast a dog as big as St. Bernard.

“Hayley, Hayley, shh.” He breathed hugging her into his chest, letting her cry. “It’s okay,” Travis swatted at his dogs as one of them tried to jump up. “It’s okay, they won’t hurt you, their nice. I promise.”

Robert and Debbie stepped back letting Travis handle the situation. Robert glanced at his ex-wife and raised his eyebrows while shifting his gaze back to his son for a few short seconds. Debbie smiled nodding, completely understanding.

Hayley shook her head. Dragon’s were never nice!

Travis crouched down.

“Sit.” He pointed at both dogs. They did as told, tails still beating against the hardwood floors, tongues drooping out of there mouths as they seemed to smile at Hayley’s crying back. “Look, these are my pets, my dogs.”

Oh course a giant had dragons for pets, what giant wouldn’t?

“Watch Hayley, they won’t hurt you.” Travis stated petting one of the dogs’ heads. Hayley turned her head, still sniffling as she watched Travis’s hand. “See, they won’t you hurt you.”

Whining she hid deeper into his chest as she watched him pet both dogs.

“Have you ever had a dog before?” He asked gently.

“He kinda sucks at this parent thing…” Robert whispered, sarcastically to Debbie, who snorted at his words and the glare Travis was shooting at his father. “What?” Robert laughed as Debbie headed back into the kitchen to finish cleaning up the dishes. “You do. Anything with out an engine and wheels you stink at.” With that Robert turned walking away as well.

“I love you too dad!” Travis called, annoyed. Shaking his head he turned back to Hayley who was watching him with watery eyes. Smiling at her he laughed gently. “I promise, it’s okay…ew.” He frowned as he pulled back his saliva coated hand.

“Sa’ee ‘ee no ‘ice!” Hayley pointed. Squeaking she pulled back her hand to find it much like Travis’s. “Sa’ee!” she wailed more tears building.

“No, no. It’s them saying they like you.” Travis stated. “Otherwise I’d have to beat them.” He teased. Hayley’s eyes went wide. “I’m kidding.” He shot in quickly. “It’s a joke.” Hayley’s brows narrowed. “Do you want to pet them?” He asked quickly hoping her attention would shift quickly.

Hayley looked at both dogs watching her. Whining she pushed herself deeper into Travis’s chest scared.

“This one,” Travis placed his hand on the chocolate labs head. “Is Moose.” Hayley watched as Moose began beating his tail harder against the wooden floor while Travis scratched his head.

Travis took Hayley’s small wrist in his hand and slowly stretched it out.

“It’s okay. Moose, gentle” he warned as Moose stood up eager to touch the little girl. “I won’t let him hurt you Hayley. I promise.” Travis breathed. “Gentle.” He warned at Moose stepping towards them. Hayley whined at the dog’s slow step. “I promise I won’t let anything happen to you, ever.” He breathed in her ear.

Slowly Hayley relaxed her arm and let Travis place her hand against the dog’s snout. Moose’s tail began to wag slower as he watched Hayley lightly pat his snout.

“See he won’t hurt you.” Travis smiled down at Hayley as she eyed the dog suspiciously. “Here.” Travis smiled. “Moose, down.” Moose laid down easily. Travis placed Hayley’s hand on the dogs head and let her rub it back and forth.

Hayley took note that as her hand moved over Moose’s head it seemed to make his tail beat a little harder.

“See. He won’t hurt you.” Travis stated letting go of her wrist as she petted Moose on her own. “Now,” Hayley looked up at Travis with large, slightly watery eyes. “This,” he pointed at the St Bernard, a dopey smiled forming on his face.

Hayley grimaced at the sight of the massive dog. He was far larger than Moose.

“This is Tiny.” Hayley huffed at that.

“Nuh-uh! ‘Ee huge!” She gasped lifting her arms in the air to make her point.

“No.” Travis laughed. “His name is Tiny. I know he’s huge.” He laughed at the flabbergasted look the two-year-old was giving him. Ever she knew that was a ridiculous name for the massive dog. “He’s nice too. I promise.” Hayley eyed the large, drooling dog nervously. “He drools a lot.” Travis whispered in her ear, getting a vigorous nod. “It’s kinda disgusting.”

“Wha’s dispusting?” Hayley mumbled into her fingers as she watched Travis closely.

“Means…uh…” He licked his lips trying to find the best way to explain it to the small child. “It’s a big word for making you want to say ‘ew’ at the sight of it.” Hayley began nodding a lot once more. “It’s disgusting. It’s ew.”

“Uh-huh.” Hayley whispered softly.

“Tiny, down.” Travis snapped lightly. “Go on, pet him.” He urged lightly. Hayley whined as she glanced up at him. “His not mean, just disgusting.” He teased.

Whining Hayley reached out and patted Tiny’s head a bit roughly.

“No, you gotta be nice Hayley.” Travis laughed petting Tiny’s head. “If he’s going to be nice and gentle to you, you gotta do that same to him like you were with Moose.” Hayley groaned and slowly began petting Tiny’s head nicely. “Yeah, just like that.” Travis laughed.

“I no do no more.” Hayley pulled her arm back tucking herself into Travis’s chest again.

Laughing Travis nodded picking her up and standing slowly, groaning as his knees both whined form the extra weight he was holding. Hayley wound her arms around his neck and hid her face in his shoulder.

“Told you they wouldn’t hurt you.” Travis laughed at her. He only got a whine in response. “Have you ever had a dog before?” She shook her head and lifted it from his shoulder.

“Eyes has a titty.” Travis choked as he stared down at Hayley concerned.

“Kitty, Travis, kitty.” Debbie corrected laughing at her son’s face.

“Oh! A kitty?” He asked Hayley nodded vigorously. “I don’t have a kitty…”he trailed off as he tried to not say titty on accident.

“Eyes has ones before mommy go to dah hos-pickle. ‘Ee tiny,” She held her hands a small distance apart as Travis watched her. “Eyes names ‘im so’ball. ‘Ee was all fuffie.” She rambled. “’Ee kidna mean doh.”

“You mom went to the hospital sweetheart?” Debbie asked picking up on the bit of information.

Hayley nodded nibbling on her bottom lip.

“Why is she in the hospital sweetheart is she hurt?” Hayley shook her head.

“No. Mommy’s sick.”

“She’s sick?” Debbie gasped, surprised. “What’d you mean she’s sick?” Travis set Hayley down in her chair, across from his parents at the table.

“She has so…so…” Narrowing her eyes Hayley tried to remember the disease her mother had. “It eeps at ‘er insides.”

“It eats at her insides?” Debbie gasped, truthfully surprised this time. Hayley nodded with a ‘uh-huh’. “What do you mean it eats at her insides sweetie?” all three adults were truly interested.

“uh…’er giver, and iz eeping ‘er wungs and ‘art.”

“What?” Travis and Robert asked confused, not having understood any of it.

“It ate her liver, and now it’s eating her lungs and heart.”

“What disease does that?” Robert mused gently.

“K.I.S.S!” Hayley nodded sternly remembering what it was.

‘Kiss? Like the band?” Travis asked just as confused. Robert shrugged with wide lost, confused eyes watching as Travis imitating his same movements in return.

“Hayley, sweetie, what’s kiss?” Hayley wiggled out of her seat running off “Hayley?” Debbie called confused.

Hayley rushed up the stairs, ignoring the fact that both dragons were following her just as eagerly. She bounded into Travis’s room and to her bag. The adults came rushing up the stairs after her worried.

“Hayley?” Travis called as he slid into his room, his socks letting him literally guild. “What are you?” Travis fell once he hit his bed and toppled backwards painfully.

Hayley kept digging as the adults watched her throw her cloths out of the bag. Debbie laughed at the average mess a toddler would make and leave around the house all the time. Travis groaned from his fall and the small dress draped over his head. Robert grimaced at the mess. One of the few things he hated about kids, messes.

“K.i.s.s!” Hayley chirped holding up the red plastic support bracelet. Debbie took it from her hand and paused as Hayley began cleaning up her cloths.

“Travis…” He groaned in response. “Are these all the cloths she has?” He groaned in response once more. “Five dresses and a few pairs of underwear?” Travis once again groaned. “We need to go shopping.” She added sternly.

“You and shopping!” Robert huffed taking the bracelet and looking over the logo of lips and the bold K.I.S.S. on it. Turning it over he eyed the five simple words on it: Kick In to Stop Sarcoidosis. “I’m goggling this.” With that Robert left for Travis’s office

“Hed’o.” Hayley stated once she removed her dress from Travis head.

“Hello.” He laughed watching her walk to her bag. “Mom…” He questioned. “Do they usually…”

“Nope. You’re lucky her mom has amazing genetics.” With that Debbie pulled Travis up off the floor.

“Thanks. I love you too.” He snorted adjusting his pajamas.

“We need to take her shopping. Get dressed!” Debbie snapped. “Come on Hayley sweetie.” Hayley rushed over to her and for the first time Debbie Pastrana picked up the small girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
I made this one a little long since I haven't updated this one too much.
Thanks for reading, commenting, & subscribing. :]