These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Hayley looked around nervously still crying as she waited. It felt like days as she sat there waiting for him. Rubbing at her nose she sobbed loudly, her little limbs pulled closely to her chest. Every once in a while she the doors would rumble and roar, scaring her. She didn’t know what was going on.

“Hey, hey!” Opening her eyes she looked up at the dark haired, blue eyed woman. “Are you lost?” she asked gently. Hayley only nodded as she kept wiping at her eyes. “It’s okay. It’s okay. No need to cry.” The woman’s warm hands helped remove her tears. “Here.” She used part of her oversized shirt to wipe Hayley’s nose. “I’m Lyn-Z.” She added with a warm smile. “What’s your name?”

“Hay-wee.” Hayley sniffled.

“Why are you siting her Hayley?” she pressed.

“Daddys and I’s was paying a games an dey’s cwosed da doors!!” Hayley sobbed at the idea. “Daddy says he’s comings but das a wong time agos!!” She added as loud sobs racked her body.

“Oh sweetie, come here.” Lyn-z pulled the small child into her arms and rocked her. “I’m sure he’d on his way. It’s a big building. I bet he’s running to get here!” She wasn’t wrong. He was in fact running, running with a limp from landing on his bad knee after a couple slips and falls, but running.

Hayley clung to this stranger tightly and hide her face into her chest terrified and happy to see another person, even if she wasn’t supposed to talk to strangers.

Lyn-z stopped as a lanyard hanging down the back of Hayley’s back caught her attention. Lifting the small ID card she stopped at the smiling girl’s picture and the information under it.
Name: Hayley Pastrana
Age: 3 years-old
Father: Travis Pastrana


Licking her lips Lyn-Z took a deep breath in and sat down holding Hayley closer to her chest.

“I’ll sit with you till your daddy gets here.” Lyn-z whispered into Hayley’s hair.

“Fank-yew.” Hayley sobbed.

“How about we play a game to pass the time while we wait?” Lyn-z asked as she turned and leaned against the large metal doors.

“Daddy says no move!” Hayley gasped startled.

“We won’t! We won’t! I promise.” Hayley frowned at the words, letting Lyn-z remove more tears. “It’s called eye-spy. Do you know the game?” Hayley shook her head no. “I’ll start. I’m going to pick an object, but I’m not going to tell you what it is. I’ll give you little clues, and you have to guess what it is. But you have to be able to see it!” Hayley watched her closely, taking in the rules of this new game. “I spy with my little eye,” Lyn-z pointed at her own blue eye with a smile. “Something big and colorful!” Hayley turned looking around the hallway.

She frowned there were a lot of things that were big and colorful.

“Come on guess!” Lyn-z bounce Hayley prodding her to guess.