These Lines Were Never Established

Chapter Forty-Six

Travis slouched in his seat. It was day eight of the trail. He couldn’t believe it was taking eight days. Hadn’t the judge seen enough of his defenses and witnesses? This was getting ridiculous. The Judge seemed to be purposely drawing this out as if he was trying to give Mrs. Greenee a fighting chance.

The judge came in and the session resumed. Sitting forward and proper he fixed his nice button up and waited. Mrs. Greenee started again. This time Mr. Linnen called him to the stand which oddly hadn’t happened yet.

He swore on the bible and sat down nervously. Running a hand through his hair he felt out of place without his hat as everyone looked at him. He could see Hayley waving and weakly waved with a small child.

“How long have you known about your daughter?” They were going to hit him with that right out the door?

“A little over a year.” Travis stated honestly.

“Why didn’t you know about your daughter beforehand? That seems a little odd don’t you think?” He asked bitterly, eyeing Travis.

“I travel a lot, and I met Ashley under odd circumstances. We didn’t really talk after a bit of a riff between the two of us. She never told me she was pregnant.” It wasn’t a lie but it wasn’t the whole truth.

“Because your daughter was conceived in a one night stand?” Travis winces.

“Yes.” He took in a deep breath. Mr. Linnen nodded looking as the file in his hands. “Mr. Linnen may I ask you something?” The man looked up surprised. “I understand you have a reputation, possible long friendship or even blackmail,” He watched him frown stunned. “started you in this case, but after it was declared that my daughter, who by the way, has a name. It’s Hayley.” Mr. Linnen hasn’t once used Hayley’s name since she’d thrown a massive wrench in his case. “Was hurt and abused by your client and there’s more than enough evident, eyewitnesses, police reports, and hospital documents to support that she is abusive. Why are you still even trying to take a child from a happy, loving home, that is supportive, caring and warm? I love my daughter Mr. Linnen. I don’t want to lose her and I don’t plan on it. If I’d known that Ashley was pregnant I would’ve been there through it all with her. So why are you still fighting? Because you’re angry a three-year-old smarter than you?” Travis shrugged. “If that’s the case live a day in my life. I deal with her all day every day. Getting corrected like you would not believe. But I love it.” He smiled. “Why keep fighting to rip a child out of a happy, loving home to go live with a cruel, cold abusive one?” Folding his hands neatly in his lap he waited for an answer.

“I’m doing this because, Mr. Pastrana, Mrs. Greenee may not end up dead if she goes to work.” Travis flinched. “She doesn’t throw her life and body in danger for a pay check. You do.”

“I get paid more than you could even fathom.” Travis stated. “More than you’ll ever see in your whole life for one backflip that I know I can land no problem. And if I don’t feel safe doing it. I let the event guys know, my sponsors know, everyone that I don’t feel safe and I’m not going to do it. Even when I don’t do it. I still get paid more than you’re getting paid to fight for that evil witch.” Shrugging he leaned back in his seat comfortable. “I could just go to events and talk, I get paid more than you. Tell me I can’t raise a little girl with everything she needs and more. Tell me that, honestly, do it and mean it and we’ll talk.” He shot bitterly. Mr. Linnen stared. “I may not be the smartest of the two who conceived her, but I’m not stupid either.” He added with s smile.

“No goat! Goatings bad!” Hayley yelled. Travis snorted laughing.

“Alright little bird. I’m sorry. I won’t gloat.” He smiled at her. She beamed happily at him and nodded. “Make what little case you got.” He sighed heavily. “But eight days is a long time to prolong your defeat.” Mr. Linnen glared.

“Tell me about this…” He pulled out a picture he’d never seen before of him with Hayley on his bike in front of her no gear on. “Seems a tad bit unsafe. If you want to gamble with your safety then fine but I won’t stand back as you gamble with hers.” Travis eyes the photo carefully.

“Well it’s a great photo.” Travis mused. “But it wasn’t shared with us. I thought all information had to be shared.” He looked up at the Judge who frowned As Jen was asking for an objection and over ruling on the picture. “But to answer your question.” He added irritated. Jen yelled at him not to respond and keep his mouth shut. He didn’t listen. “This is at xgames after a speed and style round. I wasn’t riding. I was sitting at a standstill during a break. She wants to learn to ride but I don’t have a safe way to teach her yet so she likes to sit on the front of the bike with me and pretend.” Handing back the phone he smiled. Glad they’d only pulled a photo off the internet probably. Mr. Linnen nodded. “I’ll teach her to ride when she’s big enough for riding gear and a proper fitting helmet with boots. Until then, she doesn’t get to ride.” He lied. She rode with him all the time. At extremely slow speeds for a short period of time but still unsafe and he was seeing that now.

By the end of day eleven all witness had gone and all evidence had been presented the Judge nodded slowly.

“Glad that’s over with.” He stated. Travis swallowed still nervous. “I’m going to state this now,” He added. Leaning forward on his elbows he looked between Travis and Mrs. Greenee. “We only spent eleven days here because I have to hear all evidence in a case like this before I make my decision. That’s it. I’ve pretty much been decided since day one.” Travis fell on the table irritated. Why did he have to pick so many witnesses? So this was his entire fault? “You made a great defense Mr. Pastrana, a bit of over kill but I get why.” Travis nodded looking up at the judge. “Mr. Pastrana take your daughter home. Bailiff arrest Mrs. Greenee for child abuse, neglect and the several warrants Mr. Pastrana brought to our attention.”

Travis jumped up hands in the air and flipped the railing as he grabbed Hayley, kissing on her he listened to her giggle while he hugged her close. He’d been so scared he’d lose her even with his over kill defense.

Standing he watched as Mrs. Greenee tried to fight the bailiff for her arrest. The judge stating she was the cruelest and dumbest human being he’d ever met. Going to court for a child that, clearly, had documentation on abuse due to her hand with warrants stating the same thing against her.

Travis had to admit she wasn’t the smartest or nicest woman he’d ever met. Looking down at Hayley he smiled. Now he just had to deal with the mom conversation with Jolene. That was going to be a breeze after what he’d just been through.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only a few chapters left. :)