Sweeny Todd

A horrible past and a new future

The world can be known as a very cruel place I should know since my world has just recently been shattered into many tiny pieces. My name is Azrael Rowena I'm a 24 year old woman, who has blonde hair and blue eyes whose hopes and dreams were taken from her by one man you see I used to live in Dublin Ireland with my husband and child living the life that every woman dreams of, I had a loving family who loved me with all their hearts it was something that I could tell you to be a very point of a fairytale but as usual for all fairytales there has to be a villain and my villain was Demetrius Turpin you see he was the Governor of Dublin Ireland and he is the one who took my Gerry and my little Shannon away from me it all started one day with me and my family going to the market and that's when he caught sight of me I tried to ignore the man's gaze upon me by staying ever so closely to my husband but I realized that his gaze still laid upon me, as I wrapped an arm around my husbands waist I held our daughter tightly to me for protection, Gerry noticed my hesitation and looked over to the man who was leering me, Gerry was known to be a very protective man and didn't like the way the Governor was staring at me, so he did what ever loving husband would do, stand up to him and tell him he doesn't appreciate the him leering at me well of course a sly character the Governor was apologized for his actions and wished him a good day Me and Gerry hoped that would be the end of that but how wrong we were it had been months and the man continued to pursue me he would literally beg me to leave my husband and my child but I would always refuse honestly who did this man think he was! Did he honestly think I would leave the family love for him!?! Honestly! It always enraged me so to think that he thought of me to act so lowly to do such a thing but I'll tell you the governor wasn't used to being told no no not one bit and that's when it happened one night me and Gerry hired a sitter so me and my husband can have some time alone and after our night together came to an end we returned home to see nothing but blood smearing our walls, I of course let out a terrifying scream when I saw the sitters throat slit and was laying on the ground, but what terrified me and my husband more was that we didn't hear a baby crying, "SHANNON!" we shouted and didn't hear anything we both quickly rushed to her nursery and the scene I cant even describe to you all for I could burst out in tears over the memory but I will after all this is the story of my life there we saw her our baby laying dead within her crib I let out another terrifying scream as my world was shattering down, I started to sob as my husband clung hold of me and hugged me tightly against him as he as well had tears rolling down his cheeks "Gerry our baby!" I shouted as I was sobbing into his chest, Gerry held me tightly crying as well "who would do such a thing to a poor innocent child!" he screamed and thats when we heard a voice behind us "why you of course" me and Gerry quickly turned towards the voice to see the Governor standing there with the police, I stared at them in shock while growing angry with rage knowing that this man had something to do with my child's death "what do you mean!" I shouted, the Governor smirked and looked over at Gerry "your husband is to be charged for the murder of Miss. O'Hara and for Shannon Rowena" my eyes widened in shock my heart dropping down to the floor, just then I heard Gerry scream at them "THIS IS MADNESS! I DID NO SUCH THING!" he shouted, just then two police officers stormed up to him and ripped him away from me "GERRY!" I shouted as tears continued to roll down my cheeks "Azrael! Don't you dare believe them!" he shouted to me, I then shook my head as my heart was shattering "I don't my love" I said softly, he then tried to struggle away from the police to get to me "Azrael you know I would never harm our child!" he shouted pleadingly to me, I nodded my head as I started to walk closer to him but the Governor then grabbed me "I know my love!" I shouted, the governor then smirked at Gerry and continued to tell him of his charges "Gerard Rowena is hereby charged for the murder of Miss. Sophia O'Hara and for Shannon Rowena and are sentenced to death by being hung by the neck" after hearing this I ripped out of the Governors grasp and ran up to my husband and hugged him "No! You can't take my husband away from me please he didn't do anything! He was with me the whole time!" I begged, the governor ignored my plea and yanked me away from him again, Gerry grew furious when he saw how hysterical I was and had to watch the Governor slap me, Gerry growled with anger and tried to rip out of their grasp again "DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH MY WIFE YOU FILTHY BASTARD!" he shouted but they slammed a mallet in the back of his head causing him to slump, "NOO!" I shouted as the Governor was trying to restrain me "Gerry!!" I shouted and ripped out of the Governors grasp and wrapped my arms around my husband and kissed him passionately, Gerry responded back as I placed my hands on the sides of his face and rested my forehead against him "I love you" I whispered as tears rolled down my cheeks, Gerry gave me a small smile and gave me a soft sweet kiss "I love you too my dove" he said softly as they ripped him away from me, Gerry gave me a reassuring smirk before he was gone from the house I couldnt help but fall to the ground as I watched them take my Gerry away as I sat on my knees I placed my hands over my face and cried just then I felt the Governor walk towards me and kneel down to whisper in my ear "next time you will learn not to refuse me" he whispered and then stormed out of my house after he left I screamed out of rage and threw vases at the walls I went and shattered all the mirrors and torn everything apart that was in our house because my rage was so fierce I didn't know what to do after all I just lost my child and I now I'm going to loose my husband what more can this life do to me what more heartache will be thrown at me I lost my whole reason for living and now I know I'll never have my happy ending...
Today was the day of Gerry's hanging and unfortunately, the Governor made me come and watch. I could not bear to go through this anymore, I wanted to run and rip that noose right off his neck while the man read his charges once again. Tears started to roll down my cheeks as I watched Gerry stand there with his arms tied behind his back, Gerry looked so calm and stoic while he stood there, but that is when I noticed he caught sight of me and smiled! He was going to sentence his false charges by facing the noose and yet I see him staring at me and smiling! Honestly has the man gone mad! All I wanted to do was start screaming at him, I wanted to run to him and hug him and kiss him, I wanted him to come home and be with me but I knew none of that would ever happen. Just then, the man asked Gerry if he had any final words, Gerry smiled over at the man and nodded "aye that I do" he then looks back at me and his smile grew even bigger "I LOVE YOU AZRAEL ROWENA! MOREOVER, I ALWAYS WILL! YOU AND OUR CHILD WILL ALWAYS BE MY LIFE AND WHEN I DIE I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I'LL BE THERE GUARDING YOU AND GUIDING YOU" he shouted, meanwhile as he stated his last words I could hear the crowd gasped and start to whisper from his outburst. I realized that I started to cry even more and tried to run towards him but that is when the rope gave way and the trap door opened and that is when I saw my husband's body fly down and had to see his neck snap from the noose and watch him die before me. I could not stay I had to run and that is what I did! I could not take this pain anymore... I ran as fast as I could back to my home and took all the money me and Gerry had and packed all of my clothing. I placed a picture of me, Gerry, and Shannon in my luggage and hailed a cab to the train station, unfortunately all the money I took was only enough for one ticket and I had to use all of it to get out of this place. I bought the ticket, walked up to the train, stored my luggage and sat down in my seat. The conductor checked my ticket and smiled at me, I would have smiled back at him but there was nothing to smile about my husband and child are gone forever everything I thought to be right in my life was gone. So now, I sit in this train as I headed on my way to London, hoping that I can get rid of the life that I once upon a time lived. Hopefully things will turn out for the better I don't know, but all I know is that I want to be as far away from the Governor as I can until I can figure out a plan to gain my revenge and trust me that man will pay.
As Azrael stepped off the train, she looked around her surroundings and saw tons of people bustling around the streets. She then let out a huge sigh and picked up her bags hoping to find a job around these parts. Azrael walked around the streets for hours not being able to find one place that was willing to hire her and must have been to every bakery that has been within these streets, and yet no one was willing to hire her. Azrael was starting to get very discouraged since the only thing she knew how to do was be a baker, it was her one and only job, other than cleaning up after her family and taking care of their home. She was now on Fleet Street and was looking around her surroundings until she finally came upon Mrs. Lovett's Meat Pies. Azrael let out a huge sigh and figured that this was it since this was the last place she can really go to for employment. Therefore, she brushed off her dress, picked up her bag, and entered the shop. Once she opened the door she heard a bell ring and looked up to see the little bell that we next to the door, she then suddenly heard someone shout from the back "One Minute!" Azrael shrugged and placed her bag down while she looked around her surroundings. This place was horribly dirty and looked as if not a soul ever entered this building for years. She figured that if she can convince this person to hire her, she could clean it up a bit to make it more hospitable. Just then, she heard someone come down the stairs and looked over to see a woman with wild hair and a dark dress. Azrael gave the woman her sweetest smile and saw the woman return it after seeing this she could not help to feel better "ello luv! What could I do ya service for? Would you like one of my meat pies?" Azrael then shook her head "no thank you I was actually looking for work and was hoping you could hire me" the woman then frown and shook her head "sorry luv I cannot afford to pay ya as you can tell I dont have much business" Azrael then put her index finger up and gave the woman a small smile "ah noticed tha! Ya see I used to be a very well known baker back in Dublin Ireland. And I bet you I can make your business more thriving than it has ever been!" the woman arched her brow at Azrael and then tilted her head to the side "and if ya were such a thrivin business woman why would ya be ere in London may I ask?" Azrael then suddenly had a very sad look on her face and bowed her head "personal reasons mum reasons why I need be leaving me home" the woman sighed and then nodded "ya not bein looked after by the officials are ya luv?" Azrael then slowly shook her head and softly frowned "no, just needed to leave me home I hope ya understand" the woman nodded "well I dont know what I can tell ya but like I said I dont really need anyone on the moment" Azrael frowned "please Miss! I'm in desperate need of a job ya dont have to pay me as long as I get a room and food on the table that's what I'll work for I promise I can help make your business profits go ten times higher please Miss! Please I need this job!" the woman then sighed and figured she may as well "alright luv ya have the job but as soon as we start making profits I'll be payin you it's only fair" Azrael grinned at the woman and hugged her "thank ya so much mum I promise ya won't regret it!" the woman chuckled and released from the hug "no problem luv now how about we show you to yer room" Azrael nodded and followed the woman up the stairs noticing that there was a second door as she walked up the stairs. "Excuse me miss what does tha door lead to?" she asked softly, the woman looked over at the door and sighed, "that be the room of the barber Sweeney Todd. You may not disturb him luv now onward to yer room" Azrael then nodded and followed the woman, as they entered to her room she saw a bed that was up against a wall, a piano that was on the other side and a dresser as to where she would put her clothing in with a mirror on top of it "I know it isnt much luv, but hopefully it'll do" Azrael then turned to look back at the woman and slowly nodded "it'll be fine Miss" she was then cut off "Lovett luv Mrs. Lovett" Azrael then smiled "nice to meet ya Mrs. Lovett" Mrs. Lovett then smiled and nodded her head "nice to meet ya as well please soon as your finished unpacking please come down so I can show ya around the shop" Azrael the nodded and watched as the woman left the room. Once Mrs. Lovett left, Azrael then started to unpack; she gently placed her bag on the bed, opened it, and was welcomed with the family picture she placed inside the bag. Azrael could not help but feel her tears prick her eyes as she stared at the picture. She gently picked it up from the bag and placed it up by the mirror as she unpacked everything else that was inside her bag. She then gently opened the door to have some air circulate the stuffy room and stared at the piano that was in her room. It has been so long since she has played and yet her heart was beating no music now but the words felt like they were slipping from her lips as she stared at the picture of the small baby and was within her husband's strong arms. She then looked at him and could not help but stare at his smiling face, feeling her tears roll down her cheeks. As she stared at this portrait, she started to sing. "Louder, louder, the voices in my head, whispers taunting all the things you said. Faster the days go by and I'm still stuck in this moment of wanting you here." Just then a man walked out of his room, saw a woman with yellow hair staring down at something with her back at the door, and felt compelled to watch and listen to her sing. "Time in the blink of an eye You held my hand, you held me tight, Now you're gone and I'm still crying shocked, broken I'm dying inside." (She then placed the picture on the mirror, placed her hands on top of the dresser, and bowed her head as tears rolled down her face and shook the dresser out of anger "Where are you? I need you don't leave me here on my own, speak to me, be near me, I can't survive unless I know you're with me" She then calms down but still keeps her head bowed staring at the wood of the dresser. "Shadows linger, only to my eye I see you, I feel you don't leave my side. It's not fair just when I found my world" She then became angry again and clenched her hands on the dresser her knuckles turning white. "They took you, they broke you, they tore out your heart, I miss you, you hurt me, and you left with a smile. Mistaken, as my heartache is hiding inside now all that's left are the pieces to find the mystery we kept the soul behind a guise." She then shoves herself off of the dresser and sat on the bed while she bowed her head not willing herself to look up "where are you, I need you, don't leave me here on my own, speak to me, be near me I can't survive unless I know you're with me (She then calms down again and felt her heart shattering into a thousand of tiny pieces) Why did you go? All these questions run through my mind I wish I could not feel at all let me be numb I'm starting to fall! (the man was staring at her intently not believing what he's hearing from this woman, could it be possible she felt the same as he did?) Where are you? I need you Don't leave me here on my own speak to me be near me I can't survive unless I know you're with me (she then sighs and softly whispers) Where are you?, Where are you? (She then shook her head as she remembered the last memory of her husband) You were smiling, you were smiling... you were smiling." Just then, she heard a sound, looked up, and noticed a blur rush down the stairs. Azrael then rose up from her bed, looked at the mirror, and cleaned herself up before she went down stairs. As she walked down the steps, she saw Mrs. Lovett sitting across from a man who was extremely pale but had wild black hair with a shock of white in it. "Must be Mr. Todd," she said to herself as she continued to walk down the steps. Once she made it down to the final steps the two then turned their heads to look up at her, which is when she saw Mr. Todd's deep penetrating eyes and the brooding look on his face. Just then, Mrs. Lovett rose up from her seat and pushed Azrael towards the table "Ah luv! There ya are! I was startin to wonder what ya were up to in tha room of yers" She then points at the man sitting at the table who was staring at Azrael intently "this ere luv is Mr. Todd he is this barber ere and owns the other room that is upstairs. Therefore, you will be seein him around ere a lot. Now do you know how to make meat pies Miss oh dear I never asked you your name now have I?" Azrael then slowly shook her head "no mum ya didnt my name is Azrael Rowena and yes I'm very familiar with meat pies" Mrs. Lovett then grinned at her and pushed her in the seat she was recently sitting in "ah wonderful! Now ya just sit ere and I'll get ya some gin!" she said excitedly and ran off "oh alright" Azrael said confused just then, she finally heard Mr. Todd speak "lovely name" Azrael then quickly looked up at the man and saw him staring at her "excuse me?" she asked softly, Mr. Todd then sat back in his chair and crossed his arms "I said ya have a lovely name" Azrael then gave him a faint smile and nodded "thank you I like yours too" Sweeney gave her a ghost of a smile and leaned forward in his chair and rested his arms on the table "now tell me what's a lass like you doin in a place like this? Mrs. Lovett has told me that you had to leave yer home in a rush whatever for?" Azrael sighed and looked away from his gaze. "My own personal issues Mr. Todd" she said softly, Mr. Todd then nodded knowing that she will tell them in further time. As he stared at this woman, he could not help but notice how much she resembled his Lucy. She had long blonde hair and soft blue eyes but he noticed in these blue eyes there was mounts of sadness within them. This made him even more curious as to what it was that made her eyes look like that. "Ah I see so I take it that it was you who was singing in that room just moments earlier." He said with a smirk on his face while he noticed her eyes widened in surprise. You heard me?" she asked starting to feel extremely embarrassed. Sweeney's smirk then turned into a grim smile "yes I did luv and I must say ya have a lovely voice" Azrael blushed and turned her head to look away from him "I'm sorry if I disrupted your work I thought no one would've heard me" Sweeney still had a grim smile on his face and shrugged his shoulders. "No worries pet, no harm done." Just then Mrs. Lovett rushed back in with a big smile on her face "ere ya go luv!" she said happily as she placed the glass in front of her and poured some gin. Azrael then shrugged her shoulders and took a small sip but then cringed by the taste "bloody hell thats strong!" she said distastefully causing Sweeney to smirk at her. "I thought the Irish were able to hold their alcohol luv." Azrael then shrugged "my husband wasnt big on alcohol" Mrs. Lovett then grinned at Azrael "yer husband ya say? Now why are you not with said man?" Azrael then suddenly had a very far away look on her face and sighed "none of yer concern Mrs. Lovett that's all I can say" Mrs. Lovett frowned by Azrael's comment and sighed "oh well (She then looks over at Sweeney Todd) Mr. Todd I do believe I have something for you would you be so kind as to come with me so I can give it to you?" Mr. Todd then nodded and then rose up from his seat and looked back over at Azrael who had her hands resting her chin on the table staring out the window looking deep in thought "would you like to come along Mrs. Rowena?" Azrael then looked up at him in surprised since she was deep in thought about her late husband and child "scuse me?" she asked softly with confusion written on her face, Mr. Todd then looked down at her irritably and sighed "I said would you like to come along? Are you hard of hearing Mrs. Rowena?" Azrael glared at the man and rose up from her seat "No I am not! I just have plenty of things on my mind is all" Mr. Todd then narrowed his eyes at her "dont we all Mrs. Rowena Dont we all" and with that he walked up the stairs, Azrael sighed and rose up from her seat "that man is nothing but utterly odd" she muttered to Mrs. Lovett who chuckled "aye that he is luv but a brilliant man he is!" Azrael arched her brow at Mrs. Lovett as she stood there and stared out into nowhere with a dreamy look on her face "ya alright Mrs. Lovett?" she asked softly, that knocked Mrs. Lovett out of her daze and perked up "oh! Yes luv just cheery ow about we go show Mr. Todd his possession that I kept safe for him" Azrael sighed and slowly nodded her head "alright" the two women climbed up the steps and opened the door to Sweeney's room, once they both entered they saw Sweeney standing and staring at a small crib, Azrael wondered why there was a crib in his room but figured that he must've had a family but where were they? Why werent they with him, she then gently walked up towards Mr. Todd and stood beside him and saw pictures of a woman with blonde hair holding onto a baby, she smiled at the portrait of what she believed to be his family and looked up at him "is that your wife and child Mr. Todd?" Sweeney then looked over at her with an emotionless look on his face, his eyes boring into hers. This made Azrael see the sadness that with held them. "Were is more the lighter term" he muttered and started to walk away from her and strode towards a large window and stared out at it. Meanwhile Mrs. Lovett kneeled down to the floor, pulled up a plank of wood from the floor, and picked up an old dusty black box. Azrael arched her brow at the woman and walked closer to her "what is that?" she asked softly as she kneeled down to look at the box. Sweeney then turned away from the window, stared down at the two women, and strode towards them looking down at the same box. Mrs. Lovett opened the box to show five silver razors laying in a row in the box. Sweeney the kneeled down next to Azrael, picked up one of them, and stared at them as Mrs. Lovett started to speak "When they came for the little girl, I hid 'em. I thought who knows. Maybe the poor silly blighter will be back again someday and need 'em. Cracked in the head, wasn't I? Times as bad as they are, I could have got five, maybe ten quid for 'em, any day. See? You can be a barber again." She says softly watching him gaze down at them. Azrael then gently placed her hand on top of one, picked it up, and stared at it not noticing Sweeney staring at her. "My lord, the handles are chased silver, arent they?" she asked softly as she opened the razor so its blade was now extended out and stared at the glistening object. Sweeney then gently took the blade from her and stared at it while he softly sang "Silver, yes These are my friends. See how they glisten. See this one shine, how he smiles in the light, my friend, my faithful friend. (He then held the razor to his ear, feeling the edge with his thumb) Speak to me, friend. Whisper, I'll listen. I know, I know, you've been locked out of sight, all these years Like me, my friend. Well, I've come home to find you waiting. Home, and we're together, and we'll do wonders, won't we? (He then gently rose up to his feet as Azrael stared up at him noticing Mrs. Lovett was now looking over his shoulder and starts to feel his other ear lightly, absently, in her own trance. As Sweeney lays the razor back in the box and picks out a larger one. Ignoring her) you there, my friend. Come, let me hold you. Now, with a sigh you grow warm in my hand, my friend, my clever friend.(He then gently places it back) Rest now, my friends. Soon I'll unfold you. Soon you'll know splendors you never have dreamed all your days, my lucky friends. Till now, your shine was merely silver. Friends you shall drip rubies, you'll soon drip precious Rubies..." Azrael stared at him confused as to what he meant by his blades dripping rubies but assumed it was his own way of and stating something else. However, there was one thing that she noticed which was that it seemed that Mrs. Lovett very attached to this man and it almost made her wonder if there was something between her and Mr. Todd. Sure, it is not her business even if there was something but it confused her since it seemed that Sweeney had a wife and child, but on the other hand, she figured that maybe Mrs. Lovett had feelings for him yet he did not reciprocate said feelings. Just then, she heard Mrs. Lovett sing as she stood behind Sweeney as he gazed down at the box while it seemed that his thoughts were placing him in another world. "I'm your friend too, Mr. Todd. If you only knew, Mr. Todd Ooh, Mr. Todd, you're warm in my hand. You've come home. Always had a fondness for you, I did. Never you fear, Mr. Todd, You can move in here, Mr. Todd. Splendors you never have dreamed all your days will be yours. I'm your friend. Don't they shine beautiful? Silver's good enough for me, Mr. T." and as she sang this song Azrael noticed how he completely ignored her. In a way, she felt bad for the woman because it seemed like he was only tolerating Mrs. Lovett but she could be wrong, maybe he was only acting like this because she was in the room. She then notices that he held up his biggest razor into the light and heard him speak into the silence "at last my arm is complete again"